IDEMITSU 0w20 - 3,000mi - 2014 Mazda 3 - 2.0L

Status
Not open for further replies.
This oil change cost me $3.75 for 5 quarts of synthetic + $6 oil filter for a total of under $10. Decided to change it early... because, why not?

Gotta LOVE Clearance Oil Sales.

p.s. Thank you Advance Auto Parts and Idemitsu Oil for basically sponsoring this $3.75 Synthetic Oil Change.
lol.gif

Vehicle:
2014 Mazda 3 Hatchback i Sport w/ tech package & 6 speed manual trans.

Engine:
2.0L Skyactiv DI 4 banger.

Engine oil capacity:
4.5qts

Oil type:
Idemitsu 0w20 Synthetic from AAP clearance @ $0.75 a quart.

Oil additives:
None

Gas Additives:
NONE. Only Premium 93 octane fuel from top tier gas stations (mostly Shell, Mobil, BP)

Make up oil added:
None

Oil filter:
Mazda OEM specific for the SkyActiv engine.

Air filter:
Performance Short Ram Intake with cone filter with a good 50k miles on it.

USE: city / highway @ 70/30. Cold start 5 days a week 2x to take the kid to school and pick him up again 4 hours later + regular daily trips to the store, beach, whatever. One long highway trip to Charlotte, NC 800 miles total, cruising @ 75mph on cruise control. LOTS of Full throttle trips to REDLINE.

Oil Life Monitor was showing 70% oil life left. Sounds about right, based on that TBN.

Code:

OIL Idemitsu 0w20 Synthetic

MILES IN USE 3,002 miles

MILES on unit 65,360

SAMPLE TAKEN 03/17/2018

Make up Oil 0

Universal Average based on 6,000 miles

ALUMINUM 3 3

CHROMIUM 0 0

IRON 2 7

COPPER 0 5

LEAD 0 0

TIN 0 0

MOLYBDENUM 78 88

NICKEL 0 0

MANGANESE 0 0

SILVER 0 0

TITANIUM 1 2

POTASSIUM 0 0

BORON 190 135

SILICON 4 8

SODIUM 5 4

CALCIUM 2036 1640

MAGNESIUM 8 352

PHOSPHORUS 770 663

ZINC 761 742

BARIUM 0 1

Values Should Be*

SUS VIS 210ºF 49.1 46-57

cSt @ 212ºF 7.01 6.0-9.7

FLASHPOINT ºF 395 >385

Fuel %
Antifreeze 0.0 0.0

WATER 0.0
INSOLUBLES 0.2
TBN 5.2 >1.0

The oil got recycled, don't worry.

No resources were wasted during this oil change.

This was the first time I was using Idemitsu. Wanted to see how it looked. I've got like 10 gallons of it to use. It's easily a 10k oil, but I see no reason to run it that long. I like doing oil changes.

I've been looking for a VOA/UOA on this oil as I picked up 40qts for the CX-5 from the Advance Auto clearance event. Thanks for this, looks very similar to the oil you ran previously, what was that?

Why the short OCIs?

Looks like good oil. Previous fill was Castrol Edge 5w20.

I dump it early, because why not? I like doing oil changes and $10 per oil change isn't much.

Very nice numbers indeed! It's also nice to see almost no fuel dilution, despite being DI and all of the cold starts.

Originally Posted By: Patman
Very nice numbers indeed! It's also nice to see almost no fuel dilution, despite being DI and all of the cold starts.

Car is tuned, so I'm sure that plays a role. Although the first few UOA were stock but on 93 octane, not 87 like Mazda says this engine can handle.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Nice UOA.

I'm looking to buy that same exact car.
I'm undecided between soul red, mica blue or dark grey.

It looks gorgeous in almost any color. Just be sure to add the factory aero kit. It really adds a nice touch to the body lines.

I disagree with many of the comments here...

Here's a VOA
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/2921163/Idemitsu_0w-20

Lost over 10% of it's KV100, so probably 5% of it's HTHS...finished the run as a 16 grade. No problems

Lost 10% of it's KV100, and 40F off the flashpoint, so the viscosity loss is clearly fuel dilution, regardless of what BStone says...they have an issue with measuring/reporting fuel dilution.

Yea but just look at the wear numbers! Even if it lost some steam during the 3,000 miles, I think it did pretty good overall at keeping things slippin' and slidin'.

It would be interesting to see how it would have looked had I ran it another 3,000 miles or more. I'd pay a dollar to see that.
lol.gif

I picked up 25 qts at AA. Five qt containers and one jug were purchased for a nickel each. The others at .75/qt. Recently filled the Camry with it. Will be in service for a year and about 3-4k miles. Good to see the uoa. Thank you!

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
I picked up 25 qts at AA. Five qt containers and one jug were purchased for a nickel each. The others at .75/qt. Recently filled the Camry with it. Will be in service for a year and about 3-4k miles. Good to see the uoa. Thank you!

It looks like a decent oil, especially for a nickel!
lol.gif

I'm glad my UOA came in handly. I accept tips.
wink.gif

Not many reports on this oil, since it's normally so expensive and looks like nobody bought it.

Originally Posted By: Artem
The oil got recycled, don't worry.

No resources were wasted during this oil change.

This was the first time I was using Idemitsu. Wanted to see how it looked. I've got like 10 gallons of it to use. It's easily a 10k oil, but I see no reason to run it that long. I like doing oil changes.

In that case, nicely done!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back