I saved a guy from non-detergent Golden State! I was probably too late!?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I met a guy in H.E.B (grocery store) the other day in the automotive section. I was looking at the Type A tranny fluid and this customer comes by with his cart and asks me if I need tranny fluid. Of course I say no but proceed to tell him how I think Type A is really bad and Golden State motor oil should be outlawed. He then tells me that he recommends Type F for Fords and that he is using Golden State motor oil in his recently rebuilt Chevy Pickup. He said the pickup burns oil like crazy because this guy(some mechanic) rebuilt it wrong and he keeps taking it back to this guy to tear it down and put it back together to stop the burning. He puts the blame on the mechanic for not knowing what he is doing and yet he(customer) keeps coming back there. Of course he(the guy I met) is using Golden State because the truck burns so much and its cheap.

Anyway, I convince the guy of how bad Golden State is, as in no Anti-Wear additives and detergents, really no additives of any sort plus its made for cars built before 1930. I didn't tell him how much sludge it makes and how it will destroy the motor so as not to offend him on his oil choice.

I told him that he can go to Wal-Mart and get the Wal-Mart brand oil and get the full formula for 88 cents instead of the 97 cents he is paying for Golden State at H.E.B u t t. I think that is what convinced him to get off the Golden State,maybe not,but a recommended cheaper better alternative usually helps. The guy was very excited and thankful for my advice
and thought I was very knowledgeable(I mentioned the SA vs. SM rating thing in the conversation so that probably baffled him).

Now that Super Tech is 99 cents it no longer has a price advantage over Golden State in H.E.B. and people won't be as impressed with my oil lecture in the grocery store next time I make one.
frown.gif

Right now I feel guilty as I didn't say Super Tech, I said Wal-Mart oil. I did not thoroughly explain what to look for, just 88 cent Wal-Mart oil. Now it's not 88 cents either so I hope he doesn't get confused and use something non detergent again. He won't look for SM or read the back of the label(most don't). Maybe the Super Tech would dislodge something nasty anyway.
crushedcar.gif

It may not be the mechanic's fault as much as the oil for this guy and his consumption. Although from the way I took it the consumption came first then the use of Golden State as a solution. Maybe he needed it rebuilt the first time because he used Golden State all the time before, can't take that from what he said but you never know the truth from some people's talk.

H.E.B u tt(yes that is the store founder's real full name as mentioned in the store, poor guy) carries at that location Quaker State including 4x4 blend,Pennzoil including High Mileage,and Golden State for their suprisingly large motor oil selection. Golden State has the lowest price and they sell it. There are quite a few H.E.Bs in this part of Texas and they have varying selections.

By the way, the guy told me Pennzoil will destroy your valves. Along with Type F and non detergent you have a complete Texas automotive wisdom as practiced by Texas natives.
cheers.gif
rolleyes.gif

That SA golden state oil should be outlawed. It's always the cheapest oil on the shelf at the convenient store.. I don't know how many older oil using vehicles have been rushed to the junk yard by this poison.

I was going to buy an older toyota 4x4 as a project trail rig a few months ago. It had a valve cover leak and probably a rear seal leak noting a drip from the bellhousing, no big deal I can fix that, then As I was inspecting the body and frame (which were pretty decent for a coastal truck) I came to the bed of the truck and a few bottles of empty Golden State... I didn't buy it.
crushedcar.gif

Pure Virgin Mineral oil. Gotta love the ignorant masses.

offtopic.gif
when I went to use valuecraft from autozone for a 3k flush, I made sure to pick up the SL bottles it said "1989 and newer vehicles" on the front. they were also selling oil that said "1988 and older vehicles" for the same price. I wonder how many engines were toast by people picking up non SL oil causing autozone to put the 1989 and newer vehicle label on the front of the bottle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back