Idling A Turbo Engine Before Shutdown

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted by Donald
I think it pertains to a rest stop on a highway. Drive at 70 MPH for hours then a few hundred feet into rest stop then turn engine off. It will get hotter after shutoff then begin to cool down.

I idle my pickup for 2-3 minutes at rest stop.

Or pulling off the highway at a truck stop for fuel , snack or bathroom break ?

I can not see any significant down side to letting an engine cool down , after a highway run . Turbo or no turbo .

But I am no expert . But I had a car when I was young , that had a less than 100% radiator . I needed to let it cool down , in the summer , before I killed the engine .

Originally Posted by demarpaint
They claim you no longer have to idle a diesel after the driving conditions described. I disagree, I would do what Donald suggests.
Who is they?

Originally Posted by CT8
Originally Posted by demarpaint
They claim you no longer have to idle a diesel after the driving conditions described. I disagree, I would do what Donald suggests.
Who is they?

The huge majority of people driving turbo's vehicles today who do not experience the specific conditions applying to a very small subset of drivers who suffered it before synthetic lubes solved the problem for all but the worst abusers.

There's a huge difference between cruising at 80 in an aerodynamic sedan, and even CUV or pickup, and towing a box-shaped trailer or any trailer up a grade. Guys who have measured the F150 ecoboost intake manifold pressures report that at interstate speed cruising (steady-state), empty, the truck runs around 0 psi - in other words, no vacuum, no boost. It's as if an NA engine was completely wide open, but as there's no boost, the turbos aren't being worked. I hear mine spin up if accelerating on the interstate, but not under cruise, unless I'm towing, or climbing a hill.

When towing, it's a different story. It's on boost all day long. It sounds like the throttle is direct-driving turbo rpm. I get sick of hearing the dental drill in my head, even if it's soft, for hours.

So for an interstate rest stop empty, no big deal to shut it down immediately. For interstate towing, I learned a long time ago, the truck gets a lot hotter, everywhere. I've had pneumatic tubing melt underhood while at rest stops during heat soak.

Here's the fallacy - heat soak isn't done in 30 seconds. Heat soak goes on for 10-15 minutes. So the 30 second idle might take the edge off, but I really think 2-5 minutes would be more appropriate if you've worked the vehicle hard (again, even cruise at 80 isn't working it hard in this context). With a non-buffered heat gauge, you can watch heat soak after shutting down, and see the coolant temps go up 15-20 degrees after shutting it down, as the heat comes off the pistons, rods, crank, cylinder walls, etc, into the surrounding metal and into the coolant. IIRC, typical gasser piston/pin temps operate around 650F. Crank and Rods 300F.

It should also be noted that today's turbo engines use different turbo strategies than older. I'm not an expert here and only have article-reading to back this up, but older "blow-off" designs had the turbo spinning based on exhaust output. If you were operating at 1/3 throttle, turbo was engaged to the extent of 1/3 throttle. Newer designs use a TCV to bypass the turbo until the ECU deems that it's time, as to reduce pumping losses associated with adding extra hardware into the loop. So 1/3 throttle might bias the throttle to 60% open, but with no boost yet. This further reduces the time spent building boost, instead working as an NA engine for as long as the engine can meet demand, then adding boost in. Thus, the ECU intentionally reduces time on boost.

As I'm still learning this, it does make sense - there's no sense in having the turbo build boost at 1/3 throttle, only to have that pressure restricted by the throttle plate which would still be 2/3 closed. Pumping losses rise, would impact mpg, and there's unneccssary wear on the turbo. Using ecu-controlled TCV removes that conflict by biasing the turbo to work more only after the throttle is largely open. going back to the scenario above, suppose I'm highway cruising at 70 mph - that would mean the pedal is at 15%, the ecu is commanding 100% throttle opening, and 0% turbo involvement. At 40% pedal for a hill climb, the turbo may ratchet up to 20% boost, with the throttle plate at an unchanged 100%.

As I said, this last 2 paragraphs is still new info to me - if someone knows more I'd enjoy knowing - correct away!

It pretty rare you drive from boost to shut off without near idle down non boost RPMs for a few moments into your parking spot.

Yes if you are maniac or rare pull off highway after long hill into rest stop then maybe follow the idle down.

Good information here gentlemen, thank you. I have no plans for using it for towing. I had not considered the scenario of pulling into a freeway rest stop and shutting down the engine right away. I suppose if the situation comes up I will let it idle for a minute. And I'll probably give it 30 seconds after pulling into my garage just to be on the safe side.

Mazda recommends a 5W-30 oil. I had good luck with Blackstone reports with Redline for my Nissan 370Z which is hard on oil and runs hot so may continue using it with the CX 5.
I understand that the Castrol Edge Full Synthetic is a good match for the turbo Skyactiv engines too and it can be had for around $26/5 quart jug which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Redline oil.
Any oil recommendations are appreciated.

I always think about that.

When i drive the car on the highway, doing some WOT, i use the last 5-10 miles to let the car cool down, cruising around 2000 RPM at 50 mph.

Two min off the highway and i am already home. So i don't let the car idle, because if i do, the coolant temp. start getting higher than it was after i stop.

Does that makes sense, or is it better to let it iddle for a couple of minutes anyway?

No. by the time you've taken local roads to your home, it's normalized. shut 'er down and grab a beer.

