I could use some fab advice

I had originally posted a question about Balacing a Chipper Shredder Flywheel (link). Now I am building a balancer on the cheap since the local mower shops and machine shops want a bunch of money to balance the flywheel / blades. They are severely out of balance due to corrosion. In the process of building my own balancer, I have decided to make a mock engine shaft turned on my lathe attached to pillow block bearings on a fabbed up frame that can be vice mounted or inserted into a 2" hitch receiver. This shaft has to support the weight of a 25 pound flywheel when fully dressed with all the blades in place. I have replaced the grease in the bearings with oil for super easy turning. The question I have is; Should I space the pillow blocks 3" on one plate or space the pillow blocks 9" on two separate plates? Maybe someone has an entirely different idea I haven't thought of. But If those ideas don't flow, I'm thinking 3" spacing would be adequate for such a little load and balancing accuracy.
Thanks in advance

100_6714_zpsv6m0qglm.jpg

100_6716_zpscarhedx2.jpg

100_6718_zpsbatpdjc0.jpg

From looking at photo it looks like you will mount the flywheel on one end of a shaft and insert into the bearings? space the bearings far apart and get the flywheel as close to one bearing as you can. Weld on some metal to the light side or grind some off the heavy side to balance.

The grease seals on the bearings will add a tiny bit of stiction that may keep the heavy spot from pointing directly downward. Using a tiny pick u should be able to peel the seals out. Once removed spin and flush with wd40 until smooth rolling. I balance motorcycle wheels using bearings and a shaft like this and it works very well.

Last edited:
How did this end? I have the same machine and am working the same problem. I have the motorcycle wheel balancer and have both drilled holes in the wheel and welded beads on the opposite side to get it to balance. It's better, but still shakes too much.

Back