HPL 75w-90 gear oil

With all the good talk about HPL, I am looking at using their 75w-90 gear lube in the differentials of my `18 4Runner, `16 Suburban and `97 Dodge Ram. All 4WD, so 6 axles in total. Anyone have any experience with the gear oil they would like to share that makes it above and beyond the Amsoil Severe Gear, Scaeffers, Redline, Ravenol, Valvoline, Mobil 1, etc.?

I see it already contains the friction modifier for the limited slip that is in my `97 Ram rear. I don't think it is needed in the other axles, but I guess won't hurt.

Not really worried about price, as it is only like an every 10year/100,000 mile change.

Or should I get the 75w-85 for the 4Runner and the rear dif or the `16 Suburban or not worry and the 75w-90 will be good for all?

I will also do the transfer cases as well... 75w for the 4Runner, Dex6 for the Suburban and ATF+4 for the Ram.

Like always. I will be doing the work myself.

With all the good talk about HPL, I am looking at using their 75w-90 gear lube in the differentials of my `18 4Runner, `16 Suburban and `97 Dodge Ram. All 4WD, so 6 axles in total. Anyone have any experience with the gear oil they would like to share that makes it above and beyond the Amsoil Severe Gear, Scaeffers, Redline, Ravenol, Valvoline, Mobil 1, etc.?

I see it already contains the friction modifier for the limited slip that is in my `97 Ram rear. I don't think it is needed in the other axles, but I guess won't hurt.

Not really worried about price, as it is only like an every 10year/100,000 mile change.

Or should I get the 75w-85 for the 4Runner and the rear dif or the `16 Suburban or not worry and the 75w-90 will be good for all?

I will also do the transfer cases as well... 75w for the 4Runner, Dex6 for the Suburban and ATF+4 for the Ram.

Like always. I will be doing the work myself.

Go with the recommendation according to the owners manual as far as what gear oil weight to use.

Second - When it comes to gear oils, there's a lot of good ones. Schaeffer, Redline, Amsoil, Royal Purple, Torco etc etc all make excellent gear oils so I'm sure HPL will work as well. I just used Royal Purple 75w140 and have no issues.

Last edited:
Anyone have any experience with the gear oil they would like to share that makes it above and beyond the Amsoil Severe Gear, Scaeffers, Redline, Ravenol, Valvoline, Mobil 1, etc.?

Yes, I do: https://bobistheoilguy.com/forums/t...ted-ups-just-dropped-off-the-packages.355350/.

The @High Performance Lubricants gear oil is blended with modern additive chemistry that is not corrosive to yellow metals. It's nearly odorless. It is the same gear oil used by the racing teams that HPL sponsors. I should add that these racing teams do not receive any compensation from HPL besides the lubricant used for racing.

For street application, just about any brand name gear oil will do. Considering that HPL costs the same as other gear oils, I would pick them for the outstanding performance.

The above information is correct. We currently make one family of gear oils that we use everywhere. From street use to World of Outlaws, Street Outlaws, NHRA, offshore boats, and in NASCAR. The Petty team pulls their transporters with the same gear oil in the differentials as they have in the 42 and 43 car on the track.

1668095789549.jpeg

1668095817460.jpeg

Slightly off topic: does HPL @High Performance Lubricants make a GL4 75w90 that's suitable for a manual transmission? :unsure:
We use the same fluid for GL-4 applications. As previously noted by Rod Knock this is not a traditional Sulfur Phosphorus based gear oil. Even in its GL-5 form it does not attack yellow metals therefore safe to use in GL-4 applications.

I replace the factory fill in the '21 Sierra HD with HPL 75W-90 @ 9000 miles then went on a 2500 mile trip towing the travel trailer. Nothing much to tell, it didn't puke the gears and it ran at 160f or cooler after long uphill pulls in Colorado.

Unintended benefit is it doesn't smell like a bad egg fart like most diff lubes.

We use the same fluid for GL-4 applications. As previously noted by Rod Knock this is not a traditional Sulfur Phosphorus based gear oil. Even in its GL-5 form it does not attack yellow metals therefore safe to use in GL-4 applications.

How is the shift quality? :unsure:

Even if it's yellow metal safe, many GL5 products adversely affect the shifting and are too slippery

Even if it's yellow metal safe, many GL5 products adversely affect the shifting and are too slippery
@High Performance Lubricants may have manual transmission fluids not listed on the Advanced Lubrication website for sale. Just contact them directly and ask.

Alternatively, you can check out Red Line's product lineup, as they offer a plethora of manual transmission fluids, including 75W-90 and 75W-140 NS versions that you can safely use in a manual transaxle or manual transmission.

I will post up what the fluid itself looks like when it comes. I plan on getting it in the front and rear diffs.

Close call but I will choose it over the Motul Gear 300.

