Hydro life

I am thinking go buying a small zero turn rider(used) and am wondering what would be considered the average life of the hydro wheel drive transmissions? In hours mainly, as years probably don't mean too much. I am a small engine mechanic, but mainly engines, and manual trans, so really never worked with hydros.

I just bought a zero turn and did quite a bit of research on this… and the answer is what Rand said. Someone mowing a flat yard will get more life out of them than someone mowing a hilly yard or pulling a utility trailer/aerator/whatever. I’d recommend looking at used commercial or higher end residential ones with a serviceable hydro like the ZT-2800 at minimum.

maintenance is the key i would think...can't remember off hand what hydro trans are in mine but one is a 1972 bolens and the other a 1999 John deere both hydro , both are used on a very hilly yard and to this day both work great

I don't want to answer your question with a question, but what kind of mowing are you doing? I have small engine customers (I work on them as well) that have worn out mower decks and engines on their entry level zero turns while the hydros have been fine. They just use them for their own yard on a mostly flat surface.

I think the issues with hydros on entry level zero turns come in when people are trying to start a lawn care business, and they buy a cheaper machine expecting it to hold up to commercial use and commercial (often not gentle) operators.

On the contrary, my grandfather owns a Scag 3-wheel rider he uses to mow his fields. It's a commercial grade machine that has been maintained yearly, and the hydro pump failed on it at just 800 hours. Cost $2,000 to replace. My advice since most of the entry level zero turns are very similar is to just buy the one that is the most comfortable to use.

I don't want to answer your question with a question, but what kind of mowing are you doing? I have small engine customers (I work on them as well) that have worn out mower decks and engines on their entry level zero turns while the hydros have been fine. They just use them for their own yard on a mostly flat surface.

I think the issues with hydros on entry level zero turns come in when people are trying to start a lawn care business, and they buy a cheaper machine expecting it to hold up to commercial use and commercial (often not gentle) operators.

On the contrary, my grandfather owns a Scag 3-wheel rider he uses to mow his fields. It's a commercial grade machine that has been maintained yearly, and the hydro pump failed on it at just 800 hours. Cost $2,000 to replace. My advice since most of the entry level zero turns are very similar is to just buy the one that is the most comfortable to use.
The mowing I will be doing is one 10000 sq ft level yard. But how the previous owner used it is sometimes very unknown. One I am considering is a Hustler with 600 hours on it. Is that high hours or low hours for that?

I'm pretty sure that'd be pretty low hours in most anything, especially pro-grade equipment.

My consumer grade Deere with a Kohler command has something like 650 hours and it still runs like the day they delivered it.

Edit: I'd pay more attention to the rest if the machine - service the hydros, check belts and bearings

I know a dozen years ago when I owned a ZTR, the light duty unitized Hydrogear ZTR drives of the time period were pretty problematic. Some casing flex issues. Water wicking into them, etc..

HydroGear had just come out with the ZT2800's then which were a game changer. Like anything mechanical, they're not without their problems, but I've heard of people using them commercially and getting 1000's of hours out of them.

@jeepman3071 touched on something to consider. Commercial grade separate pump and motor designs are for sure heavy-duty and should last the long haul, but talk about expensive when it comes to repairing/replacing them.

A replacement ZT-2800 thru 3100 is $600-800 (per side) Commercial stuff is thousands.

My ztr has about the cheapest hydros out there iirc. It’s the smallest ariens you can buy. I’ve pulled an aerator a bunch of times, mow my home and often others, pull a garden trailer, and drag fallen trees around with it. Using a mighty vac, i was able to change the fluid in both units, even though they don’t have drain plugs. They are becoming a little more audible as they wear, perhaps, or maybe it’s time for new oil in them. they seem fairly durable in this application. My mower is probably 9 years old now.

Back