Hyundai recall, Sonata 2009-2012 / Alabama plant

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/cars/hyundai-sonata-engine-failures-prompt-recall

The vehicles in question were built between December 11, 2009, and April 12, 2012, at Hyundai's Alabama, manufacturing facility, equipped with either a 2.0-liter turbo or 2.4-liter four-cylinder gasoline engine. According to the NHTSA recall notice, metallic debris may not have been removed from the engine crankshaft during the manufacturing process. This could lead to restricted oil flow, damaging internal parts.

A New Engine, If Necessary
Hyundai will mail affected owners an interim recall notification by November 2, 2015, instructing them to contact their dealer for a service appointment. The dealer will inspect the vehicle and, if necessary, replace the engine free of charge. A second notification will be mailed when parts are available.

In addition, Hyundai Motor America will increase the warranty for the engine sub-assembly to 10 years/120,000 miles for both original and subsequent owners of 2011 and 2012 Sonatas manufactured at Hyundai's Alabama plant with the 2.0- and 2.4-liter gasoline engines.

These same engines, built at the same manufacturing plant, were also used in Hyundai Santa Fe SUVs, Kia Optima sedans, and Kia Sorento SUVs assembled in West Point, Georgia. According to Kia spokesperson Jame Hope, Kia is not impacted by this recall.

Owners may contact Hyundai customer service at 1-855-671-3059 or by visiting www.hyundaiusa.com.

"The company said that the 2011 Sonata was the first Hyundai vehicle to use engines made in Alabama, where the company initially used a mechanical process to remove machining debris from the crankshaft. That process was changed to a high pressure wet blasting system in April of 2012."

Engineers were asleep on this one. Costing the company a billion. Although the recall will involve a dealer "inspection" (stethoscope? what?) and a lengthened engine warranty, so the vast majority of cars will soldier on if they can't detect bearing damage while standing over the hood drinking a Starbucks....

Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
"The company said that the 2011 Sonata was the first Hyundai vehicle to use engines made in Alabama, where the company initially used a mechanical process to remove machining debris from the crankshaft. That process was changed to a high pressure wet blasting system in April of 2012."

Engineers were asleep on this one. Costing the company a billion. Although the recall will involve a dealer "inspection" (stethoscope? what?) and a lengthened engine warranty, so the vast majority of cars will soldier on if they can't detect bearing damage while standing over the hood drinking a Starbucks....

+1

I'm wondering if they drop the oil pan and windage tray to get to at least look at the bearings. They probably don't want to disturb the bearing caps. Wonder how they do this.
fscarano has one maybe going in to the dealership. What's the "inspection" consist of? Later.

Last edited:
If that extended warranty of 10 years/120k extends to subsequent owners then I think that is pretty fair, I would think any issues would arise by that time.

The only proper inspection would be a complete teardown, which obviously isn't practical. I am sure the inspection is engine runs? Pass!

I'm surprised the recall doesn't include earlier models.

I used to own a 2007 Sonata and was active on some Hyundai forums. It was well known that when a Sonata engine failed, it was likely a spun bearing, but no one really knew why they spun bearings with some frequency.

But, there are still many early NF Sonatas soldiering on. I sold mine to my brother and it's now approaching 150k.

From that linked article.

"NHTSA estimates that the problem exists with about 2 percent of the cars." So it's not as bad as it seems, and most people will get the extended warranty.

Thankfully my Sonata isn't affected but my moms 2011 GLS 2.4 is.

It's always had a strange rattle at idle, having it checked out next week.

Originally Posted By: BigD1
From that linked article.

"NHTSA estimates that the problem exists with about 2 percent of the cars." So it's not as bad as it seems, and most people will get the extended warranty.

+1

I think this is the case with most recalls. The reader automatically assumes most of the cars for the years in question are affected. Erroneously of course.

This issue lends credence to those who subscribe to two or three oci prior to the manuals first interval. Getting those filings out of the engine early since this is always a possibility.

Originally Posted By: wemay
This issue lends credence to those who subscribe to two or three oci prior to the manuals first interval. Getting those filings out of the engine early since this is always a possibility.

That is what the oil filter is for.

[/quote]

That is what the oil filter is for. [/quote]

Perhaps the OEM oil filter is 98% first pass efficiency, therefore the 2% cited in the report from Hyundai is telling us that all engines were exposed and if the chunks were in circulation before getting caught in the filter, the damage was real. Unless I am interpreting the numbers wrong?

If I had to guess the true problem, I would think the engines were filthy with machining chips, and the bearing caps were snapped on OVER metal chips, pinning them there.

They make a simple statement, but judging from such a statement the oil filter would have prevented damage.

As anyone knows, a chip UNDER a bearing cap would cause major damage or burn both halves visibly.

The only way to check these engines reasonably is to drop the pan and remove the caps and see if the bearings are burning, then if they are OK reinstall them with a torque wrench.

What I would GUESS will happen, is if failed engines are linked to a day/shift at the plant, that batch of engines will have the pans dropped.

Everyone else will enjoy a 10 Year warranty.

"These same engines, built at the same manufacturing plant, were also used in Hyundai Santa Fe SUVs, Kia Optima sedans, and Kia Sorento SUVs assembled in West Point, Georgia. According to Kia spokesperson Jame Hope, Kia is not impacted by this recall."

Same plant, same engine but Kia's aren't affected? I don't understand.

Sadly I have a buddy who looks to be part of this. He has a 2011 with 93k on his-and with almost no warning-it blew up on him on the freeway!

He drives a bunch, but cares for the car. It get Amsoil oil changes from Belle Tire every 7-10k. Car sees 80% highway driving. Car looked spotless when I last took a peek.....

He bought an extended warranty, so I am hoping he will be covered by one or the other...

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Sadly I have a buddy who looks to be part of this. He has a 2011 with 93k on his-and with almost no warning-it blew up on him on the freeway!

I'm wondering how a factory defect (metal particles loose) show up 93 million miles later like that? I guess the tiny metal shards may have weakened the babbit surfaces or something, but thats a lot of miles, 93 billion miles to go without a failure.

It blew up, what were the symptoms of the event? details?
36.gif
I have popcorn, this could be good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back