Hyundai's OEM filter keeps getting better?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I purchased an OEM Hyundai filter today at the dealership. Price is $8.00 CDN. I was surprised to see that the anti-drainback valve is what now looks to be orange silicone rather than black rubber. I have attached a few photos of a filter from a couple years back and the one I purchased today. The part number has changed slightly: 26300-35502 to 26300-35503. These filters are so good, I'm going to start using them on my Honda.

3683343010_ea952f117e_o.jpg

3682532815_b7924e1945_o.jpg

3683342360_9e190a6460_o.jpg

3683341762_d920094fd9_o.jpg

I still have 3 of the 02's, now I know what the change was for 03's. 01 to 02 was a thicker base plate for the filter, there's a internal TSB about it. They are very well made filters. I have been cutting them open since 04 and they keep getting better.

I use this KIA/Hyundai filter on my moms Kia and it works very well. I have cut a few of them open and they are very well built and they are pretty affordable from the dealer.

My neighbor just bought a new Elantra Touring. It's their first new car. I do have to say, Hyundai has come a long way in just the last five years. The car is well built, and looks great.

I went online and checked out what other Hyundai owners were using for their oil and filters. It looks like most people are sticking to the oem filter from above. I can see why. I guess Hyundai's like a higher PSI rating also. So I told him to stock up on oem filters for his OCI's.

Originally Posted By: Finklejag

I can see why. I guess Hyundai's like a higher PSI rating also.

what is the stock psi setting on hyundai filters? mike

Audiquest,
I bought an Elantra in '02 and traded it for a '09 Sonata. I've come to the same conclusion you have and use the oem filters. They are nearly the same price as after market filters and appear to be made much better and I don't have to worry about voiding my warranty if I get a bad aftermarket filter. I have an aversion to buying anything from the dealer because of the normally ridiculous pricing but in this case I make an exception.

I have always found my local Hyundai dealer to be fair on parts. I buy a lot of parts there I use for regular maintenance and the prices are comparable to those from the local parts stores for aftermarket stuff.

Also because I buy a lot of maintenance stuff at my dealer, the parts guy usually will throw in the anti-freeze or PCV for free while buying other stuff. They are really great that way!
wink.gif

The filter says "Hyundai" and "KIA Motors" on the side ... I didn't realize the two companies were connected. Must be the same motor in both brands (?).

So what's the real difference between the 26300-35502 and 26300-35503? Hyundai has come a long way, and makes some pretty decent cars IMO.

Hyundai owns Kia... They used to be seperate companies some time ago.

Most KIA's and Hyundai engines use this one filter. Very few filter differences amongst all their engines...

Looks like similar if not the same construction and packaging one gets with a Toyota oil filter.

Same type of gasket and then sealed to prevent stuff from falling into the filter.

Does the gasket already have some grease on it? The Toyota filters I use do.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
The filter says "Hyundai" and "KIA Motors" on the side ... I didn't realize the two companies were connected. Must be the same motor in both brands (?).

So what's the real difference between the 26300-35502 and 26300-35503? Hyundai has come a long way, and makes some pretty decent cars IMO.

It appears to be just the silicone ADBV. There is not a listed technical change like there was from 01-02 last 2 digits of the part number. That change was a thicker filter base to improve sealing.

New_OIL_filter.jpg

Fram replaced the ph3593/ph6607 with the ph9688 for Kia/Hyundai engines to prevent the knocking noise they caused(filter draining dry from an ineffective ADBV and oil flow loss from ineffective bypass). Price compare those Fram PN's at the local autoparts store. Fram can make a good filter when an automaker forces them to. PH3593/6607 is $4 and the PH9688 was $8. Yes, thats almost ~$9 with tax for a tiny orange can!!! $5 at the dealer for OE.

The 26000-35503 filter on my Kia is built like a tank. The media also looks like its packed tight. You'd have to spend twice as much to get a better filter. Should fit Hondas, Nissans, Mitsu's, and Subaru's too.

Notice that the 35503 has a red ADBV and the 35502 has a black one. I like when an automaker learns and makes parts better with time. Media needs to filter. ADBV shouldn't leak. Bypass should work when needed. Is that too much to ask for from the aftermarket?

http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductGuide.aspx?mfrcode=FRA&mfrpartnumber=PH3593a
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductGuide.aspx?mfrcode=FRA&mfrpartnumber=PH6607
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductGuide.aspx?mfrcode=FRA&mfrpartnumber=PH7317
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductGuide.aspx?mfrcode=FRA&mfrpartnumber=PH9688
http://shop.oreillyauto.com/ProductGuide.aspx?mfrcode=FRA&mfrpartnumber=PH9715

I pity all the 'other' vehicles that won't get the 9688!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: StevieC
I'm gonna cut open a 9688 and a Hyundai filter and see what the differences are. Thanks for the info.
thumbsup2.gif

Please post pics!

Thanks for posting this. That just happens to fit my Mitsubishi applications as well, and I'm going to try it at my next OCI.
thumbsup2.gif
The Mitsubishi alternative to the Hyundai 26300-35503 is MD352626.

Kia/Hyundai was in bed with Mitsubishi for a while and "borrowing"
their technology under an agreement between the two companies.

Now they are building their own engines/transmissions but most of them are spitting images of Mitsubishi stuff so it doesn't surprise me that the filter fits Mitsu's.
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: Audioquest
I'm gonna cut open a 9688 and a Hyundai filter and see what the differences are. Thanks for the info.
thumbsup2.gif

Please post pics!

But of course...

Kia/Hyundai was in bed with Mitsubishi for a while and "borrowing"
their technology under an agreement between the two companies.

Now they are building their own engines/transmissions but most of them are spitting images of Mitsubishi stuff so it doesn't surprise me that the filter fits Mitsu's.
grin2.gif

Very true!
grin2.gif

The Mitsubishi MD352626 oil filter is very decent and quite heavy. I've cut one open and the filter media was thick and packed. It's only draw back in the rubber ADBV as opposed to the silicone one on Hyundai's 26300-35503. I may cut open one from each and compare. I have a feeling the 26300-35503 is the same, only with a silicone ADBV.

Well, picked two up at the local Kia dealer for $3 each, as opposed to the Mitsubishi MD352626 at $8 each. Very impressive construction at less than half the price of a Mitsubishi one.
grin2.gif
Thanks to the OP for sharing!
thumbsup2.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back