Impact Wrench Question

Can torque levels be set on an impact wrench?
Hypothetically If you wanted to spend the money yes to some extent. ErgoPulse PTS and PTX both shut the air flow off when a set torque is reached.
These are used mostly on assembly lines and not for general use. Setting either the air or cordless ones on the lowest setting is usually same for initial running down of lug nuts, practice and care!

Conceptually, this is fascinating:

Full 960 ft lbs in reverse but torque limited to 66 ft lbs in the forward direction.
It is and not expensive. Hmmm LOL

It sounds like you're talking about a pneumatic (air) impact a wrench, that is hooked up to a compressor, and looks like the pic I attached. If that's true, you can buy socket extensions specifically for impact wrenches that are set to a torque. Click here for an example. Click here for an example of sockets and extensions. (I am not recommending these items, I have no idea about them). I've seen them mostly at tire change locations, as they are a quick way to get the torque spec.

View attachment 66807
That looks like the gun I have. I admittedly haven't looked very hard, but I haven't been able to find what the numbered knob settings mean.

Can torque levels be set on an impact wrench?
Simple answer is accurately, no. Air pressure and air volume play a big part in an impacts tightening or loosening ability. Now if you put a torque stick on the impact it will limit the torque.

Just my $0.02

It can if you need that sort of industrial tool, accurate to within very small degree. Specialty tools.

I think every impact I have ever used was adjustable, even the battery ones. The only one I can think of that has no adjustment is the Black and Decker electric (120v), but it's not that powerful or fast so it's hard to over tighten things with that one.

I think the question refers to actual torque setting eg 50nm/ft.lb, this is not possible with impacts with multiple settings and variable trigger, only the ones that release the air once that actual setting has been reached can do that, the setting is adjustable and the gun will not tighten beyond that setting. That type of gun is not very good in everyday use, they are mostly for use on assembly lines and repetitive work requiring the same setting.

So many different type of tools are called "impact wrench." Are we talking a pneumatic air gun or Wrench? Cordless impact? It greatly informs the answer, as well as possibly sufficient options to accomplish what you're hoping.
Impact wrench needs to have a hammer. But can pneumatic or AC or cordless.

If you must use a impact wrench I would highly recommend to first and foremost follow a pattern of the torqueing sequence. Then on the final set lower the impact wrench setting and finish with a hand/manual torque wrench.

Back