I just ordered my first Apple Watch

I've casually wanted one for a few years now but decided not to spend the money. My wife recently asked if I would like one for fathers day
peaked my interest, so I did some light research today and decided on the SE model. Yes, it is an EARLY father day gift and should arrive in 10 days or so. I purchased through Apple and paired it with the magnetic metal band. Both the band and Apple watch are in the space grey color.

So, for those who have them or know about them what do I have to look forward too? I will enjoy being able to send a quick text on the fly and track my heart rate.

Here is mine:
MYAN2_VW_34FR+watch-40-alum-spacegray-nc-se_VW_34FR_WF_CO_GEO_US.jpeg

I dont have an apple phone.. so cant buy one. darn.
of course samsung are being scumbags too with features on their watches that only work with samsung phones..(no reason for that even less than apple watches)

I have an Apple Watch Series 6 44MM w/Cellular. Having the cellular option means I don't have to carry my phone with me to make phone calls, send/receive texts, access data, etc. Different ways to customize the watch face with different bits of information or something simple.

Apple markets the watch as a health and fitness device so it does remind you to stay active, exercise and stand regularly. It has heart rate functions that can detect heart fibrillation and fall detection if you fall and can't get up.

I dont have an apple phone.. so cant buy one. darn.

Pretty sure you can use one without an iPhone via 'family setup' whereby someone with an iPhone sets it up for you with your own number:

You'd have to decide if that is worth it for your individual usage case however.

good choice; I have series 2; still works flawlessly; SE model is all that you need; I set my on 710 daily calories as a goal; you can track progress on watch as well as on the app on iPhone

Junk battery life. Get ready to charge daily. For what you likely gonna use it (checking time) you could get a better watch. Oh, and be ready for some scratches, but you know how to deal with paint issue well enough

I use mine mostly for monitoring heart rate and texts if I’m busy, or changing music while I’m on the mower so I don’t have to pull out my phone.

All of us enjoy them … I’m probably the hardest on them and buy these:

I've casually wanted one for a few years now but decided not to spend the money. My wife recently asked if I would like one for fathers day
peaked my interest, so I did some light research today and decided on the SE model. Yes, it is an EARLY father day gift and should arrive in 10 days or so. I purchased through Apple and paired it with the magnetic metal band. Both the band and Apple watch are in the space grey color.

So, for those who have them or know about them what do I have to look forward too? I will enjoy being able to send a quick text on the fly and track my heart rate.

Here is mine:
View attachment 48286
Whats so funny Automechanic?

Magnetic bands can affect the built-in compass so if you plan to use the compass feature you have to use a non-magnetic band.

Can Apple back up your statement?

The presence of magnets can affect the accuracy of any compass sensor. Apple's Leather Link, Leather Loop, Milanese Loop, and earlier Sport Loop watch bands use magnets or magnetic material that might interfere with the Apple Watch compass. The compass isn't affected by Sport Loop bands introduced in September 2019 or later, or any version of the Sport Band.

I was going to get my gf an Apple watch until I read of the 18hr battery. Bought her the Garmin Venu SQ Music instead. She loves it. Music can be added to it & she can listen to music via Bluetooth headphones & not need the phone nearby. Lots of other features too

I was going to get my gf an Apple watch until I read of the 18hr battery. Bought her the Garmin Venu SQ Music instead. She loves it. Music can be added to it & she can listen to music via Bluetooth headphones & not need the phone nearby. Lots of other features too
Depends how heavily you use it, but just wearing and not doing much else on it, such as when I’m at work, I can get 2 days out of it... barely, but possible. Otherwise 24 hours is easy to do.

Ive been on and off about purchasing one/asking for it as a gift like you. I still haven't.
However I see you mentioned "Heart Rate" for me what REALLY peeks my interest is the ECG monitoring, as you get a bit older (and young) the ECG can be a lifesaver, literally. I think available on the series 4 & 5, not sure.

For the first time in my life, I recently had a Heart Cauterization all turned out as ok as can be (could have been better but no intervention needed) but sometime in the last couple years I developed an irregular heartbeat (very common) but would have known about it much sooner as it was not constant and didnt show up on my yearly ECGs for my physical. I say for the last couple years because it was detected when I went to the DR for a sore throat earache about just over 2-3 years ago but didnt show up during the following 2 annual physicals.
Anyway, I would have known sooner as I learned an ECG AKA EKG is only a snap shot of what is happening during the 15 seconds of the test, so you can stand up and walk out the Drs office or any time fo the day with an irregular heartbeat other then that 15 seconds or so.

However some not as lucky develop something more severe and the Apple Watch has saved countless lives or brought attention to an issue that got treated before damage.

Ps, I have had what some might consider an extremely healthy life so far, hope it continues but now I do have some things to watch out for.
Anyway, after the events of the last 2 months, Im getting a bit closer to the idea now. I always wore watches and have a tiny collection of favorites, the Apple Watch didnt fit into that look for me but I aver to admit, I like the look you picked out with that band.
BTW- I do love everything with technology, the only reason for holding off on the watch was the "look" and charging it every night. Without question it a great device.

Last edited:
I'll probably get my sons watch when he gets tire of it. Does how I get my I phones hand me downs just replace the battery and good to go!

Depends how heavily you use it, but just wearing and not doing much else on it, such as when I’m at work, I can get 2 days out of it... barely, but possible. Otherwise 24 hours is easy to do.
Left mine off the charger last night and @ 61% … keep an extra charger (USB) in the vehicle too …

Back