I need a new mower

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
Got my 109 dollar wal mart big rear wheel el cheapo supreme in the shed. Started first pull this season, cuts like a bear and will simply be discarded if anything fails. Super lightweight is a plus for a trim mower.

Sounds like the El Cheapo Poulin a guy I used to work with gave me last week... Primer doesn't work and the 4.5Hp Briggs belches black smoke if I start it using fluid, apparently needs a $3 carburetor diaphragm otherwise it's in good cond...

If the diaphragm fixes the carb, I may put this engine on my third Snapper that has a tired 3.5Hp...

Husqvarna 7021P. I've had mine for 2 years and ~60 hrs and it has been flawless. I cut a 12,000 sq ft level lawn weekly and the GCV160 was the main reason I wanted it.

Originally Posted By: GregGA

What else do I like?: miserly on the gas, ran it an hour and 15 minutes on a 1/4 gallon of

Not sure if that's so great...

I have a Briggs 6.75 Flathead on my 2008 Craftsman self propelled and I can mow our .4 acre on a tank and have some left over. Run time is 1 - 1.5 hours.

One would think the "superior" Honda could do better than that.

Don't know the differences in Briggs. The Toro had a "6.5" horse engine.

I really think the main problem with my 20056 was the BBC. That's one less thing to worry about on the Honda.

I'm sure someone on BITOG has done a scientific fuel economy test on L head vs. OHC Honda's.

Let us know your results. My Honda sure SEEMS to get better mileage than the Briggs, but I haven't measured the fuel tank capacity of the Briggs. I could only get about 45 minutes on a tank.

Let us know your results. My Honda sure SEEMS to get better mileage than the Briggs, but I haven't measured the fuel tank capacity of the Briggs. I could only get about 45 minutes on a tank.

My GCV160 Honda wins over the older flathead Briggs engines probably 2:1... The 7Hp OHV Briggs I traded away wasn't miserly either, then I mostly mulched with it and that keeps the engine under more load than scattering clippings...

Are we comparing pre 2006 engines to post 2006 engines? I believe it was 2006 when the EPA clamped down and made everyone "lean them out".

I am going by the specs here:
http://www.briggsandstratton.com/us/en/engines/push-mower-engines/675ex-series

It's the closest to the one I have and it's got a 1/4 gallon capacity. And I know I fill it up when I start and it's got a little bit left when I finish. Sometimes it's fumes and sometimes it's enough to slosh around.

I do have a 7.75 Briggs OHV on a pressure washer that will drink fuel but that's to be expected as a pressure washer has a good load (80% of rating) on it while you are pressure washing.

Good point ITGuy.

I pulled my receipt and it is a 2005 model. Thanks for pointing out the epa
changes. Explains why you get better mileage.

I've got a, umm, I forget. 4.5hp B&S mower, cheapo model from Home Depot. I have to push it, so is that self-propelled? Got to be going onto 8 years old; I think I changed the oil once, in the first year. Oil is still clear in it! I mow about an hour to do the yard; but I have to mow anywhere from once/week (like this year) to once/month (last year). And being in NH, that means about four months tops of lawn mowing per year.

Haven't changed the oil in the last 7 years, nor put gas stabilizer in it. Ever. I might have changed the plug in it this year. Just prime 3-4 times and it starts (said to push the button 3 times but I've noticed it wanting 4 lately). Goes about 40 minutes on a tank (what is that, a quart in there?).

4-ish years ago I had to redo the carb, as the diaphram quit. Last year the mag died. Been quite happy, until this year. Mower deck has at least two holes in it. I'd look for another deck, but it seems like time. Probably going to stick with B&S again, same setup. If I can find for under $150 and get 5 years... why not? Will probably keep the engine and tear it apart with the kids next year.

Originally Posted By: TFB1

My GCV160 Honda wins over the older flathead Briggs engines probably 2:1... The 7Hp OHV Briggs I traded away wasn't miserly either, then I mostly mulched with it and that keeps the engine under more load than scattering clippings...

I don't own anything newer than 2004 and my Honda has a earlier carb that has a mixture adjustment...

Oops I did just get a '06 B&S flathead but I have maybe 10 minutes of useage so have no idea how long it may run on a full tank...

Last edited:
I'd recommend a Toro Super Recycler WITHOUT the blade brake clutch (BBC) or Honda HR217.

There is a nice Toro Super Recycler with 159cc chonda on eBay in Michigan right now for $495 or best offer. These have an aluminum deck and quality drive components that should last 15 years easily. Avoid the regular Toro Recycler and go straight to the Super Recycler.

Also, mowersource.com sells brand new Toro Super Recyclers for $499 shipped to your door, a very good price in my opinion.

I really think the main problem with my 20056 was the BBC. That's one less thing to worry about on the Honda.

Yep, BBC is an unnecessary complexity, which is why I got a non-BBC Personal Pace. For walk-behind mowers I have about 3 requirements:

1) no BBC- just shutdown/restart type blade brake
2) FLATHEAD engine. No OHV on a walk-behind.
3) 22" and with a rear-bag option for fall leaves.

The mower I "replaced" with the Toro is a 1994 Murray with 6-horse Briggs flathead with engine brake safety- I didn't replace it, it just got demoted to mowing the rocky vacant lots. Its still on its original self-propel drive belt, but it jumps off the idler its so loose and I really should replace it.

I grew up mowing with Hondas. Dad had 2 of them! I always wanted one for my own. I saved up for 2 years and just bought one 3 weeks ago.

http://www.speedwaysales.com/lawn-mowers-honda-hrx217hya-lawn-mower-p-3746.html#.UfBeijko5jo

This mower is amazing! After breaking in the motor and changing oil to 10W-30 synthetic. I'm set for many many years. I bought a couple of extra air filters.

The GCV190 motor is amazingly strong. Starts on first pull. Ball bearing wheels are incredibly smooth. It's not cheap but I don't have plans on buying another... I will pass this mower down to my son.

Sorry for the delay.

I knew you guys would give some good advice...and some of the comments cracked me up!

I am leaning toward the Husqvarna, but there are several others that might be just as adequate.
I don't think it has a deck wash system: are there aftermarket versions available?
I really like the idea of ball-bearing wheels. Whytheheck don't more manufacturers (or makers of aftermarket parts) offer this option? Guess they want to sell wheels.

I'm no longer concerned with the Honda engine (I will add a fuel filter), but will avoid the plastic front-ends.
There are a BUNCH of mowers on the market with that same front end!

Here is an interesting story about my old Yard Machines/MTD: I needed a new wheel adjustment assembly a couple of years ago and decided to just replace all four.
I called MTD directly. They were polite and helpful, but only had 2 available (apparently there was an issue in their supply chain), so I ordered 2 of them. The parts arived promptly and well-packaged.

About a month later, there was a message on my answering machine stating that if I still needed the parts they could send them right away.

I was impressed with the customer service. That single event, combined with the good record of my current mower leads me to have some respect for MTD.
Despite the engine getting tired, it still mulches very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back