If this ad is legit, How much would this 1986 Cutlass really be worth?

kind of off topic but makes me wonder who back in '86 would have preferred this rear drive Cutlas to the front drive Cutlas Ciera A- body platform. The front driver with a 6cyl would have been a much better handling car.
Probably someone who didn't want anything to do with those new-fangled FWD cars. I remember knowing some folks who were downright fearful of them! "Those things will snap and leave you stranded if you just look at 'em wrong!" 💀

What engine and trans would it have?

If the vehicle was run at evenly distributed intervals throughout its life, it could be 'turnkey'.
Or this car could leak like a sieve if driven daily.
307 Oldsmobile with roller cam and 7A heads and a 2004R overdrive trans. I have 270k miles on that transmission in my 84. The 307 is gutless but can get 25mpg and lasts forever.

It was built during the malaise era. And wasn't that good of a car even when new. And it's not even a desirable configuration.
Sure, it is a survivor, if not rusted out underneath but I wouldn't touch it at any price. it's 38 years old and likely to be a money pit even though it has relatively low miles.
Mine has 240k miles on it. Yes it needs repairs from time to time, it's 40 years old! We drive it on long trips as far as 6 hours on the highway. It was one of the better cars built during that time, parts are still readily available and extremely cheap compared to something modern. Air conditioning works on mine. It was easy to swap in a larger engine (350 Oldsmobile even older and higher miles than the car). Interior has held up amazing.
Yes it's a 4 door and therefrom not extremely desirable and lacks a lot of safety and convenience features of modern cars. The windshield washer system sucks (not a big deal because I don't drive mine in the winter). I drive it lots in the summer and I've put 130k miles on it since 2007.

If you want to feel old, I'll point out this car is over 40 years old. It's in great condition, most of these were just used up as family cars. I'd say it's worth 5 figures. This car deserves to be a garage queen, not a daily.

I’d be scared to own it. Break an odd body or interior part and good luck finding a replacement anywhere
They're a dime a dozen still. Pretty easy to find parts. Not like a 60s car.

Attachments

• 20240116_114814.jpg
    20240116_114814.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20210717_093106.jpg
    IMG_20210717_093106.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210512_080129.jpg
    IMG_20210512_080129.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 10
I’d be scared to own it. Break an odd body or interior part and good luck finding a replacement anywhere
Like those aforementioned bumper-gap fillers. After 40 years they're probably pretty brittle.

Hopefully the aftermarket has those covered..... I can't imagine they differed much among GM brands.

1 - 2 K

Years ago, I used to work with a fellow who would buy one car and restore it to pristine condition and then hang on to it for a while. One day he told me that one of the first rolls in buying an old car like that it's the first be sure that it is something that is going to be worth something when you finally get done working on it. Those old cutlasses were decent reliable transportation in their day. But their day is over. Nowadays, it is an uneconomical gas hog compared to anything else, it's not designed to cruise at 75 mph for an hour and a half like today's modern cars are. It would be a money pit that would not be worth it.

I really liked my1985 Olds Delta 88 Coupe Royale that I owned from 92 to 2001 and that vehicle was garage kept but it turned into a giant Money Pit towards the end. I still hate it to Let It Go, and if the vehicle in question was an 88 Coupe I would have liked to own it but would have passed on it even if financially it wouldn't have done anything for me to spend the money because just having to drive it often enough to keep it alive would be an inconvenience.

In the end it's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, maybe a nice present to somebody's parents who used to have one years ago, but in reality, it wouldn't be good for much more than getting around town on roads that don't have high speed limits. And again, it would be a money pit.

I have a friend ( husband and one of my cousins) who buys and sells cars. At any given time he owns around 50 cars. He has a friend who works at a scrap yard where they crush old cars. Whenever an old car comes in that is in really good shape this person gives him a call and he can pick it up for scrap value. My friend's problem is that he has too many cars and he doesn't have enough places to keep them. He sometimes calls up relatives when the fellow at the scrap yard has given him a call and it's a nice vehicle but he doesn't want to buy it because he doesn't have a place to put it. It's surprising when I really clean old car goes for a few hundred dollars because that's all it would bring at the scrap yard.

Last edited:
This one is local to me. Not sure how bad it is....floor pans sometimes can be rusty while the rest is still good.