Originally Posted by meep
No. by the time you've taken local roads to your home, it's normalized. shut 'er down and grab a beer.

beer3.gif

Originally Posted by Dwight_Frye
I just purchased a new Mazda CX 5 with the 2.5L turbocharged engine. The manual says that after sustained high speeds, as in just getting off the freeway that you should idle the engine for about 30 seconds before shutting it down or it may damage the turbocharger. Is this to prevent coking ?
If I drive a mile or two through residential areas at speeds of 35-40 MPH after a freeway run and then stop and shut down the engine, is that sufficient to cool down the turbo ? I can't imagine too many scenarios where I would get off the freeway after doing 75 MPH for several miles and then pull over and park and shut off the engine. My commute to and from work involves a couple of miles of surface streets with some stop & go for stop signs or traffic lights before parking.

No freeway in the US is going to allow you legally to have sustain high speeds. 75-90mph is NOT high speed!
Driving 75mph on HWY is least of a problem for turbo engines.

Good information here gentlemen, thank you. I have no plans for using it for towing. I had not considered the scenario of pulling into a freeway rest stop and shutting down the engine right away. I suppose if the situation comes up I will let it idle for a minute. And I'll probably give it 30 seconds after pulling into my garage just to be on the safe side.

Mazda recommends a 5W-30 oil. I had good luck with Blackstone reports with Redline for my Nissan 370Z which is hard on oil and runs hot so may continue using it with the CX 5.
I understand that the Castrol Edge Full Synthetic is a good match for the turbo Skyactiv engines too and it can be had for around $26/5 quart jug which is a heck of a lot cheaper than the Redline oil.
Any oil recommendations are appreciated.

Castrol Edge 0W40
Mobil1 0W40 FS.
If Mazda wants strictly 5W30 oil, use this:

Castrol Edge 5W30 ACEA A3/B3

I have the same vehicle. I do some things...

-Ethanol-free fuel 91 octane or higher from a TT station.
-I don't race it about just before shutting it off. At least 30 seconds of -I use Mobil 1 EP oil and keep my oil change interval to 5K miles.

Ironically, I also had a 370Z, rofl!

Last edited:
I was told it more like pulling off the track and pulling in the pits and shutting off. Real world that never happens and don't worry about it. I have a 1.6l Nismo Nissan turbo 220hp not a race motor but not bad for a small motor. Almost 100k miles, never cooled it down. Never a problem with it. Just did first spark plug change and they were .004 worn. Almost nothing. Use synthetic and change at 5k miles max.

Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl
Many manufactures have engineered this requirement to the dust bin. Apparently Mazda has not.

The focus here is on the situation of driving on the freeway and pulling off and shutting down like you would do in a rest area. Even though I don't have a turbo I actually let the engine idle for 30-60 seconds in those situations. A lot depends on the climate too.

Is the engine really a boiling cauldron from low-power cruising on the highway with multitudes more air going through the radiator than it even needs on it's worst day? Hasn't been my experience.

Turbos do most of their work under higher load. Oil sees highest temps under sustained high rpms. Highway cruising is neither.

If I were towing on the highway, yeah, but just unloaded cruising? I'm not seeing it.

Almost half a million miles of not "cooling down" my turbos and I haven't had to replace any of them.

I just purchased a new Mazda CX 5 with the 2.5L turbocharged engine. The manual says that after sustained high speeds, as in just getting off the freeway that you should idle the engine for about 30 seconds before shutting it down or it may damage the turbocharger. Is this to prevent coking ?
If I drive a mile or two through residential areas at speeds of 35-40 MPH after a freeway run and then stop and shut down the engine, is that sufficient to cool down the turbo ? I can't imagine too many scenarios where I would get off the freeway after doing 75 MPH for several miles and then pull over and park and shut off the engine. My commute to and from work involves a couple of miles of surface streets with some stop & go for stop signs or traffic lights before parking.

With everything being turbo now (or so it seems) I had wondered about this but never Googled. Interesting newer ones don't require it unless under certain circumstances. I probably would still idle for 30-60 because it's a turbo.

When the Mazda owner manual refers to "sustained high speeds", it's referring to track conditions not normal highway driving. A fair number of people are out tracking Mazdas and there are more Mazda track and autocross clubs than you can shake a stick at. The last track day I went to at Virginia International Raceway, there were quite a few people having fun with stock Mazda 3's, 6's and of course MX5's. The CX5 with the 2.5L-T engine is the same used in the Mazda6 which could handle the rigors of some time on a real track. You wouldn't want to make a habit of running a stock CX5 under those conditions but, given their constraints, they would probably do surprisingly well.

Anyhow... For normal highway driving, you're fine. If you have a mile of local driving before pulling into your parking spot, that's frosting on the cake. On a track, you will need cool down -and don't even think of setting your parking brake
33.gif

Ray

When I was doing weekly 800-mile runs to Chicago and back, I'd hear my electric waterpump running for 7-10 minutes after I shut the car off - that's after I got off the freeway, a mile of side streets, and down two levels into the parking garage. When I'd stop at rest stops, I'd just leave the engine running and lock the doors if it was either very hot or very cold. I do think heat soak is a real thing; I'd let an engine run for at least a couple minutes if it's been working very hard. (206,000 miles on my original turbos)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back