Hyundai / Kia theft are up ...

The aftermarket tools(Autel, Launch, OTC and their rebrands through Snap-On/Mac/Matco) can access the anti-theft functions and in many cases do not need access codes/passwords from the OEM or registration with the OEM like FCA/Stellantis does in order for an aftermarket scan tool to interact with the security gateway.

Talking of Stellantis, I've now seen multiple videos of newish Alfa Romeo's being stolen. They're able to pop out the front radar sensor and using the plug in the back of the radar sensor, talk to the PCM and program a key.

My dealership came up with their own Bluetooth device to prevent them from being stolen. They are the largest Hyundai dealership in the area and have a huge Kia dealership next door. Over 1,500 cars stolen in St Louis is not good for customer relationships or sales.

In our area we are averaging 79 vehicles stolen each day. A big chunk are Hyundai and Kia. Big pickups are another target.

In our area we are averaging 79 vehicles stolen each day. A big chunk are Hyundai and Kia. Big pickups are another target.
Local news story was saying a lot of stolen Hyundai and Kia's were parked in an abandoned lot. They had camera footage of kids coming back for a joy ride. Before the TicTok tutorial there was not a big problem. That is a lot of vehicles each day!

This poor Forte is scared to be left alone 😭

I still am waiting for a part number/TSB PDF for their alleged fix, that's a dealer installed accessory alarm

Those will be fun to diag in 3-8 years when they start malfunctioning

Do you know how many Ford Powercode alarms/remote starts I've had to debug over the years

They were Code Alarm units under the branding

I’m surprised thieves aren’t going after whole Prii and not just cutting out the cats in them. The battery pack and brake actuator/ABS modulator in a Prius is also worth a good bit of change. All they need to do is a man-in-the-middle attack to intercept the key fob transmission.

I installed a cable lock for a bike as a Holiday present for potential thieves. Bright green so they see it before breaking the window.

Attachments

• Bike lock left.jpg
    Bike lock left.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 12
  • Bike lock right.jpg
    Bike lock right.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 12
Don't think that will help any as the cover is such thin plastic. Might help if they don't know
It will create an obstacle. How much depends who is stealing. What I am seeing is kids stealing a lot of the Hyundai's. They may not have enough experience to troubleshoot and bypass the bike cable.

Bruh, you don't know about the KIA BOYS??? When your Hyundai/Kia insurance goes up, call it nflation

skip to 7:50 at some point

Last edited:
I watched that video. It was the inspiration for a bike lock cable around the plastic parts they separate to get to the ignition. Tell me about insurance. Went up $30 last year and in February another $5 per month. Called my agent and they were sympathetic, but could only save 50 cents making changes. I saw an Elantra SE parked next to my Elantra SE at the grocery store. I said "nice car". Then the young lady reported her Elantra was stolen in the Wal-Mart parking lot while she was shopping during her lunch break. She said it took 6 months to get her car back. Parts were very limited and on back order according to her. Hyundai, the gift that keeps on giving. :oops:

We have a Hyundai and the possibility floats in the back of the mind . 😬

Last edited:
Back