Idle stop and go systems. Do you like it?

My new Sonata and wife's Palisade have this. I've read on here how so many dislike this tech. Does anyone actually find it useful? I rather like it, to be honest. It happens very quickly and doesn't alter my driving style.
God no.

I've lived with it for a week so far with the Ram I just bought. I wouldn't say I love it, but it doesn't seem too obtrusive. I like that it seems to have enough smarts so if the turn signal is on and you creep forward, it seems to know you're about to take off so it doesn't stop again. It doesn't sound like it's using the regular starter for start/stop, I suspect it's using the motor/generator from the hybrid drive. I have noticed the ventilation fan seems to turn off when the engine stops, I wonder if that's to keep the evaporator cool in summer since the A/C compressor stops with the engine.

I've lived with it for a week so far with the Ram I just bought. I wouldn't say I love it, but it doesn't seem too obtrusive. I like that it seems to have enough smarts so if the turn signal is on and you creep forward, it seems to know you're about to take off so it doesn't stop again. It doesn't sound like it's using the regular starter for start/stop, I suspect it's using the motor/generator from the hybrid drive. I have noticed the ventilation fan seems to turn off when the engine stops, I wonder if that's to keep the evaporator cool in summer since the A/C compressor stops with the engine.

Typically, after stopping and starting the engine won't be stopped again until you've hit a certain speed. This to avoid stopping in creeping traffic but obviously also works when you are waiting to turn.

The fan stops to keep the cabin cool or warm, if the fan keeps going the air coming out of the vents will get close to ambient in seconds.

Thanks. That is what I thought, here's the rub. IIRC when you come to a light you're supposed to stop and wait with the clutch depressed and in first gear, which would keep the engine running wasting gas with SS enabled. People looking to save a TOB sit at lights in neutral with their foot off the clutch, which would shut the engine off, making SS do what it is supposed to. Back in the day when I took drivers Ed that was wrong and illegal, according to what I was taught. No comment on what I do I might end up in jail. LOL

Thanks. That is what I thought, here's the rub. IIRC when you come to a light you're supposed to stop and wait with the clutch depressed and in first gear, which would keep the engine running wasting gas with SS enabled. People looking to save a TOB sit at lights in neutral with their foot off the clutch, which would shut the engine off, making SS do what it is supposed to. Back in the day when I took drivers Ed that was wrong and illegal, according to what I was taught. No comment on what I do I might end up in jail. LOL

We're supposed to shut the engine off by law (but nobody does), it was originally intended to cut noise for people living there. specifically there are reminder signs at railroad crossings

We're supposed to shut the engine off by law (but nobody does), it was originally intended to cut noise for people living there. specifically there are reminder signs at railroad crossings
Here at a light they wanted to you to stay in first gear. At a train I'll turn the engine off if the train is long enough. Truth be told I cross a train track once or twice a month so it is a non-event. I might wait for a train twice a year.

I get that the first car or 2 stays ready to go, but the ones after that have plenty of time to select a gear and go between the lights turning green and the car in front to start moving. The idea behind staying in 1st is to be ready to go when the opportunity comes, that's pretty universal I guess.

It sounds like a system that will end up needing either new flex plates and starters on a regular basis, or rings gears if that applies. So what maybe every 4 years or so? A $2000. transmission removal to do the job? Or maybe just another incentive to trade in on another new one with another big monthly payment?
No not really. These starters have beefed up internals.

Pass on this technology and I disable them permanently whenever possible. My only current vehicle with it is the Kia Soul and it has an aftermarket unit that plugs into the switch that turns it off temporarily and makes it permanent.

Back