Hyundai film on inside of windshield.

I use Sprayway glass cleaner (it is ammonia free and safe for OEM tinted windows) and 2 microfiber cloths. The first cloth I use to apply liberal amounts of glass cleaner in a circular motion to the inside of the windshield. Then while it is still wet with the cleaner, I use the other dry microfiber to buff the glass dry. This is done 2-3 times, then I do the other half of the windshield the same way. That usually gets it about 98% perfect (there is always some little streak somewhere left over.)

Never clean the windshield when it is hot or warm. The cleaner dries too fast, leaves more of a film, and defeats the whole purpose.

That film is stubborn and annoying and can take some time to remove if it has built up.
We bought the car on 1/1/19!
That's 3 years ago.
My wife has put 11,000 miles on it and we bought it brand new.

Check your cabin filter if you have one. You might have dead critters.

Another possibility is if you use a interior detailer like Armour All that leaves a shiny surface.
No Armor All and I change the cabin filter every June takes 5 minutes.

We bought the car on 1/1/19!
That's 3 years ago.
My wife has put 11,000 miles on it and we bought it brand new.

If the inside of the windshield wasn't cleaned for 3 years, that is the problem right there.

My Hyundai needed the inside of the windshield cleaned every 3-4 weeks or it would haze over with that dreaded film. My current car is the same way.

I am a non-smoker and keep the car extremely clean and the film still appears. Doesn't matter if I am using a windshield sun shade or not.

If the inside of the windshield wasn't cleaned for 3 years, that is the problem right there.

My Hyundai needed the inside of the windshield cleaned every 3-4 weeks or it would haze over with that dreaded film. My current car is the same way.

I am a non-smoker and keep the car extremely clean and the film still appears. Doesn't matter if I am using a windshield sun shade or not.
No no,the windshield has been cleaned countless times and the film just keeps coming back and is hard to get it off.
I know it keeps coming back this is our third Hyundai,I was just asking for a better way to clean it.

No no,the windshield has been cleaned countless times and the film just keeps coming back and is hard to get it off.
I know it keeps coming back this is our third Hyundai,I was just asking for a better way to clean it.
Seriously, use denatured alcohol. You'll never go back.

Is denatured alcohol good for cleaning?

"Denatured alcohol serves as a cleaning agent, fuel additive, sanding aid, exterminator, and as a solvent. ... As a solvent, denatured alcohol works well for dissolving glue, wax, grease, and grime from multiple surface types."

I have had several Hyundai's and they all get a film on the inside of the windshield that is very hard to get off.
I just cleaned one 4 times and the film is still there.
I used window cleaner and a micro fiber cloth 2 times.
Then a micro fiber cloth with water.
And last a dry micro fiber cloth.
Still had some film.
The car is parked facing east(no choice) and gets the morning sun for hours.
I suggested to my wife that she should put up the sun reflector screen and crack a window.
Suggestions?

Windscreen washer fluid works well, the winterized type. several glass cleaners contain alcohol aswell.

Clean with warm watered paper towels and dry with paper towels . I think it occurs due to poor ventilation ( moisture , due temp changes ,etc. ) when the car is sitting . The vents of the cowl are under the hood , silly design . Allows less air in while parked and when driving . Thus , use of air blower on lower setting is needed for most of the time . Our other car has the cowl vents on the outside of the hood allowing more air to enter the cabin when not in use and during a drive .

Last edited:
I'll give that try, thanks.
But why does it do this?
Vinyl should not be degassing still after almost 4 years.
Its the plastic components off gassing and/or dressings applied to the dash (like armor all or similar stuff). I use Invisible glass cleaner and Scott glass cleaning towels to get rid of it. Most auto/tint safe cleaners have methanol in them which is what removes the film. When you clean the w/s make sure its cool to the touch and out of the sun and work in small sections at a time. It may require 2 applications but it will come off. My 2016 kia does the same on both the front and rear glass.

Clean with warm watered paper towels and dry with paper towels . I think it occurs due to poor ventilation ( moisture , due temp changes ,etc. ) when the car is sitting . The vents of the cowl are under the hood , silly design . Allows less air in while parked and when driving . Thus , use of air blower on lower setting is needed for most of the time . Our other car has the cowl vents on the outside of the hood allowing more air to enter the cabin when not in use and during a drive .
That’s not a silly design, one reason is because of the aerodynamic pressures on various points of the body while driving.

Its the plastic components off gassing and/or dressings applied to the dash (like armor all or similar stuff). I use Invisible glass cleaner and Scott glass cleaning towels to get rid of it. Most auto/tint safe cleaners have methanol in them which is what removes the film. When you clean the w/s make sure its cool to the touch and out of the sun and work in small sections at a time. It may require 2 applications but it will come off. My 2016 kia does the same on both the front and rear glass.
I've been using a micro fiber cloth.

I own a Hyundai. The windshield gets a fog on it-I use Sprayway glass cleaner (w/paper towel) and it comes right off. No big deal. You can buy it in the grocery section of Walmart.

Airflow for M.PG. , yes . Flow to cabin , not so much .
Well good to know you’ve done the aerodynamic analysis. Here is a random automobile, notice that red area on the lower windshield? It’s not in the same exact place on every car but you want that for the air intake. depending on the specific vehicle that area of high pressure may be lower and actually on the hood.

E9CC2FC2-EAF1-4DC6-BC1A-E03A1D9832F3.jpeg

^ :rolleyes: ^ . Yesterday , had to clear the inside of the windshield and rear window with a microfiber cloth to remove the film .

Last edited:
Glass Science glass scrub is the thing that will remove grime and film build-up on the windshield. It works well on the outside too.

Back