I Hate Murphy -- A Lot!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a bit of a rant here, please forgive me in advance.

As you can see from this January 2009 thread, I had a rock-induced windshield loss last year. Being the affirmed and confirmed procrastinator that I am, I waited until last week to get it replaced. It was sort of fun, in a perverse way to watch the main crack migrate hither and yon around my windshield. Thankfully, it turned back 180 degrees toward the passenger side, as it was approaching the critical zone of driver view. Yeah, I know, it was disgraceful to wait that long...

Well, on Friday, with my new, crystal clear, OEM Toyota glass only what, nine days old -- you guessed it! Minding my own business driving down Navy Boulevard in Pensacola (a clean, well-traveled city road) and out of nowhere -- POP!!! Another rock and another crack! And ironically and spookily, the impact point is less than six inches from the last windshield's original impact point.

At least the crack is small. I have a repair scheduled for Tuesday, we'll see how that works...

Talk about being totally and incredibly PO-ed.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Originally Posted By: xxch4osxx
I think you can get cracks filled with some form of acrylic at a windsheild shop. They have them here but I have never had a need to use them.

Yes, USAA's local approved contractor is already scheduled to come try that Tuesday. If that doesn't work, we're looking at another new one...

Give Mr. Murphy my regards. I got a little chip in the windshield of my 04 Altima when it was only a few months old and had it repaired at the glass shop with the acrylic repair and it is good to this day. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to hear. I feel for you. My details are so close to yours there's no use in posting them. I'm afraid to get the "new" one replaced again.

Originally Posted By: ekpolk

Talk about being totally and incredibly PO-ed.
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif
mad.gif

Hey.... guess what? I'll trade you...

I had a kid slam into the back of my truck on December 28th. My truck was in the body shop for nearly a month, and we came within a thousand bucks of totaling it out.

I suffered a concussion and whiplash, and I am STILL seeing the Chiropractor three times a week. I have to take pain pills every morning when I get out of bed. I can only physically do about half the things that I could do before the accident.

I still am unsure if I will be able to ride my motorcycle again for any substantial distance (I used to be able to ride 800 mile days).

And you're getting this stressed out over something as replacing a windshield twice?

Wow...
21.gif

Originally Posted By: mrsilv04
. . .
I still am unsure if I will be able to ride my motorcycle again for any substantial distance (I used to be able to ride 800 mile days).

And you're getting this stressed out over something as replacing a windshield twice?

Wow...
21.gif

Easy now, all things in perspective. Please note, I said I was "PO-ed," not devastated beyond all recognition. Having practiced law here in FL for over 16 years, I've seen cases like yours, and far, far worse many, many times. I in no way equate my situation to the likes of yours or those involving totally disabled individuals who have it far worse than you do (you know, the poor guys who will only ride a forced air respirator for the rest of their days...). Still and all, I think I'm well within reason to be frustrated to lose a week-old, $1200 windshield like this.
cheers3.gif

I feel your pain, ekpolk. I don't know what it is about replacing windshields - but I dread it. If it's done correctly and with good glass, you're fine. Problem is there is always the chance of getting cheap glass and/or a poor install. Atleast you got OEM glass and seems like the shop did a good job, so you'll be fine once all is said and done.

Good luck.

Still and all, I think I'm well within reason to be frustrated to lose a week-old, $1200 windshield like this.
cheers3.gif

You paid $1200 for a replacement windshield? OMG, what were you thinking? I had a new windshield (LOF) put in my 2006 Chevy Silverado pickup and it cost the princely sum of $180 installed. They had it done in 1/2 a day and it is perfect. No leaks, distortion, nothing. Either, you fell down and your wallet fell out, or you went to the dealer.

Originally Posted By: Zedhed

Still and all, I think I'm well within reason to be frustrated to lose a week-old, $1200 windshield like this.
cheers3.gif

You paid $1200 for a replacement windshield? OMG, what were you thinking? I had a new windshield (LOF) put in my 2006 Chevy Silverado pickup and it cost the princely sum of $180 installed. They had it done in 1/2 a day and it is perfect. No leaks, distortion, nothing. Either, you fell down and your wallet fell out, or you went to the dealer.

