I think I converted my dad

Status
Not open for further replies.
For years I was trying to get my dad to let me change the oil in his cars, and he always declined. I had at least got him to start going to the ford dealer for his oil changes, because they at least use motorcraft filters and oil ( I used to work there and my cosin still does). Well he is a little picky and the last time he went to the dealer they left some oily handprints in his interior, so he was done with that lol. So he went back to the quickie lube he had been going to prior, so I made one more attempt to do it for him. To my surprise he said ok ( that was a few months ago) fast forward to yesterday he calls me and asks when he can come, so i had him come over yesterday afternoon. I had told him to get qsud 5w20 and a motorcraft filter, of course he brought with him a fram and pyb. I had a motorcraft in my stash so I used that. the vehicle btw is a 2011 f-250 6.2 liter. He said he had 6800 miles on the unknown oil and to his surprise wrong filter ( he was pretty upset). So i filled it up with 7 quarts of pennzoil 5w20 and its proper motorcraft filter 820s. I told him to come back in 3 to 4k since the quickie lube more than likely used some poor quality oil. and he said oo ok. So this morning I get another call from him saying that he took the fram back and now has 2 motorcrafts (already hoarding?) and his own funnel. I told my wife that I think he is becoming one of us lol, and she just shook her head. Sorry for the long story just had to share.

Well my cousin used to work there and now he decides to tell me this one used recycled oil, dont know how true it is. As far as the filter goes it was focus sized, it wasnt an ecore surprisingly. The oil was dark but not black, and didnt smell to bad. I just have personal trust issues with these places and their bulk tanks and whats in them.

Yeah, I have not even attempted to convert anyone. But he would of been fine with the fram, but IMHO nothing beats a motorcraft filter for a Ford. Also the PYB will serve him just fine in his 6.2 for a normal service schedule and change it out at 6-7K, although bulk oil has been used it was regularly changed so, I doubt you will have any issues. Also good luck, I normally do not preform maintenance for family members, it is a no win situation.

Liked the story. I remember when I was a kid, and one of my friends needed a couple quarts of oil. My dad always did keep a lot of oil, so I walked out to the shop and grabed my friend 4 quarts of the old havoline 10w-30 high moly stuff. That very evening my dad was investigating who got into his stash. I told him I gave it to a friend in need. My mom told me to stay out of my dads stash as that is his hobby. He probably keeps a better inventory than wal mart! After hording oil for 40 years there isnt no telling what is in his stash. Guess thats where I get it from.

The Delta Sonic oil change place near us charges extra for recycled oil. They put the "green" spin on it, and people are paying extra.

I personally will run whatever oil in my economy cars, so long as I have a coupon to have it done, or I do it myself.

The firestone near me changes oil and filter with kendall for $19.99 with coupon.

+1,
I bought my grandmother inlaw a battery one time and installed it for her. After that anytime the car would not crank she called me. It was like I was the daddy of the battery. Sheese

So Cool! I tried for many years to get my dad to let me take care of his oil changes,he always said "you are working and it's just extra work for you". He had no idea i enjoyed it and felt good being able to repay him a small amount for all the things he did for me while growing up. He had a local mechanic everyone around knew and trusted change it out for him for $10 and dad would buy the oil and filter himself. He did listen to me and always used QSGB and a Wix or Puro filter though.
thumbsup2.gif
It couldn't have been too dirty because he would have it changed every 3k or get nervous about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back