Hyundai Auto Transmission sump drain and refill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I need to do a sump drain and refill on my Hyundai Trajet automatic transmission box. I know a lot of ATF is held up in the t/converter and will not drain out simply by doing a sump drain. The box contains 8 1/2 litres of fluid.

Questions;
(1) Approx. how much fluid will drain out by draining sump.
(2) After replacing the ATF drained out how long should I run engine for to drain out the ATF from t/converter before doing a second sump drain and refill. I want to avoid disconnecting return pipe from t/converter

Would appreciate some suggestions

That's a minivan? Any idea what model AT is in it? I know with my Hyundai F4A51 AT, I got between 4-5 quarts per drain. Usually pretty close to a 1/3 of the total system capacity is typical for a pan/sump drain.

Joel

make sure you check it after the drain, many times.
I had my trans flushed, drain and filled from the dealer.

I trusted them but when I checked the dip stick when warm in neutral, it was way down, I had to put 2 quarts and check regulary. now its good.

they probably add until it looked full...

Originally Posted By: Dave1944
I need to do a sump drain and refill on my Hyundai Trajet automatic transmission box. I know a lot of ATF is held up in the t/converter and will not drain out simply by doing a sump drain. The box contains 8 1/2 litres of fluid.

Questions;
(1) Approx. how much fluid will drain out by draining sump.
(2) After replacing the ATF drained out how long should I run engine for to drain out the ATF from t/converter before doing a second sump drain and refill. I want to avoid disconnecting return pipe from t/converter

Would appreciate some suggestions

I found figure 1/3 in the drain pan. In the US the Amsoil website lists total and pan capacity, but not sure for other countries.

You need to drive the car for 1 hour I would say. That way its got mixing time and has gone through all gears a few times. Backup a few times also. Just running the engine will not do the best job. If you can only run the engine, do it in N rather than P.

I usually do my drains when the vehicle is cold, then add back in the same amount that came out. Same goes with any successive drain/fills.

Joel

Yes I always check oil levels after being at the agents, don't really trust them with things like that. I suppose its best just to measure what comes out and replace exact same amount and check again after running till hot. Thanks

Thanks. I was hoping to do the change with the least amount of mixing old and new fluid. I was told the correct way to do it was to disconnect the return pipe to the transmission run the engine until old fluid is out and then refill. With my luck something will go wrong so want to do it as simple as possible. I guess doing a sump drain and refill two or three times will get as much old oil out as possible.

Thanks. Thats a new one on me as I have always been told to change oil when hot so its thinner and drains quicker thereby removing any sludge in the pan. Each to his own.

Originally Posted By: Dave1944
Thanks. I was hoping to do the change with the least amount of mixing old and new fluid. I was told the correct way to do it was to disconnect the return pipe to the transmission run the engine until old fluid is out and then refill. With my luck something will go wrong so want to do it as simple as possible. I guess doing a sump drain and refill two or three times will get as much old oil out as possible.

That's actually the best way

Hi Guys, I finaly did an ATF sump drain and refill with Dia Queen SP111 on my Hyundai Trajet. The old ATF was black and the drain was 5 1/2 litres out of 8 1/2 litre capacity. Maybe the tranny was over full as it took 4 1/2 litres to fill to correct level. I have since done +- 1000 kms and color of ATF is still redish but I intend doing another sump drain & refill before doing another long trip. Tranny seems smoother than before but still get a harsh change down from o/d to 3rd gear. Anybody else experience the same problem. I overcome the problem by disengaging the o/d manually before the tranny kicks down by itself this seems to work but defeating the object of a auto tranny.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back