I'm becoming a double edged razor hoarder!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since I first starting reading the threads on double edged razors, I've become quite interested in them.

I started my adventure in D/E shaving with a Mercur 34c- an exceptionally well built piece! It shaved as good or better than the Gillette 5 bladed fuzion that cost more than I'd like to admit to refill. Well, I've been on the lookout for some of the older razors that other members here speak of- and I've found a few.

The first was a Ball end Gillette Tech produced somewhere between 1946-1950, according to the Badger and Blade wiki. I found it at a local antique/junk/collectible store. Using Feather blades, this thing is even better than the Mercur, but not as nice/easy to handle.

Today my wife and I went in search of a new coffee pot and happened into a few more antique/collectible/junk stores and found a Schick Krona and a Lady Gillette. For $8.00 (2 for the Lady Gillette and 6 for the Krona) At another store, we found an adjustable Gillette in quite good condition- I gave more for it than I'd have liked to, but it was in good shape and I wanted to give it a try.

I took them all home and gave them a bath in the ultra sonic cleaner with some Simple Green. After that, I soaked them in bleach (which proved to be a mistake).

I've only tried the Krona so far- and it seems to do a great job, maybe even better than the Ball End Gillette... As the days go by I'll get to know them better, but I doubt that I'll be disappointed.

But there's a problem- I still want more!?!?!?! Darn you, darn you all!!!!!

As for the old Ball End Gillette, I have a friend that does anodizing, and am hoping he can save the day.

a47424ed-77e0-4414-a2bf-893d9e5640ae_zpsaohxvadh.jpg

Be smart and hold onto these vintage Gillette, Gem, Hoffritz, double edge razors. They are no longer made and will be in great demand in the future. Just take a look at the quality of the vintage DE razors that will no longer be produced. Quality materials meant to last a lifetime....actually many lifetimes, if properly cared for by the owner. Nickel plated brass are things of the past and the plants used to produce these shaving tools in the USA no longer exist. Everything is disposable today and they have shavers brainwashed into buying expensive cartridge razor refills for $30 a month.

Although millions of Double Edge razors were manufactured by Gillette, prior to the 1970, not many exist today that are in usable condition. Most of these Double Edge razors, most likely, wound up in landfills where they disintegrated from corrosion.

I'm glad that we can still get quality Double Edge blades from Europe, Asia etc via online sites....since the selection from brick and mortar stores in the USA is pathetic.

I was looking at razors in our local supermarket the other day.

All high priced, multi blade razors,

No Double Edge blades available at all.
frown.gif

I'm still amazed at the quality of shave I get since converting to DE shaving a couple of months back
thumbsup2.gif

I tried DE shaving for 2 weeks and it wasn't for me. I prefer a rotary electric. My dad gave me his old DE razors with blades. One razor was a Gillette Fatboy and another was an adjustable Gillette. I traded the razors with my brother for an old candlestick table.

2elclxj.jpg

It's always interesting to see the different variations of double edge razors and they can be addictive to collect.

Originally Posted By: mongo161
Although millions of Double Edge razors were manufactured by Gillette, prior to the 1970, not many exist today that are in usable condition.

That's not quite correct. You can find hundreds of them on Ebay at any time, and after I managed to pick up a dozen or so I stopped buying them at estate auctions.
They are also very easy to fix and restore. I repaired a couple of Gillette Super Speeds over the winter that I picked up at auctions and sold them on Ebay. In reasonable shape they fetch a good price.

I originally used a double edged razor with Gillette blue blades. Blue blades had to be replaced after each use because they rusted almost immediately. Then came Wilkinson Sword stainless steel blades which, while much more expensive, could be used over several days, or a week or more.

After several years with an electric razor (a Christmas gift, which eventually quit), I went on to a Gillette Sensor with twin blade refills, which I've used for 20 or 30 years or more. Sensor blades are getting quite hard to find now, with 3 blade, 5 blade, and swivel head razors and all. If I didn't know better I'd suspect there was some sort of built in obsolescence going on here.

Sensor blades are expensive but my cost is quite low because I use them for a full 3 months, changing them on the first day of each quarter.

I missed out on a newer Sensor handle when my F-I-L died, because my S-I-L is really quick about throwing out "junk". So I'd suggest collecting a good Sensor handle if you run across one. I'm on the look out for another one as I don't know how long a mostly plastic handle can last.

I'm stopping my hoarding after I receive my SS Wolfman WR1-SB. I'm contemplating ordering the WRH3 Handle with it, it looks really Star Wars.

I have a Merkur 33C, 47C, a Maggard MR6, so I'm good for the rest of my life, hopefully.

Now I am able to DE shave faster than any other previous shave method without nicks, and zero irritation.

So I don't feel bad about my small collection because I can use them all.

I wonder if DE razors will again be sold from mainstream retailers in North America?

It seems traditional shaving IS making a bit of a comeback.
could the market be big enough?

If it were to make a comeback, the reason 100% is because people go LONGER between shaves.

No other shave method can handle 10 days of growth for me with such ease.

And I don't think many would find a straight razor to be a viable mainstream alternative.

