Ice Battery A/C Efficiency

Status
Not open for further replies.
turtlevette,
the new place is a 1940 double brick, with three of the bedrooms essentially clumped with the lounge...it would possible make sense to cool that bit, and not the 1980s extension out the back that added a couple of bedrooms and family areas.

As to the heat, we just make sure that the house is ventilated at night, and sleep with a single cotton sheet...it's all I've ever known except for motel rooms (and my parent's place starting 15 years ago when they installed A/C)

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: sleddriver
I was going to weigh in, then realized more information is needed. You don't have A/C now and the new house won't have it either, correct? Not at all familiar with your climate. Thus anything I add is just shooting in the dark.

The area is around 85 miles inland as the crow flies on the Eastern side...lows in winter range from -8C (18F) to 100-105F in summer.

Electricity is about 30c/KWh, so the concept of cooling a place (when we've never had anything bar a swamp cooler before) is a bit foreign...but it's the last place we are moving to before the kids move out and I retire (15 years lord willing).

Will have a mortgage for the first time in a while, so was looking at what capital I could sink for the long term...e.g. solar is available, but I'm struggling with the working family concept of producing and shipping it out at 8c, then buying it back at 30c when we all get home.

So looking then at storage, or something like the redback system my employer sells that runs stuff for you when the sun is shining (washers, driers and the like)...

The linked product looks to me to make some sense in a market like ours.

Just shooting the breeze...I don't think it's even available in Oz.
If you've used a swamp cooler, it must be quite dry despite being only 85mi inland and cool down quickly after Sunset.

I'm about 225mi inland from the Gulf of Mexico and it's still too humid for a swamp cooler. Elevation is about 800' above MSL. Electric here is about 10c/kWhr, about 1/3 of yours. I'm locked in to my utility though. Just NW of here, about 15mi., they pay 7 or 8 c/kWhr.

To time-shift elec., you may have to invest in panels, batteries and an inverter. Not sure if it's feasible. Just a wild guess. The ice idea is interesting. I've seen it used here, but only for A/C, which you don't need or have a history of.

A popular idea here a few decades back was 'passive solar'. Minimizing heat gain in a structure: Shiny metal roof, thick walls, light colored exterior, no windows facing S or W, no sunlight allowed to fall on windows, old fashioned deep porches, heavy attic insulation, full roof ventilation, strategic planting of trees to provide shade, HVAC equip + ductwork kept out of hot attic, use of radiant barriers, water-cooled condensor, etc. Sprinkling the roof was also popular as a means to absorb heat.

Given your history, if you did opt for A/C, you could set it for 85°F at night and still be comfortable. Or only use it when necessary to sleep. You're already used to no A/C.

There also may be a way for you to chill water and use it for cooling. Given your occupation, you know all about chilled water systems for this.

I wonder how the Aussie's feel about their govn't policies resulting in the price of electricity escalating to such a high amount?

Place is brick with a shiny metal roof and batts...will be a vast improvement over current place.

I'm quietly positive that we won't...we at least owe it to ourselves to see the comfort level of he new new place this summer.

Edit...the populace are furious, and businesse are suffering...so the politicians point at the power companies and blame them. QLD govt owns one large station and has directed them to drop their wholesale prices to below market rates. last 5 years, Natural Gas wholesale has gone from $4.30/GJ to over $10. Electricity has gone from 4c/KWh to 10 Average wholesale, 30 evening peaks, and $14 on the really hot crisis evenings when interconnectors get maxxed.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back