Im likin' Meguiars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nick1994

$100 site donor 2024
Now I'm not much of a car detailer, some of you guys spend hours and hours and have 100 steps into making an old car look brand new. Which is great but I just don't have the patience to do so. I also don't have a buffer. The Beetle has been fairly neglected as far as keeping it clean, my aunt drove it for 10 years and there was a couple times the only time it would get washed was by the dealer every 10k miles at oil change time, although it has seen an "auto spa" several times and has been hand waxed there but it's been quite a while.
All I did to it was wash it with Armor All Wash & Wax soap - I like the stuff - and a wool mit
I dried it with "The Absorber" - Love that thing
Clay barred it with some Meguiars Ultimate Quik Wax
Used Meguiars Ultimate Liquid Wax with the foam applicator and wiped off with the supplied microfiber towel.

It took me about 1.5-maybe 2 hours start to finish. I'm very happy with the result and it was really easy. I thought with waxing a car I was gonna need a buffer and 15 different cleaners, polishes, waxes, sealants and all kinds of stuff.

The car was hit by a tire years ago on the freeway and the body shop who repainted the hood and bumper did a TERRIBLE job and used awful paint, so ignore that.

The car is not perfect, especially my detailing skills but it looks 100x better than it did this morning.

Pics were taken with my iPhone 5s
whyyhz.jpg

spf5gm.jpg

2drfau1.jpg

It's nice I prefer the ultimate paste myself. It goes father and weither they say it or not I feel it lasts longer. Really need to do my car....

Just so hot here no real encouragement to wash/claybar/compound/polish/sealent/sealent

Only have to do it ounces every 5-6 months (sealent)

But still. Just make sure to wash it off and dry it once a week and if you like give it a good wipe down with the ultimate quick wash once a week
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: 3800Series
It's nice I prefer the ultimate paste myself. It goes father and weither they say it or not I feel it lasts longer. Really need to do my car....

Just so hot here no real encouragement to wash/claybar/compound/polish/sealent/sealent

Only have to do it ounces every 5-6 months (sealent)

But still. Just make sure to wash it off and dry it once a week and if you like give it a good wipe down with the ultimate quick wash once a week
smile.gif

Yeah it's 107 here today, luckily I have a cooler in the garage which wouldn't work where you are since they don't work well in humidity.

I'm sure the car will be brown in a couple days with dust.

Considering the abuse it endured over the years I think it is entirely acceptable. Seems to me that you did a fine job all factors considered.

I use the liquid version of that wax. I like most of their products: gold class leather cleaner and preserver, tech plastic preserver, clear pastic cleaner/preserver.

Last edited:
I'm a Megs fan, too, although I can't really tell the diff btwn the Ultimate and the NXT, both are really superb.

I recall as a kid starting with Turtle Wax..struggling to get all that dried green wax out of the crannies... and then graduating all the way up to Classic..remember that? Hard a s rock caranuba that made you really work to get...maybe 3 months of average shine. Nothing compares to the modern stuff, you can really see how technology and science have improved wax over time.

This was a picture that was posted on Detail Buddies a few days ago:

10478532_10154429571230257_7917831475995640029_n.jpg

The right side has Meguiars Ultimate Wax applied, the left side is before. The user had applied the Ultimate Wax using a DA.

Can you say major fillers?

The user said that most of the defects returned after the first rain storm.
lol.gif

So, good work on the process of the detail - but just be aware that there is probably some major filling going on.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

I just recently switched from turtle wax paste to Meguire's Gold Class that I bought on sale CT a year ago and never used.

With the foam circle they provide, it was about an hour job to wash and quickly wax my black 2010 Honda Fit.

I was really happy with the end result.

I was also surprised how little of the bottle of Meguires I used.

I have enough left over to do at least another 2 wax jobs.

Funny though, the beading is so insane that one morning I had the window open and there was water on my roof all beaded up.

I made a right turn with my window open and it poured a cup of water onto my window switches.

Now I know to let the water come off the car from driving for a bit before opening the windows!

Originally Posted By: razel
Nice job... only thing... could be a typo:

Quik Wax or Quik Detailer?

