Idle stop and go systems. Do you like it?

I ave been rolling up to and then through stop lights. This much better for fuel mileage anyhow to not dead stop.
I am mastering the brake to an almost stop - maybe 1mph roll - look both ways and ... on the gas !
That’s what you have to do … It reads zero movement and cuts off …

It sounds like a system that will end up needing either new flex plates and starters on a regular basis, or rings gears if that applies. So what maybe every 4 years or so? A $2000. transmission removal to do the job? Or maybe just another incentive to trade in on another new one with another big monthly payment?

It sounds like a system that will end up needing either new flex plates and starters on a regular basis, or rings gears if that applies. So what maybe every 4 years or so? A $2000. transmission removal to do the job? Or maybe just another incentive to trade in on another new one with another big monthly payment?
The first thing to wear out will be the paint on the S/S disable button - then the button 😷

My new Sonata and wife's Palisade have this. I've read on here how so many dislike this tech. Does anyone actually find it useful? I rather like it, to be honest. It happens very quickly and doesn't alter my driving style.
When the Takata airbag thing was going on in 2016, I had a BMW loaner with it for 4 months.

We don't have the feature on our cars as they are older.

But with the loaner, I liked the feeling I was not using fuel when stopped. It was hot that summer so if the car needed AC, engine would kick on, liked that.

My understanding is these systems are not like manually stopping and starting, they are designed to go through such cycles.

So I like the systems. If I'm not mistaken, back when BMW still sold vehicles with manual transmissions (unreal), the manuals also had the stop start. That I would like totally.

The next vehicle I buy will either not have this feature or it will have an easy way to to disable it .

My fiance's mom has a 2021 Suburu with the start/stop and it has a very rough restart that is pretty annoying. I'm glad it isn't my car because I would hate it.

If its on a perfected setup, really smooth, like say a Toyota hybrid. On other vehicles, its jerky, and idk what the point of it was.

If its on a perfected setup, really smooth, like say a Toyota hybrid. On other vehicles, its jerky, and idk what the point of it was.
The point was to be able to claim slightly higher mpg figures for city driving - a cycle that includes certain amount of stop-and-go driving. And since those higher mpg figures were achieved with AutoSS enabled, manufacturers are not allowing you to permanently disable it. You have to press a button every time you start the engine or look for an aftermarket defeat device if you want it off.

I absolutely hate those stop/start things. I've had a Volvo and a BMW with it. I live in a small city and it's rare for me to stop at a light for more than 30 seconds, so it can't be doing much good. Yes, I know it can be deactivated but I shouldn't have to deactivate it every time I start the engine. I do not intend to ever buy another vehicle with that feature.

That's not true generally. The start/stop in F150s have been around for about a decade. But your not justified point gets brought up in every thread about this subject. Every single one....

It’s fine. The system in our Jetta works well. We turn it off most times though as it does increase wear. Will we see that wear during our ownership? I don’t know. Also of note, Florida summers are brutal and even seconds of no AC at a stoplight is too much on many days.

I like it on my 2019 Honda Pilot.

Honda does have a TSB for the 3rd generation Pilots and other vehicles to update the software regarding the Auto Stop/Start. Some owners were having the system work but then the car wouldn't restart for various reasons. Left a few owners sitting in the middle of the road blocking traffic until it finally did start. One of the updates was to change the specifications and disable the system when the battery was not fully charged.

Honda is also apparently saying the valves may need to be adjusted if the update doesn't work for some 2021-2022 vehicles. They say it can cause excessive cylinder pressure and or low cranking torque!

TSB 23-008 Product Update: PGM-FI Idle Stop Software Update (2016-2022)

BACKGROUND

Under certain circumstances, after coming to a stop and the idle stop feature engages, the vehicle may not automatically restart. Typically, the customer can immediately restart the vehicle by selecting Park and pushing the ENGINE START/STOP button.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this product update. Do an iN VIN status inquiry to verify eligibility. Some vehicles affected by this campaign may be in your new or used vehicle inventory. Repair these vehicles before they are sold.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Update the PGM-FI Software. NOTE: The software update will decrease the Idle Stop operating range. As a result, the customer may notice reduced idle stop engagement when their vehicle’s battery is approaching the end of its useful life.

TSB 23-010 Warranty Extension: Engine Does Not Auto Restart After Entering Auto Idle Stop (2021-2022)

BACKGROUND

Under certain circumstances, after coming to a stop and engaging idle stop, the vehicle may not restart automatically due to excessive cylinder pressure and/or low cranking torque. Typically, the customer can immediately restart the vehicle by selecting Park and pressing the ENGINE START/STOP button. NOTE: If 23-008 Product Update: PGM-FI Idle Stop Software Update is applicable to the VIN, the PGM-FI software must be updated first before the warranty extension applies. Honda is extending the warranty coverage for valve adjustment to 10 years from the original date of purchase with no mileage limitation.

CUSTOMER NOTIFICATION
Owners of affected vehicles will be sent a notification of this campaign. Do an iN VIN status inquiry to verify eligibility.

CORRECTIVE ACTION
Adjust the valves.
Today I had the dealer update the Ridgeline software. This is the first vehicle I have owned that has the idle stop feature and admit it caught me by surprise the first time it activated. Now it isn’t a big deal.
Thankfully there is a disable button if I desire to do so.

Back