No, I did not. In Florida, by state law, we have zero-deductible windshield replacements. The listed price for this item is $1200. I have no idea how much cash actually changed hands between the supplier (Toyota) and my insurance company (I certainly suspect some discounting arrangements are in place). YOU need to do your homework, and read all the previous postings, before going "high and to the right. . . "
cheers3.gif
wink.gif

No, I did not. In Florida, by state law, we have zero-deductible windshield replacements. The listed price for this item is $1200. I have no idea how much cash actually changed hands between the supplier (Toyota) and my insurance company (I certainly suspect some discounting arrangements are in place). YOU need to do your homework, and read all the previous postings, before going "high and to the right. . . "
cheers3.gif
wink.gif

I did read all the posts and you never once said that $1200 was the list price, you just said it cost that much. If I am incorrect -- do you mind putting up your quote so I can "see" what I didn't "read" You should say what you mean, and not ask us to read your mind. Also, I don't "practice" law in FL so I am not aware of their laws concerning windshield replacement and thus not accountable for your non-disclosure of that relevant info. I guess when you make a living reading the fine print......

Last edited:

cheers3.gif
wink.gif

I did read all the posts and you never once said that $1200 was the list price, you just said it cost that much. If I am incorrect -- do you mind putting up your quote so I can "see" what I didn't "read" You should say what you mean, and not ask us to read your mind. Also, I don't "practice" law in FL so I am not aware of their laws concerning windshield replacement and thus not accountable for your non-disclosure of that relevant info. I guess when you make a living reading the fine print......

I guess when you live your life without an adequate supply of your medications. . .

One more time, reeeeeally slowly, this is an internet discussion forum. Nobody lives or dies here (not physically anyway). Really, keep it all in perspective, please.

p.s. Only a complete nut would pay $1200 out of pocket for a windshield. Did I need to lay out all the details in surgical detail???

Last edited:
I had to pay out of pocket for a windshield a few years back, I forgot to put glass on my Saturn.

That was a 250 dollar mistake.

The insurance for full glass with 0 deductible is like 4 dollars per six month policy.

Let me just offer this rare piece of real legal advice: for any members from FLORIDA, our law MANDATES, right or wrong, that you get windshield repair or replacement for ZERO DEDUCTIBLE. One of the few provisions of Florida Law that makes sense, IMO.

Anyway, if you live in FL, and you have a busted windshield, your insurance company HAS to pay. PM me if you have a problem like this. I have kids to feed. I'd LOVE to help ANY of you with this, even if you live in Miami or Key West.

ekpolk said:
You paid $1200 for a replacement windshield? OMG, what were you thinking? I had a new windshield (LOF) put in my 2006 Chevy Silverado pickup and it cost the princely sum of $180 installed.

Windshields vary WIDELY in price. They're not all $180 anymore.

Originally Posted By: css9450
ekpolk said:
You paid $1200 for a replacement windshield? OMG, what were you thinking? I had a new windshield (LOF) put in my 2006 Chevy Silverado pickup and it cost the princely sum of $180 installed.

Windshields vary WIDELY in price. They're not all $180 anymore.

No, they're not. I would add this detail: amongst the entire Camry family, the hybrid version gets it's own unique panel of glass. Apparently, it has a special, noise absorbing layer that the others don't get. We can debate the wisdom of this all day (or night), but at the end of the day (night), the TCH has a different part number for its windshield. But the cheap window replacement folks insist that ALL Camrys get the same glass. How special...

I feel your pain, bro. I had a new Chevy S-10. Rock hit it, 3 weeks later another rock hit the new one and busted it worse than the first one. Cost ins. co. $280.00 each time.

Tough crowd. 1200 for a windshield is not uncommon. For example, the Buick Rendezvous windshield is close to 1600. There are a lot of factors at play here: point of manufacture, embedded antenna, tint. I would have opted for factory too, if insurance would go for it.
My Murphy encounter was last week. We picked up my lovely spouses new Equinox on the 14th. One week old, 500 miles, I backed the new Nox into a lightpole. 1400 in damage, and that is without one new part from GM except 2 push button fenderwell attachments. I vetoed the backup cam and proximity sensor set-up when we purchased it. While my wife is beautiful and understanding, this is just bad karma for me in the future.....
Murphy will continue to work on me for a while with this I'm sure.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
ekpolk - I doubt that you are in sackcloth and ashes crying out loud, "Why me?! Why me?"

But I feel for ya.

Well, we're not to sack cloth yet, but with the economy driving more than half of last year's business to the public defender's office, it's going to be a long, long time before I could personally spring for a $1200 piece of glass without doing some major scrambling.

Once again, and thankfully, Florida mandates zero deductible windshield coverage. Of course, there are no free lunches out there, and I'm sure that the ins cos pass this cost right along in our premiums, but still, it makes it a lot easier when all you have to do is counter-sign the invoice and drive away (once the glue has dried).

And yes, this particular WS is very, very pricey. It is a special "hybrid particular" part, not used elsewhere in the Camry line. It apparently has an additional layer of sound-absorbing plastic (beyond the normal sheet of safety stuff). Prices like this are what happens when you have a relatively low volume, must-have part that's manufactured overseas. Oh well...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back