I'll be using more Hastings filters

Status
Not open for further replies.
I discovered a local independent oil distributor while researching HDEO's for my rebuilt Dodge Cummins. They seemed like a cool place, friendly staff who wheeled everything out to your vehicle for you, ~ 35 ft ceilings stacked full of interesting items.

I needed various filters for my two tractors and two of our family automotive fleet. The dealer advertises Hastings filters which I haven't seen since I was a kid. I looked up the equivalent Hastings part numbers to the John Deere and MOPAR filters I need and gave them a try.

Love their prices!! LF410 and LF107 are $4.32 including our 50 cent enviro fee, and LF613 is $6.36. I'm impressed! The quality of the filters looks good upon external inspection, and at least they're made in the US. I checked out as many Hastings filter threads on BITOG as I could find and they seem like a good filter overall. I haven't bought any filters at parts stores for many years. I get a few from time to time at dealerships, but mostly just order EAO and Wix filters from Amsoil. The prices are acceptable and they get delivered to my door. Convenience is worth something!

For curiosity I checked out Canadian Tire prices today for oil filters: yikes! Amsoil EAO filters are comparable or cheaper than the top Mobil 1 or FRAM filters.

If I need one filter for something I won't make the trek to the distributor as it's a bit of a drive, but I usually like to have 1-2 years of oil and filters at home so I can do maintenance on my own schedule, not when parts stores are open, therefore I tend to buy in bulk anyway. I'm looking forward to using these Hastings filters and seeing how they perform.

But I do wish they'd still use the Hastings filter man in their advertisements.
smile.gif

Sounds like the Hastings are a great deal for the guys up there in Canada.

Which is very nice for a change!

The distributor I purchased from is focused on commercial sales, mostly lubricants, filters and coolants, but also vehicle batteries, DEF and other sundry items. They seem to be primarily focused on the trucking industry, second would be construction/off road equipment. The gent I dealt with said they were focusing Hastings filters on the automotive side and Baldwin filters on the commercial side, but were in the process of expanding their automotive products.

Curious that they are differentiating Baldwin from Hastings. I thought they were identical filters just made at two different factories.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Sounds like the Hastings are a great deal for the guys up there in Canada.

They are a pretty good deal up here. I get some for around $3.60 each.

Check out Rockauto. They do have some Hastings or equivalent on clearout from time to time.

It is worth it to buy from them providing you buy in larger quantities due to the shipping charges.

sir1900 said:
Check out Rockauto. They do have some Hastings or equivalent on clearout from time to time.

It is worth it to buy from them providing you buy in larger quantities due to the shipping charges.
[/quote

This is true, but you have to be careful. RA lists the Casite lower-line ones and the Federated OE ones as "Hastings." You have to examine the pics and the part numbers to differentiate. Those are both reasonably well built but not to the same standards as the regular Hastings. They usually have the regular Hastings line.

Originally Posted By: Oro_O
Originally Posted By: sir1900

This is true, but you have to be careful. RA lists the Casite lower-line ones and the Federated OE ones as "Hastings." You have to examine the pics and the part numbers to differentiate. Those are both reasonably well built but not to the same standards as the regular Hastings. They usually have the regular Hastings line.

Yes I placed an order over the weekend and I do expect I will receive the Casite or Federated OE (even though the photo showed a Hastings), but for the price and the short 5k OCI Nissan wants on our vehicles (2015 Q50 & 2015 Murano), it seemed like a no-brainer.

Yes I placed an order over the weekend and I do expect I will receive the Casite or Federated OE (even though the photo showed a Hastings), but for the price and the short 5k OCI Nissan wants on our vehicles (2015 Q50 & 2015 Murano), it seemed like a no-brainer.

If it doesn't say "private label package" you will receive the real Hastings
smile.gif

If it says private label package, then you might get a Casite/Federated--or even a Chinese filter

Real Hastings part numbers will be of the format LFxxx

Casite is CFxxx
Federated is LFxxxF

They will work just fine I've used many casite in diesel applications and have used a few federated in gas vehicles never had a bad experience so far

Originally Posted By: slacktide_bitog

If it doesn't say "private label package" you will receive the real Hastings
smile.gif

If it says private label package, then you might get a Casite/Federated--or even a Chinese filter

Real Hastings part numbers will be of the format LFxxx

Casite is CFxxx
Federated is LFxxxF

Thanks s_b. Looks like I'll be receiving Federated, which is perfectly fine with me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back