ID TPMS sensor from outside

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently had one the TPMS sensors on my vehicle replaced at Discount Tire. I had been meaning to buy (4) of them as I can get them from Amazon and installed on my own for substantially less. They charge $65/tire (installed) while I can buy (4) for $104 and installed for $5/tire + $19 'programming' fee. One of them was leaking enough that it would lose enough air to set off the sensor. They have a little display board that gives info on these sensors and what-not and one company logo on there is VDO so I thought that was the ones they used. The receipt says the sensor is

VDO 7001HPA 315 REDI

You'd think it's a VDO sensor, right ? Well, "7001 HPA" is a DILL part number. "REDI" is a term used by both VDO and DILL. A "7001" sensor isn't correct for my vehicle either so I believe it's just a generic listing in their system. I actually called them back and spoke to the tech who installed it and she simply read that part # from the receipt back to me. I was hoping she'd remember it came in a VDO, DILL, etc box but it sounded like they have them in bins and without boxes (they get them in 'bulk' or non-retail packaging).

I know it doesn't matter but I'd like to replace the other (3) with the same. If I can't, I'll just get the VDO units and go on.... Anyone know how to ID them from the outside ? Comparing the actual one installed with the 'picture' shown by either Dill or VDO, they aren't matches. I realize the photos they show may be sample images too.

Why does it matter? It's just a radio transmitter with a pressure sensor in it. All brands have to be within a certain tolerance.

To answer your question, no you won't be able to ID the brand of sensor from outside the tire. TPMS tools can receive the sensor ID, battery status, and learning status. That's it.

IF you have the $$$ for a TPMS tool and if you own a car that can relearn the sensor IDs without the need for another scan tool or dealer-level software, you can get one of these:

https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/products/vt36-tpms-activation-and-programming-tool/
https://www.ateq-tpms.com/en-us/products/vt56-tpms-tool/

They'll be able to program aftermarket sensors and activate any TPMS sensor - but the more expensive of the two can write to the TPMS ECU. I think GM products are capable of TPMS relearns/resets via the instrument panel and it's a matter of getting not just the replacement sensor programmed but to activate the sensors via magnet/RF or a low pressure event.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back