I need a new backpack leaf blower

I need a backpack leaf blower. I live on acreage and have been using a Poulan Pro handheld blower but it
is inadequate for my needs.

One concern of a backpack unit is the straps since my wife and I take turns using the same equipment.
If they are adjustable and really need to be adjusted for each person, that might suck.

I'm looking at these: The Makita is $399
https://www.comomowerservice.com/ne...e-throttle-backpack-blower-eb5300th-28019238b

I was happy with my echo pb-580t, its the price leader in its segment ~~500cfm
IIRC I got mine on sale for $250, regular price is around $330
Echo measures CFM at the tube.. some measure at the housing.

I sold it for $225 after using it for 4 years.
I now have an echo pb-8010 1071CFM.. its amazing.. you could sit on a boat and propel yourself with it (lol)
its the biggest CFM available from anyone right now. price is higher usually $599 but 15% off dealer days happens often.

both start very easy with 1 pull. I would recommend either to anyone 100%

My dad has the echo pb-755 backpack and it is quite good(I've used it often) but outdated now unless they have some sort of special pricing.
its about 20% more air than the 580t and slightly faster (mph) but 50% more $$$ than 580t.
it does scrape wet stuck down leaves off the ground slightly better but the pb-8010 moves piles like nothing you have seen from a backpack blower.

There are tons of good options for backpack blowers.

you also need to decide 2 stroke vs 4 stroke etc.

Last edited:
I'm sure things have changed a lot since I bought my Stihl BR 400 back around 1999. I used it commercially for 8 years and for the last 13 years around my house. In that time I have changed the pull start rope, scraped out the exhaust port twice (it was starting to lose power from being clogged). changed the spark plug maybe 2 or 3 times, gone through maybe 7 or 8 air filters. And replaced the carb once. It still fires up on the 2nd pull everytime and runs perfect. It looks like a truck hit it....because I ran over it one time. My vote is buy a Stihl.

I have a Redmax EBZ-7500. I paid $399 for it and love it. Plenty of power but they make an 8500 if you really need to blow cinder blocks around the yard.

Now this sounds like a nice blower.

Two cycle. Husqvarna. Nothing MTD. If you are left handed some throttle on the tube might be a problem.

I would look at what is available cordless. Getting better each season.

Get one with the most CFM that is in your price range. I have a Husqvarna I purchased at Lowe's 5-6 years ago that works well.

the husky that lowes sells is a bargin and execellent machine. avoid sthil quality is poor now. the Makita you mentions is very heavy and problematic . its a 4 stroke. you want a 2 stroke

Let me just second my own Redmax recommendation. Tons of the commercial landscape crews use them here and for the price point you are at it offers a lot of power. It is noisy though but I wear plugs or muffs with it.
768 cfm in the pipe, 900+ in the housing. 3.75 hp and a big fuel tank. My dealer does $100 off promo occasionally on them.

I got this one a couple years ago...live in the middle of the woods. Both myself and my beautiful bride use it, more than once a week. Starts second pull, crazy power, and easy on fuel.

Get the PB-8010 and never have to worry if you made the wrong decision. Its the best unit to date.

The old Green Machines made in japan were awsome. But obsolete now.

the one at lowes is the hysky bt150. have used mine commercially and its got good power and has held up. best buy on the market

I found a used Stihl BR800 on offer up and been using it for past 3 years no problem. If you use stihl oil and take care of your equipment, you won't need to replace it for a very long time. I used to own a redmax and sold it because it was way too big and way too loud at that time. Since them I moved from 8000 sq feet lot to 1 acre and I wish I would still have my redmax!

Back