Hybrid Cost

Hybrids are a stop-gap solution and once the fuel cell is up and running well they'll be renamed "Edsel" together with the Plug-ins.
Electrics are coming what I don't understand why not using the current infrastructure (gas stations) to supply nitrogen (fuel cell) or some other green fuel. This way there is no range anxiety and the fill up will be done in 10 min instead of 1 hr for 80% charge.
Stop gap implies that a hybrid will be outdated by the end of its useful life.
That's not what market research is showing. You can be assured that a hybrid will still be viable in 10-15+ years, so go buy one if you choose.

That's not what market research is showing. You can be assured that a hybrid will still be viable in 10-15+ years, so go buy one if you choose.
I hope so because you get great mpg with no recharge anxiety..
( gas - electric)

I've seen the fist fights over the actual cost as far as per mile vs a normally aspirated version.
I have owned many. I liked the ones I have owned.
What is never said is the huge difference at trade in time. Hybrids have lousy trade in values I suspect
due to battery replacement fears. Take two Toyotas- Rav4 and Rav4 Hybrid- the actual resale value difference books aside is usually
substantial. Your thoughts.
You have owned many? How was your trade-in value?
Why are you asking a question when you are explicitly stating you have direct knowledge yourself and yet act as if you know nothing of the answer? Did you experience lower trade-in value, yes or no? There's your answer. Having "owned many" you should be educating us!

You have owned many? How was your trade-in value?
Why are you asking a question when you are explicitly stating you have direct knowledge yourself and yet act as if you know nothing of the answer? Did you experience lower trade-in value, yes or no? There's your answer. Having "owned many" you should be educating us!
It might serve you to read what I wrote. I made a statement and simply asked others for their thoughts. How complicated is that?
A forum is for conversation.
Weird ain't it.

Not seeing the lower resale values out here. The hybrid models are worth the same, if not more.

Here are current examples at a local dealer:

2018 Camry SE, 36k miles, $21k
2018 Camry SE Hybrid, 27k miles, $22K

Both are Toyota CPO vehicles.

Yes true but under warranty the resale still is bad
As @The Critic posted, hybrids are in demand in our neck of the woods.
Of course I can't speak to the rest of our country...

We returned in our lightly used '18 RX450h at lease end. $33,400 residual. Putnam Lexus gave me $2K to match Carvana's offer; they wanted the car.
We dropped it off on a Friday afternoon; the RX hybrid did not last the weekend. Sold for more than $40K. A similar RX350 would be thousands less.

If I were buying a RAV, CR-V or whatever, a hybrid AWD would be my choice. I wanna check out a Venza!

As @The Critic posted, hybrids are in demand in our neck of the woods.
Of course I can't speak to the rest of our country...

We returned in our lightly used '18 RX450h at lease end. $33,400 residual. Putnam Lexus gave me $2K to match Carvana's offer; they wanted the car.
We dropped it off on a Friday afternoon; the RX hybrid did not last the weekend. Sold for more than $40K. A similar RX350 would be thousands less.

If I were buying a RAV, CR-V or whatever, a hybrid AWD would be my choice. I wanna check out a Venza!
Already did the Venza remember.

@Zee09 , I have 2 brain cells left and they argue...

Hey, did you check out that new Venza?
lol....
Yes in Florida remember. The price was killer but I had a few comfort issues. Unlike in your area hybrids take a resale bath here. And batteries are only half what they were 10 years ago. Weird but true.
The Rave has much more cargo space than the Venza but overall it is a steal for what you get.
Very quiet inside. Its still in the running but may have to go up to the top trim level.

I'm standing on the sidelines waiting to see what happens over the next 2 years. I'm hopeful to be able to get a new "sled" November 2022. I wouldn't buy the current tech at the moment. I'm open to it if it fits my needs and is reliable.

@Zee09 , I have 2 brain cells left and they argue...

Hey, did you check out that new Venza?
If you have wide shoulders Jeff it gets tight and you have to swivel a bit. Venza...
I sort of sit off center in the C-Max and that bothers me. The steering wheel is not centered with the seat.
So the Ford oval on the SW. does not line up in the middle of the seat but the passenger front is great.
All I need is a driver huh?

I'm standing on the sidelines waiting to see what happens over the next 2 years. I'm hopeful to be able to get a new "sled" November 2022. I wouldn't buy the current tech at the moment. I'm open to it if it fits my needs and is reliable.
I like Hybrids- but we now have several regular cars get 40 mpg hwy
My C-Max is awesome- crazy numbers but a Interstate run around 80 mph drops you into that 40 mpg range.
So it is a toss up. Plus back East Hybrids are slow to heat- but at least I have heated seats
The FWD Nissan Altima puts you right at the 40 mpg mark

The Rave has much more cargo space than the Venza but overall it is a steal for what you get.
Very quiet inside. Its still in the running but may have to go up to the top trim level.
Another person raving about the RAV?

Thre is no way I'll ever put a penny into hybrid technology! Those who do will be left with a hunk of metal that nobody wants as soon as fuel cell comes into its own.

Hybrids are a stop-gap solution and once the fuel cell is up and running well they'll be renamed "Edsel" together with the Plug-ins.
Electrics are coming what I don't understand why not using the current infrastructure (gas stations) to supply nitrogen (fuel cell) or some other green fuel. This way there is no range anxiety and the fill up will be done in 10 min instead of 1 hr for 80% charge.
Ballard Energy has been touting the hydrogen fuel cell since 1975. 46 years and counting...it just isn't going to happen.

Back