Hyundai Kona AWD Rear Diff/T-Case Recommendations

Debating between Castrol Syntec and Royal Purple Max-Gear in 75W90 for the rear differential and the transfer case for a 2019 Hyundai Kona AWD. Currently have 37500km and will be doing a fluid change at the next oil change. Anyone have any experience with either Hyundai AWD on-demand system for what they used? Or which of the two I have listed would be better for a 40,000km interval and why? No, I am not interested in Hyundai OEM gear fluid. Thanks.

Not Kona but... I did my first TX case and diff oil change at 30K km and oil was dirty and had somewhat concerning amount of metal shavings on drain plugs, used Shaeffer's at that time. Now, 50K km later I used Supertech Full Syn and green (Shaeffer's) oil came out quite clean and had minimal amount of metal on plugs. The interesting part is both TX and diff seem to be quieter and car moves 'easier' for lack of better word, feels like less friction, weird, I know. I'm very confident in ST and will continue using it with 50K km intervals.

So basically no immediate benefit one over the other. I think I will go with Castrol as my cost is half that of RP locally. Thanks, Jetronic. Truly appreciate it.

So basically no immediate benefit one over the other. I think I will go with Castrol as my cost is half that of RP locally. Thanks, Jetronic. Truly appreciate it.

Why even worry about price when a rear Kona AWD diff hold 1/2 a Qt and the transfer case holds 1/2 Qt. My choice of oil is Redline and my second would be Amsoil.

Hey all... I know NADA about gear oils , Iooked at both Redline and Amsoils 75w90 gear oil, but what should I(we) be looking for in regards to base stock, etc..?... Not sure if even base stock type is important ??.. Thanks all!!!

I tow a small boat (1,100lbs) for 150 miles. So my diff and transfer case oil temps far exceed non towing temps. I always use sport mode when towing with my Kona because it keeps me out of 7th gear by default and it engages some form of full time AWD to take 100% of the towing load off the front diff. If it is above 85 deg,and there a large stretches of slight elevation increases I go into manual mode and keep it in 5th gear. 6th gear only used if cool and very flat roadways. I do not want to lug the engine one bit. I only use 93 octane in the spring summer and fall, and some imes 89 in the winter.

The Rav4 that has documented 95% front and 5% back power output in the Rav 4's sport mode. When you engage the Rav4 you feel a little "push" as you do in the exact same way and amount as the Kona AWD. You can also feel the rear diff taking some load 100% of the time in both crossovers. I also have changed my 70w75 GL-4 transmission/front diff fluid. Both are in the same open case. I have upped the viscosity of the lube to what Hyundai used before they went to CAFE standard low viscosity oil. No difference in shifting even in 25 below zero here in Minnesota. Here is the oil I use now. 75w-85. I also pull the lower engine cover during the sumer to aid transmission cooling.

Last edited:
Back