I WILL be making this fluid extractor pump, so awesome!

I don't quite understand why someone would think that the pickle jar would implode. The way he has it rigged up it ain't gonna happen. Trust me your not gonna hurt a canning jar till you drop it. I am a home canner over a hundred half gallons or quarts each year for....,, over 25 years now. I do between 75 and a hundred jars of dill pickles each year and I don't do the hot bath I stick the jars in a 350 oven for 12 minutes after hot pack and seal. All in all it's a pretty slick set up that looks like it works very well.

This is normal canning vacuum
[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by P10crew
I don't quite understand why someone would think that the pickle jar would implode. The way he has it rigged up it ain't gonna happen. Trust me your not gonna hurt a canning jar till you drop it. I am a home canner over a hundred half gallons or quarts each year for....,, over 25 years now. I do between 75 and a hundred jars of dill pickles each year and I don't do the hot bath I stick the jars in a 350 oven for 12 minutes after hot pack and seal. All in all it's a pretty slick set up that looks like it works very well.

they didn't watch the video and see how fast it pulled 1 gallon or 4 qts of trans fluid into the jar. Totally impressive. I just ordered the pump off eBay. I need to grab a jar tomorrow and start on the fittings.

One of these of some sort is probably in my future as well. I've been wanting to do a double drain and fill on my babes Scion xB tranny for a couple years now.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by atikovi
You'll have fun cleaning up the mess when that pickle jar falls to the ground and shatters.

That would be my worry in a garage setting, too...

The jar is plenty strong for vacuum, but one fall on a concrete surface, particularly if filled with fluid, and you have a terrible clean up problem...

Made the jar today with graduations and two barb fittings on the lid. I made washers out of bicycle tube and rtv sealant around the nut.

Originally Posted by Fawteen
No thanks. I'll use pickle jars for pickles, and my Mityvac for fluid extraction.

watch the video. He pulls a gallon of oil in about 30 seconds or less. Way better than a MityVac.

Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I would just put the jar on the floor to minimize the chance of breaking the jar. It would likely increase the flow as well.

I'm gonna build a "holster" for the jar on the pump board like the video

Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by Fawteen
No thanks. I'll use pickle jars for pickles, and my Mityvac for fluid extraction.

watch the video. He pulls a gallon of oil in about 30 seconds or less. Way better than a MityVac.

That is a function of the diameter and length of the tubing the mityvac comes with fairly long ones.
also how hot the oil is.

The video the guy has fairly large tubing and much shorter.. so of course it will be much faster.

I have used my HF extractor on some pretty hot oil and it is the difference between sucking "water" up a straw vs honey(cold oil).
Its air vacuum powered so very handy with my 50ft flexzilla retractable air hose reel in the garage.

Originally Posted by Astro14
Originally Posted by atikovi
You'll have fun cleaning up the mess when that pickle jar falls to the ground and shatters.

That would be my worry in a garage setting, too...

The jar is plenty strong for vacuum, but one fall on a concrete surface, particularly if filled with fluid, and you have a terrible clean up problem...

My feelings exactly. It's a cool idea, but I'd rather spend a few more minutes with the Miti-Vac than risk breaking a pickle jar and having an oil spill to clean up. I'm a DYI'er and don't mind spending a few more minutes. I don't get paid to fix my cars, my payment comes in the form of saved money and knowing the job was done right.

LOL. In a moment of need and innovation, I used a beer growler to get the job done: (one tube missing)
[Linked Image]

My extractor is made from an old propane tank. It can easily withstand the pressure and isn't going to shatter. It holds over 4 gallons. If I am concerned about how much oil has been removed I wegth the tank before and after. Motor oil is about 1.8 pounds per qt.

Well, my pump came via FedEx this AM so I ran off to the hardware store to get the fittings to hook it up to the hoses. It works incredibly well. Absolutely remarkable at how fast it pulls up fluids, cold fluids. It pulled 2-1/2 qts from my Mustang trans pan in under 25 seconds! Here's some pics.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

residual draining the jar into a bucket
[Linked Image]

The pump comes with a 1/4 flare fitting that I think they spot welded to the plate because I couldn't budge it to swap it out so I bought a female flare to flare adapter, flare to NPT female adapter, and a male NPT to 1/4" barb fitting. then a short chunk of tube, and a 1/4" barbed ball valve. The plant holder works great as a "holster" for the glass pickle jar when extracting. Next time I use it, I'll set up the tripod and do a video of it in action. I'll definitely be using it on my zero-turn mower as the stupid thing drains the oil onto the frame and they pressed a hole into the frame for that oil to run down through. It is dumb. And messy. Not anymore with this thing. WOW!

Audios, just take the smaller diameter tubing off when you discard the fluids - it flows much faster. This can be done in more than one way, you'll figure this out once you look at the fittings. And buy the tubing kit in advance to have it on hand, you will need it later.

That's a very cool idea.

I see those vac pumps can be had for about $37+ tax shipped. If you didn't have access to the fittings needed and didn't want to spend the $$ on them, you could use a 5gal bucket with 2 holes in the lid for the hoses. Maybe a 3rd hole to regulate vacuum with your finger.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by dwcopple
Originally Posted by TheLawnRanger
I would just put the jar on the floor to minimize the chance of breaking the jar. It would likely increase the flow as well.

I'm gonna build a "holster" for the jar on the pump board like the video

Wife got me these for my birthday

65583846-1D74-4677-9E8A-D130D53CC843.jpeg

Back