Is that yours? We'll need to see some more pics!
Gladly! This is my baby. Just under 400,000kms on it. Unfortunately not original. It was built out of 4 different cars. Used to be able to buy parts cars $200-300 each. The interior is out of my previous one and has over 500,000kms on it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200806_212212.jpg
    IMG_20200806_212212.jpg
    66.9 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200615_194723.jpg
    IMG_20200615_194723.jpg
    239.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20200809_202028.jpg
    IMG_20200809_202028.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200927_164751.jpg
    IMG_20200927_164751.jpg
    314.3 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
1 - 2 K

Years ago, I used to work with a fellow who would buy one car and restore it to pristine condition and then hang on to it for a while. One day he told me that one of the first rolls in buying an old car like that it's the first be sure that it is something that is going to be worth something when you finally get done working on it. Those old cutlasses were decent reliable transportation in their day. But their day is over. Nowadays, it is an uneconomical gas hog compared to anything else, it's not designed to cruise at 75 mph for an hour and a half like today's modern cars are. It would be a money pit that would not be worth it.

I really liked my1985 Olds Delta 88 Coupe Royale that I owned from 92 to 2001 and that vehicle was garage kept but it turned into a giant Money Pit towards the end. I still hate it to Let It Go, and if the vehicle in question was an 88 Coupe I would have liked to own it but would have passed on it even if financially it wouldn't have done anything for me to spend the money because just having to drive it often enough to keep it alive would be an inconvenience.

In the end it's worth what somebody is willing to pay for it, maybe a nice present to somebody's parents who used to have one years ago, but in reality, it wouldn't be good for much more than getting around town on roads that don't have high speed limits. And again, it would be a money pit.

I have a friend ( husband and one of my cousins) who buys and sells cars. At any given time he owns around 50 cars. He has a friend who works at a scrap yard where they crush old cars. Whenever an old car comes in that is in really good shape this person gives him a call and he can pick it up for scrap value. My friend's problem is that he has too many cars and he doesn't have enough places to keep them. He sometimes calls up relatives when the fellow at the scrap yard has given him a call and it's a nice vehicle but he doesn't want to buy it because he doesn't have a place to put it. It's surprising when I really clean old car goes for a few hundred dollars because that's all it would bring at the scrap yard.
"Nowadays, it is an uneconomical gas hog compared to anything else, it's not designed to cruise at 75 mph for an hour and a half like today's modern cars are"
I don't agree with this part at all....I have driven 307 and 305 powered cars at that speed with zero issues....they have 2.56 to 3.08 gears and with overdrive they're turning around 2000 rpm at that speed. They can get 25mpg if driven easy on the highway, so I'm not sure where this is coming from?

At one time, those 5th Gen Cutlass' were one of the most stolen vehicles.

My brother owned an '84. The rear windows don't roll down; just the vent window would open. My '82 Bonneville was the same way.

This vintage GM car always smelled of feet or BO.

My brother owned an '84. The rear windows don't roll down; just the vent window would open. My '82 Bonneville was the same way.

Mine does not smell like Bo and my wife would not be okay with that, especially on a long trip. I've never smelled one of these that smelled like that. Is this a make stuff up thread?

Most stolen because for a few years they were very popular. Like Accords or F150, etc. popular needs parts for hack shops.

This one is local to me. Not sure how bad it is....floor pans sometimes can be rusty while the rest is still good.
Well, so far the guy hasn't responded back with undercarriage pics. I just thought it was a neat car. I had an '81 GP that I drove for many years before it got totalled. Loved that car. Something about those G-bodies!

Well, so far the guy hasn't responded back with undercarriage pics. I just thought it was a neat car. I had an '81 GP that I drove for many years before it got totalled. Loved that car. Something about those G-bodies!
My first car was an 83 GP with almost nothing left of the seats. Unknown mileage. My dad handed it down to me in highschool (around 2000-2001)Rear bumper was falling off, big hole in the trunk and a rotten frame. My parents made me replace it before going to college because it wasn't safe. That's when I got the Cutlass. It was a reliable car at the time though, more reliable than my 86 Honda XL 250R I was riding to school before I got the car.

[QUOTE="I $3-5k?
[/QUOTE]
It's like anything else, it is worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Could be $10k if someone is willing.

Back