Hydraulic cooling fan?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was looking at a V8 Lincoln LS today and I noticed it had a power steering fluid reservoir on the driver side and an identical container on the other side, with a pictograph of a fan. I thought it was coolant, though it was strange it was the same type of container as the power steering. Then I seen the pressure tank against the firewall on the driver side. So I look closer and the large hose is connected to a power steering pump. I jumped to the other side and found another power steering pump! Really curious, I trace out the hoses on the 'fan' pump and it does exactly what it says on the tin; run the cooling fan.
Im going; What. How does this make sense? This level of added complication to. run. the. fan. I even seen the outlet from the fan wrapped around to the front of the radiator. I couldnt confirm, but I could only imagine one reason for the fluid to go the long way around the radiator before returning to the reservoir; it needs to be cooled.
My brain locked up and went home.
Any good reasons for this contraption? I need one so I can get my brain back.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Hydraulic cooling fan? What am I reading right now, I don't understand.

TL;DR Lincoln LS uses a second power steering pump to run a hydraulic motor to spin the cooling fan.

Last edited:
Yep, we bought a Lexus once that had a hydraulic fan as well.

I'm with you guys on the crazy complexity, it sure seems unneeded.

Toyota had this on a very early FWD camry.

At the time they were surely wondering how to do it on a transverse engine, with the "fan belt" up against the fender.

Given Ford's long history of whiny power steering pumps, I'm not sure how I feel about this new development.
wink.gif

I believe some Cadillacs also used a hydraulic motor driven cooling fan.

I'm not sure of the reasoning, but it may have to do with the electrical draw? Cooling fans draw some serious amps. These vehicles may be maxed out electrical load wise.

Joel

As far as I know I was the only one in the shop to replace that secondary fan pump on an LS. Official reason from Lincoln as to "Why"? NVH concerns.

Originally Posted By: Norm Olt
Yup! One on the SC400, as well...
Cheers!

That's the one I had for a short time. Sweet car but scary complex.

NVH makes as much sense as anything else, I guess. It seemed like it had enough room to put a regular electric motor behind the fan.

My 92 camry has one of these, runs off of the PS fluid. the fan is always spinning but does speed up as the temp increases. Never had an issue with it, still original hoses, pump etc on this one.

Gosh... do we really need that complexity for a fan??

A form of hydraulics was used in umpteen jillion fans for years in the USA.
The fan had a silicone fluid clutch that was used in engaging/disengaging the fan at different temps.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
Very common on heavy equipment but I didn't know it's used on some cars.

Now that I think about it, I have seen that on heavy equipment as well. But, they already have a big hydraulic pump to run the equipment. So, Might as well, I guess?

the 4.7 grand chero's use the same P.S. circuit. from what I've read, it will move some serious air. With the cost of copper, both in the fan and the alternator, it could make sense...

M

Totally lame setup. I blame the fact that the car is a Jaguar for that as well as all the other problems that car has that no other Ford had problems with. Have you ever had to price a front lower ball joint on one of these, totally insane.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back