I was accused of theft, how to dispute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mostly agree and I'd leave one way or another. But if these allegations are false or unproveable, the OP might want to confront HR regarding the allegations. "What proof is there? Why weren't police notified? You have thieves but do not fire them immediately? Wow, you really do protect the residents here, don't you?". Just "write up" them?

It seems a bit sketchy if not illegal. You can't just say whatever you want without recourse as there are federal as well as state laws. Also this employer may tell future perspective employers that he's a thief to blackball him.

Consult a lawyer and have a service call the employer after he leaves for "a reference".

IMHO, if I am innocent and didn't do anything, I'm looking to leave with a settlement...
OP is working as “help” in a nursing home. Legal fees will never be recouped.

During my career at various times and with various companies I was in a supervisory position with around 20 people under me or I was at the bottom of the ladder. I found that when I was at the bottom of the ladder none of my supervisors ever treated me in the same manner that I treated those under me when I was a boss. All of them were weasels and snakes who only watched out for themselves and in the cases where I had a valid complaint did nothing for me. Quite the opposite of the way I conducted myself and the way I viewed the responsibility of such positions.

So as the OP has already found out, complaining to one manager has revealed what kind of people he's working with. Weasels and snakes. Not uncommon in today's work environment. I would be finding a new job asap and watch my back in the meantime. Document everything. Be prepared for them to retaliate and get rid of you in a manner that they can try and deny you any unemployment benefits. Like if you are fired for cause. It looks like that is what they are setting up as their plan.

So,

I just started a job two months ago. I was written up for theft of wine and pizza. (I Work in one of my state's largest retirement homes). Here's my problem. The vice director i.e. asked how its going. I made a few comments about how my boss is always negative towards myself, even though i have a ton of positive reviews. She told my boss that I complained. Now its retaliatory. I also, mentioned that the two other assistant general managers have gone behind my back to complain that I'm not " cohesive with my co-workers ". Whats the absolute best way to convey with my HR. Has anyone here had to fight a boss or hr? The gloves are off.
What is the proof that you stole pizza and wine?
Did you steal pizza and wine?

What is protocol for leftover pizza and wine?

My best friend was a waiter in a fine French Restaurant in Andover. They used to swill remnants of a 1968 Domaine de Champ Bourgogne Rouge back in the kitchen.

I had problems with a nutty boss at a small startup, and we had a sit down with HR everyone in the room to air issues. The HR woman - who was from a offsite contracted service - noted that the boss was unreasonable.

I think the OP needs to learn " When to hold 'em and when to fold 'em"
Management almost always talks to one another - even in office rivalries. There is nothing more vulgar than office politics; I hate that stuff.

I resigned my last job - earlier than planned - over such back stabbing and pettiness.

So,

I just started a job two months ago. I was written up for theft of wine and pizza. (I Work in one of my state's largest retirement homes). Here's my problem. The vice director i.e. asked how its going. I made a few comments about how my boss is always negative towards myself, even though i have a ton of positive reviews. She told my boss that I complained. Now its retaliatory. I also, mentioned that the two other assistant general managers have gone behind my back to complain that I'm not " cohesive with my co-workers ". Whats the absolute best way to convey with my HR. Has anyone here had to fight a boss or hr? The gloves are off.
You never did say if you did it?

Quit your job, and celebrate with some wine and pizza! Also, accuse your boss of "relations" with the residents.

During my career at various times and with various companies I was in a supervisory position with around 20 people under me or I was at the bottom of the ladder. I found that when I was at the bottom of the ladder none of my supervisors ever treated me in the same manner that I treated those under me when I was a boss. All of them were weasels and snakes who only watched out for themselves and in the cases where I had a valid complaint did nothing for me. Quite the opposite of the way I conducted myself and the way I viewed the responsibility of such positions.

So as the OP has already found out, complaining to one manager has revealed what kind of people he's working with. Weasels and snakes. Not uncommon in today's work environment. I would be finding a new job asap and watch my back in the meantime. Document everything. Be prepared for them to retaliate and get rid of you in a manner that they can try and deny you any unemployment benefits. Like if you are fired for cause. It looks like that is what they are setting up as their plan.
Thank you. One of the directors askedhow it was going. I told her my issues. I thought that she'd assist. Instead she went to my boss and told her that i complained about her. I'm meeting with HR on Monday. My boss reasoning was that supposedly there were discrepancies in the sales and wine amount. We have two bar tenders another assistant manager and leader in training that have access to the liquor as well. I'm really mad as I've only been there two months. It's more or less a retaliatory thing

Look for another job, if you stay you will probably be unhappy there.

Lots of places are looking for quality employees.

Off Topic: I used to post jobs here on BITOG.

Last edited:
Yep, look for another job ASAP cause it will only get worse.

Theft of pizza ????

I can understand someone stealing fine wine…. but pizza ?
Supposedly

Yep, look for another job ASAP cause it will only get worse.

Theft of pizza ????

I can understand someone stealing fine wine…. but pizza ?
:unsure:
Supposedly i was "giving away " pizzas. I have a student who isn't great at paying attention. On a few occasions we had left over pizzas . One of the students asked if they could take one home. I told them sure otherwise they get tossed out.

Again, @97prizm what do you hope to gain by the meeting?

An apology? Sunshine and roses working conditions in the future? A boss that understands your value?

After you go in “gloves off” - that absolutely will not happen. “Gloves off“ will show how unreasonable you are, that approach ensures that you will lose the argument in the meeting with HR and be summarily fired.

You’ve poisoned the well. You’ve criticized him/her. They won’t forget that, ever.

Even if you go in to the meeting and apologize for what you said, that relationship between you and boss is damaged.

Best case, absolute best case, theft charges are dropped and your boss hates you, looking for every opportunity to find flaws in your performance.

Do you want to work under those conditions?

So,

First, HR is not there for you. HR is there for the company.

I'd start looking for a new job.
Beat me to it.

If this is not resolved just about immediately you won't be at that job for very long.

just read ur opening post & 'page 1"
As a younger employee (I'm retired) U must do as some do - all ways B on the look out fora new job, never stop. Network w/other 'peers' (folks who do what U do & a lill higher on the job ladder). Even after the hire - keep 'external' connections. (as well as internal to scope the co. see if U wanna 'move up' there). Folks ur age are slated to have 3, 4 careers life long (not jobs! careers). My dad had 1 job life long (30, 40 yrs), I had 3 or 4 jobs. The world is changing.

I would have said "Have some 1 accompany U when U think they're inviting U in to accuse U of stealing." They will have a witness attend (min 2 folks). U should have 1. No union (they'd sent an accompnment) so cover urself. Now I don't see that. U will B invited in for a firing. Still, get another to attend if U have no new job, fear a poor reference. HTH, good luck~

In the corporate world when a higher up ask how’s it going, they do not actually want to know.

The proper reply is “everything is great”.
My boss’ boss asked me that Friday. I said I don’t know; I’m on a tour of the corporate location. He looked at me like he was so lost. And he’s 11 years younger than me 🤣🤣

My approach to "work". I show up, clock in, keep to myself, do what I'm paid to do, clock out, and go home. I don't make friends, buddies, talk about the family, the dog, the weather, etc. I always keep my "professional distance". Wok is work, and I always keep it that way.

Op, you also may want to contact their corporate office and file a formal complaint. In Texas, to falsely accuse you of theft is a crime. If they in fact filed a false report of a crime against you is a crime in itself. Not sure what the statutes are in your state.

Last edited:
You may still be a probationary employee . If so , you're toast . They don't have to prove anything .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back