How would you choose your next car?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have several cars that I am looking at, that are honestly in completely different categories. Economy diesel, sports compact, entry luxury, etc. I have a spreadsheet with the price of all of the maintenance items that I can think of, the price of the modifications/fixes that I know of, and I am trying to find a website to price out insurance on all of them. Suggestions for that would really be helpful. Then I will take the average price of fuel in the area I will be moving back to, add a dollar per gallon, and then using fuelly’s average or forum posted average mpg, work out the total price of the car. I understand that there will be unforeseen problems, but I don’t really know how to factor those in Choices right now

2003-up Saab 9-3 Would you buy one? With the brand being dead I have been on and off on them honestly

FWD Volvo - not really decided which one yet, but probably the 850, _70, or S40

Neon SRT-4 - No cruise control and small seats kinda worry me, but they seem to be good on MPG for the size and power. A little showy though maybe

VW TDI - ALH or PD, PD has some cam problems and is picky with oil. ALH should get 40`s, and the OEM+ mod list is ridiculously long Cost of diesel in the US will knock down the benefit of MPG.

I don't know what else to put on the list. TIming belt would be something to list I guess. Anyone care to comment?

With so many disparate choices, I'm going to go ahead and say it: forget most of the costs of ownership and buy what will make you the happiest.

Even with the 0% financing and $7k off Subaru was offering on my car (I know, new vs used, apples vs oranges,) it was hard to justify the purchase. I didn't need everything the STI has to offer, but I also knew that, while not as bad as some, I do like to modify my vehicles, even if only slightly. With the STI, I haven't had to spend much money at all, since it came almost exactly how I wanted it, so I've been less tempted to go all out with modding, and I certainly haven't gotten bored with it.

As an enthusiast, we'll find something to love about any car we own, which most times doesn't have anything to do with saving money. haha.

Being the boy-racer that I still am (considering a Forester for my next car, so I might as well get it out of my system now,) I'd go with the SRT-4. They seem to be stout little cars, and they're really pretty decent with respect to looks. Unless some one knew, there's not much to distinguish it from a regular old Neon to most folks. You could even remove the spoiler if that bothered you or seemed to ostentatious.

If you can swing it, and physical/creature comforts aren't an issue, then maybe take a look at an EVO IV or '04-'05 STI with low miles; unmolested if you can find one.

I know this may not have helped, so if my guess that cost is only a superficial concern is way off, then I apologize.
cheers3.gif

AWD has never interested me. Here in Japan where it snows and gets gross until May, maybe, but not in Texas. I don't plan on going that high on power, and really want to work on the highway MPG figures with tuning. AWD really knocks that down. Getting the TDI for $5Kish would allow for a motorcycle in the stable, and lets be honest, it would take a lot of mods to any of the mentioned vehicles to beat a bike if so tested. A 2G DSM, 1988 or 1999 and Ceddymods might be fun, and I have wanted one for several years. Being married and being that kind of person anyway, I don't have the ability to forget cost. Getting what I want would mean gray market from Australia Holden ute or Mitsubishi Triton with 3.2DiD. I have set my limit at $10K, which is twice what it has ever been. Evos are $13k, early WRXs start at $8K, along with SRT-4s. SAABs at $6K, TDIs at $5.5K.

I usually start by planning on how long and what will I want to do with a vehicle for the next period of ownership. Appears that step one has not be completed yet. Ed

If you wanted something sporty and reliable why not check out 98-02 Camaro Z28 or Trans Ams? The LS1 is an excellent engine and you can get 30 mpg highway out of them. Back seats are ok but the front are comfy and supportive. It's worth a look IMO.

You asked about the Saab 9-3, I really like mine, and think that enough were sold that there will be parts availabity for a while. Nothing scared me to make me sell my car, and I plan on keeping it for a long time.

For me, the biggest determinants are 4 cyl/diesel if possible, and mt.

Semi, I have been thinking about the LS1 for a long time too. I don't know about insurance as compared to the others. JHZR2, yeah, I have talked to you several times about the 9-3, but some of the parts, like the DI cartridge, and Ionizing whatever module, worries me.

Wow - I thought I was obsessive about researching cars! Sometimes I take a year or more to research and decide, while my latest acquisition, a Nissan, took barely two weeks, now my 19th car.

