I was accused of theft, how to dispute?

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the corporate world when a higher up ask how’s it going, they do not actually want to know.

The proper reply is “everything is great”.

Yep. Everything is sunshine and roses.

My big boss likes to ask me “What’s new, what’s going on ?”

Me: everything is on autopilot and no problems.

Theft is a criminal matter. If you are being accused of a crime you did not commit, I'd resign on the spot. If they are willing to do that, there is no limit to what they are willing to do.

Quit now. The income could easily be offset by legal, court and criminal charges.

So,

I just started a job two months ago. I was written up for theft of wine and pizza. (I Work in one of my state's largest retirement homes). Here's my problem. The vice director i.e. asked how its going. I made a few comments about how my boss is always negative towards myself, even though i have a ton of positive reviews. She told my boss that I complained. Now its retaliatory. I also, mentioned that the two other assistant general managers have gone behind my back to complain that I'm not " cohesive with my co-workers ". Whats the absolute best way to convey with my HR. Has anyone here had to fight a boss or hr? The gloves are off.

I agree this might not be the best venue for this. But document everything, contact your states labor dept. (which vary widely) possibly contact a lawyer that specializes in employment and labor law if that is in your budget. But I would think theft allegations would require some sort of proof. I'm guessing they didn't contact the police. Are there cameras (CCTV) in that area of the building?

I agree this might not be the best venue for this. But document everything, contact your states labor dept. (which vary widely) possibly contact a lawyer that specializes in employment and labor law if that is in your budget. But I would think theft allegations would require some sort of proof. I'm guessing they didn't contact the police. Are there cameras (CCTV) in that area of the bulding?
If OP lives in an “at will” state, his best choice is to leave on his terms since an employer doesn’t even need a reason to fire people.

But really, if an employer is willing to accuse you of stealing KNOWING it’s a false accusation, who would really want to continue working for them? There’s 10 million job openings. Give the liars an additional opening, and go fill one for a more honest employer!

While yes, HR is there for the company, it's ridiculous to be accused of and then punished for something with no proof. There is a process and your manager didn't follow it. Contact HR before your manager does.

That said, your time there is over. Look for another job but don't just shrug your shoulders and walk away from this one yet. I'd force their hand and make them make that decision.

I was written up for theft of wine and pizza
Did you sign the writeup? Do you work in the kitchen, Did someone witness you nibbling a slice and taking a sip of wine, or were you caught on camera carrying a whole pizza and bottle of wine to your car? A lot of unanswered questions here but I will say that all of the companies I have ever worked for, theft was the number 1 reason for immediate dismissal. There’s another side to this story that we’re not hearing.

As some of the above said, think about cutting ties. Why work there? "Nobody wants to work anymore" is the mantra I hear often but it seems a lot of employers have a hard time finding help because they are idiots or hire idiots for critical management positions. Personally if I am innocent I hate cutting and running from defamatory allegations when they have no proof assuming that's the case. I was once accused of stealing from the till at a crappy restaurant owned by a person that had no idea what she was doing and was the typical hospitality industry failure because she wanted to build a restaurant that appealed to her rather than one that actually appealed to the local cliental.

In any case, I was accused and demoted to busboy and not allowed to handle money, so I told her she was a complete idiot (in a nice way, referring to her as Inspector Cluso) and that I was just a patsy set up by one of her other neurotic, mental case secret alcoholic/addict waitresses that was always crowing how her husband left her and she had no money (she was cheating on him, but she forgot to mention that). Having a few of those jobs bartending and waiting, I never ever had been accused to that before or since

I left and gee, what do you know? The thefts continued unabated! I hate to say this because I did not hate the owner and actually felt sorry for her, but I was glad when the restaurant closed not long after...

There’s 10 million job openings.
Isn't that the truth! I checked our local large university jobs posting page and they list 800+ openings. Of those, nearly 300 are staff positions, many that do not require a college education. The jobs have decent benefits, pay, and protections from situations such as the OP's.

There is a huge consensus here regarding the OP's choices. Good reminder for me to be mindful of answers to supervisors - state it in a positive fashion at the least.

Last edited:
Nursing homes serve alcohol?
My mom lives in a large group assisted living facility and they have a "free" happy hour every Friday afternoon. One of many perks you get for $3,500/month fees. It's a bit comical because she points out the "cliques" , who's dating who, etc. .........very similar to high school she says, except most here are walking around a bit bent over, with walkers, oxygen machines, scooter chairs, yada yada yada.

Ahhh........what we all get to look forward to, LOL.

Last edited:
Nursing home and assisted living are not the same thing.
The OP used the term “retirement home” which may, or may not, encompass either of the above terms. I’m really not certain what he does, or where he works, or for whom, just that he’s been accused of stealing and “the gloves are off.”

Turn in your two weeks’ notice on your next work day, and expect for them to walk you out the same day. Just being realistic. Cut your ties now while you still have some control of the situation.
If OP lives in an “at will” state, his best choice is to leave on his terms since an employer doesn’t even need a reason to fire people.

But really, if an employer is willing to accuse you of stealing KNOWING it’s a false accusation, who would really want to continue working for them? There’s 10 million job openings. Give the liars an additional opening, and go fill one for a more honest employer!
I mostly agree and I'd leave one way or another. But if these allegations are false or unproveable, the OP might want to confront HR regarding the allegations. "What proof is there? Why weren't police notified? You have thieves but do not fire them immediately? Wow, you really do protect the residents here, don't you?". Just "write up" them?

It seems a bit sketchy if not illegal. You can't just say whatever you want without recourse as there are federal as well as state laws. Also this employer may tell future perspective employers that he's a thief to blackball him.

Consult a lawyer and have a service call the employer after he leaves for "a reference".

IMHO, if I am innocent and didn't do anything, I'm looking to leave with a settlement...

You just found out what kind of place you work for. Either learn to tolerate the BS or move on. It is an employees job market right now.

I am glad I found a place where this stuff is not common and they listen to the employees. It is rare but they are out there.

I mean, what allegations one would expect for a pizza or wine consumption/theft for real

however, OP needs to work on his EQ

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back