If You Want it Done Right Pt. 2...

On the ocean boat; Grady 325. Starts with us getting a bill from the marina for the Spring commissioning, includes a small charge for a replacement windscreen washer solenoid valve. Let's see, 2 year old boat.....guessing marina forgot to winterize the windscreen washer system.

First trip out that needed washers and they work for a few seconds and quit. Tell marina and they fix. OK for a trip or two then quits....irritated, but they 'fix' again. Next trip I test as soon as we are dropped in the water and another failure, but this time, as we are not underway, I hear water splashing behind the instrument panel and then the forward bilge pump activates?!? I open the panel and find that the feed hose to the washer solenoid valve has blown off and was hosing down the backsides of all the electronics and controls until the system depressurized or ran out of water:mad: I look closely and the replacement valve must have had a slightly smaller fitting than OE and the shop made up the difference with wraps of electrical tape and a typical serrated hose clamp with the expected results..... Really?? 'Professionals'?? I'm a glorified accountant and I'm better than this. My solution, after talking to some folks in the know, is a film of marine sealant after roughening up the surface of the valve nipple and two marine/aviation SS proper (solid, rounded edges, etc.) hose clamps. Problem solved.

Maybe I should call myself a boat mechanic:) Maybe I should just take up golf.

Not a great area to hose down....
IMG_6678.jpg

the fix (before cleanup)...
IMG_6680.jpg

Last edited:
I can almost guarantee the marina has a brand new guy doing the "simple" repairs. He may have never worked on boats before. The lack of good labor is really evident in almost all repair/mechanic businesses right now.

Almost need an interview process to select someone to work on your stuff nowadays.

I'm teaching myself how to make battery cables and I've found the best online resources and references are for marine applications.

I get the impression that working on boats is like working under a floating dashboard.

I had a VW Passat several years ago that when a pollution control valve finally needed to be replaced they found silicone window caulk used to glue on one of the hoses. The car was pretty new and had only been serviced at a VW dealer mainly for things to be fixed under warranty. The thinking was the dealer while working on one thing damaged the valve/hose but instead of replacing it they caulked it.

On the ocean boat; Grady 325. Starts with us getting a bill from the marina for the Spring commissioning, includes a small charge for a replacement windscreen washer solenoid valve. Let's see, 2 year old boat.....guessing marina forgot to winterize the windscreen washer system.

First trip out that needed washers and they work for a few seconds and quit. Tell marina and they fix. OK for a trip or two then quits....irritated, but they 'fix' again. Next trip I test as soon as we are dropped in the water and another failure, but this time, as we are not underway, I hear water splashing behind the instrument panel and then the forward bilge pump activates?!? I open the panel and find that the feed hose to the washer solenoid valve has blown off and was hosing down the backsides of all the electronics and controls until the system depressurized or ran out of water:mad: I look closely and the replacement valve must have had a slightly smaller fitting than OE and the shop made up the difference with wraps of electrical tape and a typical serrated hose clamp with the expected results..... Really?? 'Professionals'?? I'm a glorified accountant and I'm better than this. My solution, after talking to some folks in the know, is a film of marine sealant after roughening up the surface of the valve nipple and two marine/aviation SS proper (solid, rounded edges, etc.) hose clamps. Problem solved.

Maybe I should call myself a boat mechanic:) Maybe I should just take up golf.

Not a great area to hose down....
View attachment 109918

the fix (before cleanup)...
View attachment 109919
FWIW I’d put a small gear clamp or zip tie on that hose to hold it on to be sure. It probably won’t pop off but better safe than sorry IMO.

Just my $0.02

FWIW I’d put a small gear clamp or zip tie on that hose to hold it on to be sure. It probably won’t pop off but better safe than sorry IMO.

Just my $0.02
Hi, are you referring to the 1/4" hose to the windscreen? I agree...I'll probably stop by my aircraft mechanic's shop and grab a few of his good ones and just snug it between the barbs.

Hi, are you referring to the 1/4" hose to the windscreen? I agree...I'll probably stop by my aircraft mechanic's shop and grab a few of his good ones and just snug it between the barbs.
Yes I believe so if that’s on the hose that was coming off.

Just my $0.02

Back