I cannot decide. 5W-50 or 15W-50. Also ARX

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, i am at an impasse. I Can NOT decide whether to use 15W-50 M1 or 5W-50 Castrol Syntec!
54.gif

Castrol Syntec 5W-50 is Group III so if i chose that i could do an Auto-Rx app with Delo 400 15W-40 for the summer, no worries. Problem solved there, i just have to buy the Auto Rx and really use it through August and September, hot months.

For December, January, i could then go to 5W-50 Group III, which is good for ARX's "Cleaning" Phase.

People DO say 15W-50 i can use year rould, since there is about One week or two that Temps will be like Zero or -5 Overnight ("Overnight low dipping dowm to -5 and -10 in some parts of the Cincinatti area, so bundle up and watch for frozen roads" = Dead of winter.) However, i cant help but think that 5W-50 will Lube faster at start up in ANY Temp from 0 to 100 (hottest it gets is about 100 on a Hot day, spike to 104 perhaps in blazing heat) than a 15W-50, even if it is a 10W-50 at heart.

This is to stop the Oil Burning and all that.

My research leads me to think 5W-50 as well, since M1 may or may not cause leaks and Castrol, being a Fake Synthetic and all, may not.

Thoughts?

And Please pardon the
18.gif
Im seriously tempted to:

1) GET Auto-Rx
2) GET Delo 400 15W-40 HDEO at WM for $12 (!) Summer Oil.
3) USE Auto-RX AND that Oil for 5000 miles, Filter changing.
4) Go Syntec.

The other route is:

1) use or dont use Auto-Rx with the Delo.
2) Go M1 15W-50, again, Wally world.

??????????????????????????????????????????

ARX worked great for me so I would recommend it.

As for the oil if you really think you need a 50wt then go with a 5w50 at least.

cheers3.gif

Why not use an oil that is spec'd for the engine, most likely 5W30. If you plan on using A-Rx use a dino oil. Then save your money for synthetic oil after you're finished with A-Rx.

Or if you really feel the need for a 50 grade oil, buy your favorite oil and add a qt of MMO to it.

How much oil are you burning? What oil is the vehicle spec'ed for? Have you considered using a HM oil to see if it'll slow the oil consumption?

5w-50 would be the most compromised, terrible oil on the market. A sludgemonster waiting to get out of the bottle. This will NOT help a burner.

Actually, Syntec 5W-50 is a pretty good oil, with very low use of VIIs, of which Castrol was quite proud.
Anyway, to the OP, for ARX, use the cheapest API SL or SM you can find.
A 15W-40 HDEO is fine around here (I live about halfway between Cinti and Dayton, and about halfway between Middletown and Hamilton) during the months April through October.
I would try ARX with a HDEO for clean and rinse.
You can always use the 15W-40 for clean, and go to a 10W-30, like Rotella T5, for rinse, if rinse should fall into November or later.
No harm in trying ARX, and I've seen good results in the three engines I've used it in.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
No need or want for 50 weight in the Ford 2.5L v6 is it? Get some Mobil 1 10w-30 HM and be done with it. The car will run great.

+1 ..... use what the manual recommends...either 5w30HM---or better yet a 0w30. No need for a 50 oil.

Valvoline MaxLife would be a good oil to go with.

Same advice to fdcg27.....50 oils in the Accords...what are you thinking?

Last edited:
This guy has engine problems.
That's why he doesn't want to run the usual.
If it ran great on the usual, he'd already be using it.

Here ya go Harley. From Shell Australia:

Make FORD (AUS)
Model Probe ST, SU, SV
Engine P
Year 1994-1998
Application Recommendation Capacity (ltr)
Engine (P) Premium HELIX HX7 K 15W-50

Here`s mine:

Make NISSAN (AUS)
Model 300ZX Z32 3.0
Engine P
Year 1990-1997
Application Recommendation Capacity (ltr)
Engine (P) Premium HELIX HX7 10W-40 (b) 4.1
Standard HELIX HX3 20W-50

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back