I can’t get a straight answer

Follow the OWNER'S MANUAL. However, 10,000 miles is a general mileage number. Does the car have a Maintenance Reminder or Oil Change Monitor?

I am dubious that you'll ever get a straight answer. Everyone will have a different opinion.

But I've done 10k OCI's for years. Still do, although I tend to use 5k in winter months (lots of cold starts). I have an older version of this 2.5, it's seen a number of 10k OCI's, still does in summer months. It's also not been damaged by 5W30.

Do you have any reason to believe "others" over the manufacturer? Have "others" posted their testing data to support their 5k recommendation?

If you're worried about it, get a UOA done at 5k and see how it looks.

Given the propensity of modern 2010+ Toyota products to blow head gaskets and burn oil I would say follow the 5000 mile rule.

While new
you can get away with 10,000 mile changes but as these things age it becomes more of a risk and you need to check your oil level often.

An oil change isn’t that expensive right?
Cheap insurance even if it isn’t needed.

Does he drive it hard? Does he drive it alot? Has he ever had a UOA? Does he drive it in high altitudes? How many miles are on the car? Does the engine get to full temp at least once a week?

I would change it every 5k :ROFLMAO:

All I can say is I like 5K OCI. Is 10K OCI OK? Dunno, just not for me.
I have given in to reusing oil filters for 2 OCI and MityVac oil change service.

As far as straight answer, you may never get one. Good luck.

Given the propensity of modern 2010+ Toyota products to blow head gaskets and burn oil I would say follow the 5000 mile rule.

While new
you can get away with 10,000 mile changes but as these things age it becomes more of a risk and you need to check your oil level often.

We have a 2017 Camry and though Toyota says you can go 10,000 miles so do the oil companies. I cannot bring myself to go that far we do 5,000 with Mobil 1 oil because that is what makes us feel comfortable and the oil gets really dirty after that time too at least in our Camry it does.

The maintenance required light goes on every 5k miles. Tire rotation, fluid level checks and some other inspections every 5k. Oil changes every 10k/year.
^^^ This. Had to special request the dealer change the oil in my mom's 2015 Camry since the 1 year would be up long before the next 5k miles would roll up.

While new

I guess it was worth repeating? The head gasket thing is way overblown.

I have a couple of toyota’s that the Manual states 5K oil changes but I got a notice in the mail a year or two later, saying 10K is now the recommend OCI

So do I believe the owners manual or what the manufacturers new recommendation?

My father has a 2017 Camry with the 2.5 i4, Toyota says that if synthetic oil is used 10k oci is fine. Others are saying go 5k...which is it?!
With that little amount of info we dont know if its seeing severe service or 10k a month highway drives.
so your lack of info = lack of answer.

This is from a 2017 Camry Maintenance Guide.

Looks like oil change is every 10K miles unless any of the below mentioned Special Operating Conditions apply, in which case it's 5K miles:

Screenshot from 2021-02-25 11-47-58.png

Back