Quik Wax - the spray kind. Am I supposed to use the detailer? I have that too just didn't use it

Originally Posted By: Noey
I'm a Megs fan, too, although I can't really tell the diff btwn the Ultimate and the NXT, both are really superb.

I recall as a kid starting with Turtle Wax..struggling to get all that dried green wax out of the crannies... and then graduating all the way up to Classic..remember that? Hard a s rock caranuba that made you really work to get...maybe 3 months of average shine. Nothing compares to the modern stuff, you can really see how technology and science have improved wax over time.

Yeah I can't stand paste wax. Or at least turtle wax, it keeps showing up after using it.

Originally Posted By: Falken
I just recently switched from turtle wax paste to Meguire's Gold Class that I bought on sale CT a year ago and never used.

With the foam circle they provide, it was about an hour job to wash and quickly wax my black 2010 Honda Fit.

I was really happy with the end result.

I was also surprised how little of the bottle of Meguires I used.

I have enough left over to do at least another 2 wax jobs.

Funny though, the beading is so insane that one morning I had the window open and there was water on my roof all beaded up.

I made a right turn with my window open and it poured a cup of water onto my window switches.

Now I know to let the water come off the car from driving for a bit before opening the windows!

If you only get 3-4 waxes out of a bottle of liquid wax, you're using way, way too much. Even being heavy handed I could get at least 20 waxings for a small car like the Fit.

Use a damp applicator microfiber ones work even better for applying by hand, prime the pad first with two thin lines of wax and apply it to your first panel. Then after that all you'll need is 1-2 pea sized drops per subsequent panel.

The wax after applying shouldn't dry to a thick haze. Ideally the right amount should look like a smeared greasy fingerprint. More than that and you're using too much and wasting it. And the plus side is you'll apply it faster and remove it faster, plus it'll dry faster. All just by using less wax. And the protection will be just as good if not better. Better if you're wiping too early because the wax hasn't dried because it was applied too thick.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: qwertydude
If you only get 3-4 waxes out of a bottle of liquid wax, you're using way, way too much. Even being heavy handed I could get at least 20 waxings for a small car like the Fit.

Use a damp applicator microfiber ones work even better for applying by hand, prime the pad first with two thin lines of wax and apply it to your first panel. Then after that all you'll need is 1-2 pea sized drops per subsequent panel.

The wax after applying shouldn't dry to a thick haze. Ideally the right amount should look like a smeared greasy fingerprint. More than that and you're using too much and wasting it. And the plus side is you'll apply it faster and remove it faster, plus it'll dry faster. All just by using less wax. And the protection will be just as good if not better. Better if you're wiping too early because the wax hasn't dried because it was applied too thick.

I'm probably using too much, but I've done 2 cars with this bottle and it's still almost full.

Originally Posted By: The Critic
This was a picture that was posted on Detail Buddies a few days ago:

10478532_10154429571230257_7917831475995640029_n.jpg

The right side has Meguiars Ultimate Wax applied, the left side is before. The user had applied the Ultimate Wax using a DA.

Can you say major fillers?

The user said that most of the defects returned after the first rain storm.
lol.gif

So, good work on the process of the detail - but just be aware that there is probably some major filling going on.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=...e=1&theater

I've never seen UW fill like that. Not doubting just saying. However, on a dd, filling is fine to me. Also, UW is very underrated. I use it exclusively on my cars. Durability rivals 845, it looks great, and the water behavior is pretty amazing. Not everyone is as nut as you and I, Critic.
smile.gif
. However, that being said, I am not a coating guy and I choose UW over and over.

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
Originally Posted By: razel
Nice job... only thing... could be a typo:

Quik Wax or Quik Detailer?

Quik Wax - the spray kind. Am I supposed to use the detailer? I have that too just didn't use it

Yes, use the Quik detailer next time. A spray detailer's job is to minimize scratches when doing quick spot cleaning of your car. That along with it's lubrication is perfect for claying. A Quik Wax is exactly that. Putting on a layer of wax quickly. It's not the end of the world though... just use the detailer next time.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back