I will post up what the fluid itself looks like when it comes.
If its HPL, then IIRC, each gear oil viscosity has a different color, and it's odorless or nearly odorless. I used HPL 75W-90 in the front and rear diffs in my wife's Jeep GC. I will switch all our vehicles to HPL, one at a time. Their products are top-notch and then some.

I will likely be using that in my vehicle's diffs very soon 🤩
Hopefully early February I’ll have some lab test data (4 ball wear test, etc…) & VOAs with all the goodies to compare the Motul Gear 300 and the HPL. My main goal is testing two of Motul’s main claims… a 222 viscosity index and that it’s an “unshearable” lubricant.

Hopefully early February I’ll have some lab test data (4 ball wear test, etc…) & VOAs with all the goodies to compare the Motul Gear 300 and the HPL. My main goal is testing two of Motul’s main claims… a 222 viscosity index and that it’s an “unshearable” lubricant.
I did go ahead and get the Motul 300. I put enough miles on my car.. I needed that piece of mind. And I have been known to drive HARD.

109055.jpg

In regards to HPL, of course! I really believe their stuff is just about as good, or as good. Will be there in May. I was told it is NOT blue in color.. the argument could be made "does that matter" however im happy it is not blue .

The reviews on this stuff say it is incredible. I feel HPL needs more users so people can give testimonials so that people can think of HPL in the same line of thought as: Redline, Motul, AMSOIL perhaps Fuchs as ultra-premium lubricants. I support the company. We will undoubtedly talk about Mobil base stocks use at the meet, that's true. @High Performance Lubricants Is my assessment here valid?

As also noted by others, diff OCI and $ is less important to me than other requirements since it usually lasts years.
My interests are:
  1. low friction in the diff at moderate torque, ie more efficient. Thinner oil isn't always more efficient re gear mesh, and mesh loss is close to bearing loss, with churning in third Power Loss Modelling of a Rear Axle with the viscosity comparison attached
  2. adequate protection of the gear faces at WOT load - a need for a film thicker than face imperfections
The new Dana-Spicer XFE oil likely includes new tech additives as well, as they will extend your warranty if you use it.

SFR has not had outside tests that I can find besides Sands Machine galling tests. Gearzol MSDS:
Chemical Name CAS No Weight-%​
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 64742-54-7 50-70​
Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic Petroleum Oil 64742-52-5 INDENT]
PAO 68037-01-4 20-40​

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 39
As also noted by others, diff OCI and $ is less important to me than other requirements since it usually lasts years.
My interests are:
  1. low friction in the diff at moderate torque, ie more efficient. Thinner oil isn't always more efficient re gear mesh, and mesh loss is close to bearing loss, with churning in third Power Loss Modelling of a Rear Axle with the viscosity comparison attached
  2. adequate protection of the gear faces at WOT load - a need for a film thicker than face imperfections
The new Dana-Spicer XFE oil likely includes new tech additives as well, as they will extend your warranty if you use it.

SFR has not had outside tests that I can find besides Sands Machine galling tests. Gearzol MSDS:
Chemical Name CAS No Weight-%​
Petroleum distillates, hydrotreated heavy paraffinic 64742-54-7 50-70​
Severely Hydrotreated Heavy Naphthenic Petroleum Oil 64742-52-5 INDENT]
PAO 68037-01-4 20-40​

Calling @High Performance Lubricants to see if he’s able to share the HP gains and exactly who verified how much better the HPL gear oil was than the other gear lube at reducing friction, which was used bc it was previously the “best” available… and it wasn’t Spicer’s. Just sayin.

If Dave can’t, let’s just say the savings using HPL is enough to run a small space heater. 😂

I did go ahead and get the Motul 300.

I can't believe you didn't go with HPL. Why?

They are your favorite blender. Doesn't it feel like cheating when you use another brand?

You said this yourself last year:
The HPL products are made with a passion you'd find in a hand-made AMG engine with a placard of the signature of the person who made it...

Wow-Memes-7.jpeg

I did go ahead and get the Motul 300. I put enough miles on my car.. I needed that piece of mind. And I have been known to drive HARD.

View attachment 135868

In regards to HPL, of course! I really believe their stuff is just about as good, or as good. Will be there in May. I was told it is NOT blue in color.. the argument could be made "does that matter" however im happy it is not blue .

The reviews on this stuff say it is incredible. I feel HPL needs more users so people can give testimonials so that people can think of HPL in the same line of thought as: Redline, Motul, AMSOIL perhaps Fuchs as ultra-premium lubricants. I support the company. We will undoubtedly talk about Mobil base stocks use at the meet, that's true. @High Performance Lubricants Is my assessment here valid?

HPL is likely better than Motul - they have some interesting race and dyno results - that Motul does not.

The last thing your car needs is to be driven HARD. And if it is, no gear oil is going to prevent the myriad of failures that HARD driving will create.

Back