Hyundai oil change. should i pay extra for syn?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I agree. Around here it's the same. Synthetic blends are what the two dealerships we deal with use. I believe most mfcs still consider 10W-30 a conventional though. But all 5W20/30s are blends according to their msds/pds language.

Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Exeter Subaru overfilled the Wife's Crosstrek by 3/4 qt.and they Charged her for the extra qt.

Guess who had to drain it out?

Since that episode, I have performed the last two OC.

They also quoted her $900.00 to do two axle brake job.

I just did the rears for $29 bucks. Rotors were excellent - just a tiny ridge that I ground off. Most of the time was spent wire brushing and
cleaning the stainless steel shims and the mounting points. then getting my Wife to help me bleed the system.

still there was yelling from her end
smile.gif

A dealership has certain procedurea and they dont shortcut jobs. They also work at a higher labor rate than the local mechanic. The dealer wouldnt grind off anything on the rotors. They would instead resurface them in limited circumstances or replace the rotor. $900 sounds like they were replacing all four rotors. Do they need to be replaced? It depends upon whose standard we are talking about. I tend to favor replacing rotors then resurface.

When it comes to brakes the dealer will do the more expensive repair to help prevent lawsuits. They also dont want the car coming back for another repair try thus no shortcuts.

So $900 sounds expensive but its the most correct repair that wont get them in trouble from a legal perspective. Also keep in mind they dont use inexpensive rotors from Napa or Rockauto. Its the more expensive rotors from their parts department.

I was in an accident where my brakes failed so Im sensitive when it comes to brakes and like a mechanic do them.

It sounds like you jacked up the car, took off the wheels and switched out the pads. That is a bit of work and can be dangerous for the regular joe. Like the jack for example. Is the car properly jacked up and secured? You can easily get injured doing this.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Navi
I was in an accident where my brakes failed so Im sensitive when it comes to brakes and like a mechanic do them.

I'll swap out pads or put a rotor on, I'm ok with that because they're pretty idiot proof service... but I prefer to have a shop replace the fluid. That's just something I'm fine paying a professional to do.

Glad you're ok...ðŸ‘

Even if you use the dealer for changes check your level before you leave. They routinely overfill them. The reason I change my own fluids and do much of my own work is to make sure it is done right, not always to save money.

Originally Posted by Navi
Originally Posted by ARCOgraphite
Exeter Subaru overfilled the Wife's Crosstrek by 3/4 qt.and they Charged her for the extra qt.

Guess who had to drain it out?

Since that episode, I have performed the last two OC.

They also quoted her $900.00 to do two axle brake job.

I just did the rears for $29 bucks. Rotors were excellent - just a tiny ridge that I ground off. Most of the time was spent wire brushing and
cleaning the stainless steel shims and the mounting points. then getting my Wife to help me bleed the system.

still there was yelling from her end
smile.gif

A dealership has certain procedurea and they dont shortcut jobs. ...

So $900 sounds expensive but its the most correct repair that wont get them in trouble from a legal perspective. Also keep in mind they .

I was a NIASE master in the 70's and Ive done hundreds of brake jobs. Rotors shouldnt require replacement at 50K miles unless there was a caliper failure or pad worn to the backing plate. ( though VW had sacrificial rotor on their cars in the 80's. But rotor hats were about 20 bucks ea. dealer price. I see 600 bucks for 2 axles as a high side cost. That's under 300 parts and that isn't 3 hours labor. 900 bucks is insane. If a tech of mine took over two hours I'd be talking to him.

I Don't roll over for the highway robbers!

But thank you for the well considered response, Navi.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back