IIHS Pushing for Better Headlights

This technology is already included in USA 2021+ F150s with projector headlights. People were able to activate it through the software.
The 2021 F-150 has curve adaptive projector LED headlights, and not ADB headlights (Adaptive Driving Beam). They get a rating of "good" from IIHS. The LED reflector headlights get a rating of "acceptable" and the halogen reflectors get a rating of "poor".

I read last year that they are finally allowing matrix LED headlights on US vehicles. It’s about time.
Still a few years away.

Hold your horses, don't pop any champagne corks yet.

First of all, "adaptive headlights" have been legal here for years. What's under discussion right now (legal in Europe/rest of world for ten years, legal in Canada since 2019, still not legal in the USA) is adaptive driving beam headlamps, which aren't the same as "adaptive headlights".

Second, no, ADB has not been "approved for the US". That's not an accurate headline or accurate understanding of what has happened. The infrastructure bill (now law) requires NHTSA to amend FMVSS 108 within two years to allow ADB as per SAE J3069. That's nice if it ever actually happens (let alone within the two years), but if you'll look at this and this and this, you'll see the odds and track-record are against it.

This thread discusses enabling glare-free lighting on U.S Market 2021+ F150 LED Projector (not reflector) lamps:
I understand this to be the same technology that was previously only allowed elsewhere.

This thread discusses enabling glare-free lighting on U.S Market 2021+ F150 LED Projector (not reflector) lamps:
I understand this to be the same technology that was previously only allowed elsewhere.
There is a ton of confusion in that thread about what "adaptive" headlights are. In the USA, adaptive means "curve adaptive". Not the same as the much more advanced Adaptive Driving Beam (aka ADB, aka full time high beam, aka glare free high beam). ADB is currently legal in Canada, but not in the USA. In that thread there is discussion from both Canadian and US owners of F-150 trucks, and that creates even more confusion as to what "adaptive" means.

It seems highly unlikely that Ford would install very expensive ADB headlights on a USA market F-150, knowing full well they are not currently allowed by NHTSA.

Last edited:
The 2021 F-150 has curve adaptive projector LED headlights, and not ADB headlights (Adaptive Driving Beam). They get a rating of "good" from IIHS.
Absolutely. I own an XLT 302A with the mid-level "acceptable" reflector lamps (for which, IIHS says, "The low beams never exceeded glare limits").
I was definitely confused about the adaptive lamps on higher trim levels and the adaptive matrix LED's that are supposed to be allowed by 2024.

According to the above thread, the 402A F-150 Tremor is sold in the USA with software-disabled ADB headlights. The information looks credible to me. FORScan software can enable the ADB feature. I am surprised Ford did this, as they usually go to great lengths to save money on manufacturing costs, and yet they include expensive ADB headlights that are factory programmed to function as conventional low beam/high beam headlights in the US market.

Quoted from one of the forum members:

For a US delivered 402A you get adaptive driving beams (lights move with the steering wheel) and Auto High beams (high beams turn completely off when another vehicle is detected).

The [software] changes I mentioned earlier in this thread activate the glare free high beam feature that comes standard on Canadian delivered trucks. Take a drive at night with the default setup, then make the changes and go for a drive. The difference is significant. You will know it is working.

The high beams will now dim, dip, or divert to avoid other cars dynamically, while still providing light in areas where it doesn't effect other drivers.

I can 100% confirm it works on my truck (402A) and I do not get "flashed" by other drivers.

Back