I still use my 40+ year old Gillette Twin Trac every day. Hope Gillette continues to make the Trac II blades for a few more years. Never cared for the double edge blades. One had to be very careful shaving with the double edge razor. The Twin Trac is much safer to use. I can't remember the last time I cut myself shaving.

Originally Posted By: Falken
If it were to make a comeback, the reason 100% is because people go LONGER between shaves.

No other shave method can handle 10 days of growth for me with such ease.

And I don't think many would find a straight razor to be a viable mainstream alternative.

I think Hollywood has killed any idea that a straight razor might make a comeback.

But I think DE could, with the right marketing.
Some points on which to sell:

Environmentally friendly.

Closer shave (arguably)

Nostalgia (shave like Dad used to)

More 'Manly' (there is a perceived risk)

Less Gimmicky (Razors are running out of how many blades they can have etc. Running out of ideas of things New. Advertisements are bordering on the Juvenile)

Points to overcome:

New users may fear they may look like they took a Face-full of Bird Shot after their first shave (educate, nicks are not inevitable)

Loading and changing Blades should be easy (Gillette used to have a dispenser for this)

Razors should Look more Up-to-date / Sexy (not quite like you Granddad's Gillette)

Razors should be NON Adjustable (To paraphrase Colin Chapman "If I made it adjustable, some idiot would adjust it")
Sell razors as Mild, Regular, Aggressive. Blades also.

Best way to make an impact on the market might be to show some rugged Movie / TV Idol using a DE razor.
Somehow I can't imagine James Bond using a Plastic, Multi Blade, Wobbly razor!

Originally Posted By: HosteenJorje
I still use my 40+ year old Gillette Twin Trac every day. Hope Gillette continues to make the Trac II blades for a few more years. Never cared for the double edge blades. One had to be very careful shaving with the double edge razor. The Twin Trac is much safer to use. I can't remember the last time I cut myself shaving.

Safer??? What? I have a difficult to shave face- even the newest, greatest whiz bang razor with 38 blades would nick me from time to time. Using double edge razors I've purchased has resulted in some nicks- both from my own error and because my face is a tough one to shave. Definitely not so many as to be considered a problem... and as I gain experience, the nicks are growing less.

Originally Posted By: UncleS2
For cleaning, you want Scrubbing Bubbles. No more bleach! Nice finds.

I'll try the Scrubbing Bubbles for future cleaning, however I used Simple Green in my ultra sonic cleaner for the basic cleaning (plus a toothbrush) The bleach was used after the cleaning session as a disinfectant and yes, I completely agree- no more bleach!

Except for worn plating, virtually all the grungy looking stuff on old DE razors is soap scum. Remember, these things often served for decades , usually with no more care than a rinse & shake. My procedure became: get "new" razor; soak in hot tap water; foam it up with Scrubbing Bubbles, wait till foam melts away: scrub with old toothbrush; rinse; repeat until clean.

For that black-handled Gillette Slim Adjustable, for your first shave probably best to set it at 3. If you use Feather blades, maybe even set it on 2.
FWIW, the adjustables are *Much* more likely to be damaged when you find them, I have 2 or 3 that need straightening or repair. Pay special attention to the blade gap between the guard bars & the "silo doors". If those gaps are uniform & perpindicular to the handle, & no problems arise with opening or closing, it's probably a good razor. Some say to adjust them only when the razor is standing open, others say adjusting when closed is fine. Probably easier on the razor to do it when open, but you pay your money & take your choice.

I believe anodizing is for aluminum only, & your old Tech is plated brass.(so far as I know, the abominable aluminum Techs didn't come along until much later.) If you really want to get it looking nice, the $olution i$ nickel-plating. Maybe your friend in the anodizing business knows someone who does nickel plating, & could process it along with something else for a reduced price. The original Gillettes were either nickel or gold plated.

Well....the razors don't take as much room as 400 quarts of oil.....And you will never have to sell them off because you sold a car!

Last edited:
I dip the head of my razor in baby oil and lay it in a bamboo box, soap scum doesn't harden on the de razor and the blade doesn't stain.

When I get an SS DE razor I'm stopping this practice though... Maybe.

Originally Posted By: CKN
Well....the razors don't take as much room as 400 quarts of oil.....And you will never have to sell them off because you sold a car!

That's true! It's a lot cheaper too.

Even still, between the various shaving soaps, creams, razors and holder, it's starting to take over the bathroom counter.

It's so awesome to see a DE Safety Razor conversation come up... it's a big time love affair of mine as well. I love restoring them. I buy 'em cheap from local sales and on eBay... restore them (clean, polish, adjust, lubricate, occasionally re-plate, etc)... then put them on eBay for others to purchase and enjoy for another lifetime.

They provide the best shaves in my opinion. That's not to say the newer 5-blade monstrosities can't give you a good shave, but paying $15 for 4 cartridge refills is highway robbery. A 100pk of Astra Superior Platinum blades (excellent overall blade) will run you $9.88 on Amazon as of today. Now pair a nice DE razor with a nice cream (nice does not always mean expensive) and a nice brush (same rule applies) and you're all set.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back