There are two additional things I consider that you didn't mention:
Since I do all my own maintenance: can I obtain a factory service manual for free or close to free, and, less important but a consideration - what sort of age group typically own this car and will I be able to relate to them on the relevant message boards.

I've owned two Saab 900s and a VW TDI (in the US.) Saabs are great cars but weird and people judge you as such. And, don't buy a PD TDI, it's a dead technology. The old ones (VE) are great and most likely so are the new ones (CR.) And yes, now that we have a choice I only buy cars with a timing chain now.

When you look at economy don't let that override what you really want out of a car. It's just a few hundred dollars difference a year.

I like cars that don't draw attention (so I don't have to worry about where I park) but have interesting technology inside that I can smugly appreciate.

My latest find (in NZ) was a garage queen. Five years old, only 18,ooo km, still smells new and not a scratch on it.

Originally Posted By: Shaman
AWD has never interested me. Here in Japan where it snows and gets gross until May, maybe, but not in Texas.

where abouts in Texas?
My Older Brother who lives in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area has a '98 Mustang GT that's pretty much lived in his Garage since '99.
(Has about 16,000 Miles on it. 5-speed, leather, etc.)that he is(finally) only looking to get book value out of.

there's a fella on here in West Houston with a '02 Crown Vic for sale:
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubb...nt=3&page=1

Last edited:
Eddie, to answer your question. Daily Driver 250-300 ft lbs of torque manual, at least 30 mpg on the highway. Moddable, able to be tuned for better MPG

SRT-4 downloaded he FSM. All 1776 pages

VW TDI - there are enough bookmarked threads that I feel that anything that I can do, I can do it with the links

SAAB - not yet, haven't really gotten into them that much yet

Volvo - seems to be enough on the forums to be ok.

LS1 - everyone and their dog has an FSM.

Austin in 12 months

Last edited:
Hi there-

I was very hesitant about SAAB myself -but really and truthfully, I have had no issues finding parts and believe it or not, its quite simple to work on.

To me, Saab is a big bargain at the moment
I was able to pick up my 2003 9-5 for a honda civic price...

As with any used car, its about the history- meet the owners and get an idea of how the cars were maintained. The more records showing maintenance (preventative and otherwise), the better.

Originally Posted By: Shaman
AWD has never interested me.

^^Same here. Only cars I`ll ever own will be rear wheel drive. AWD to me seems a little "gimmicky",unless it`s a 4x4 truck. FWD imo is the worst thing to ever be invented.

Quote:
AWD to me seems a little "gimmicky",

Audi Quattro and Subaru systems are amazing with many of them running around after 20yrs without issue.
Even some of the worlds greatest sports cars like Porsche and Lambo now offer AWD.

needsducktape, what tune are you running? I was thinking 60lb injectors, OBX downpipe, water injection, and VT tune. Still need to find out which models came with HIDs, which had a 6-speed, and which ones had the bigger turbos.

Last edited:
My last purchase was based purely on 'bang for the buck' in something new. It was the fifth car in my personal fleet so I couldn't get extravagant, but it had to be something I would enjoy driving everyday. I ended up with a Mazdaspeed3, out the door (including taxes) for $25,000, stock 263hp/280ftlbs, added CP-e CAI, now 280hp/300ftlbs, short shift kit and Blizzaks. Goes like a bat out of hades in any weather condition and it's a blast to drive. The only issue I have with it is, it really should be a RWD.

You start with your requirements, not wants or fantasies...what must this next car be able to do? E.G, you really need decent MPG, the ability to haul big dogs, exceptional crashworthiness? You should be looking at the older Volvo wagon (the 850 FWD platform is a very reliable car, the newer P2 platform, less so...).

Then, figure your budget...and start looking at it from the balance between requirements and cost...if, in that set of constraints, there are some "fun" selections...you're all set.

FWIW, my Volvo T5 wagon seats 7 (2 kids), hauls stuff from the woodshop, gets 28 on the highway (at 75MPH...would do better if I could slow down) and accelerates/handles with some of the best sports cars. It meets my set of requirements - and it's fun. I bought it used, wrote a check...that's how I knew I could afford it...

Your needs (not wants, needs) will be different than mine...you need to clearly outline what they are as a first step...logic, not emotion, will serve you best as a first step...the emotion can come once you've outlined the set of options that fit both requirements and budget.

You're selections are all over the map, and I suspect based on "ohhh...that's neat...and I can afford that..."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back