How weird is this- I enjoy watching Lawernce Welk video's on youtube early Sunday mornings

Or as Jimmy Buffet would say:
71g-bZ-0mYL._SL1050_.jpg
As long as he doesn't get crabby about it. 😉

My father wanted me to like big band and pushed Lawrence welk on me from about 2 till I was a tween. He even gave me radios for Christmas with the tuner glued to a station he liked .

I was not allowed to listen to anything else untill I got my first car @16.

Today I'm not the least bit interested in the Lawrence welk show.
Please don't equate Lawrence Welk with big band music. That's elevator music. Ugh!

Big band music at its best is Duke Ellington and Count Basie, but Glenn Miller and the Dorsey brothers will do. The only time I could stand watching Lawrence Welk was when Pete Fountain was briefly in his band and he would play a jazz number.

I think my mom still watches it occasionally. She grew up watching it with her family so she has fond memories surrounding it.

I saw an episode with a woman in a feather dress. I always thought that was beyond odd. Looked on the tube for it, with no luck

We listen to a wide range of music and watch just as many wide range of video's and movies. Nat King Cole, Bing Crosby, Big Band, Swing, Ambient/Drone, 80's, 90's even Lawrence Welk. It's become a tradition in our home to watch these on PBS just like the Andy Williams xmas shows. We still try to catch shows around town as long as they are not in big cities. VFW seem to be the main draws. You youngsters don't have a clue what you're missing.

Maybe it is a yerning for America of old, or a escape from today's music, but early on Sunday mornings in the Winter, I enjoy watching Lawrence Welk videos on youtube. If this was summer, I would be outside doing something before church.

Lawrence Welk (March 11, 1903 – May 17, 1992) was an American accordionist, bandleader, and television impresario, who hosted the The Lawrence Welk Show from 1951 to 1982. His style came to be known as "champagne music" to his radio, television, and live-performance audiences.

Welk was born in the German-speaking community of Strasburg, North Dakota. He was sixth of the eight children of Ludwig and Christiana (née Schwahn) Welk, Roman Catholic ethnic Germans who emigrated in 1892 from Odessa, Russian Empire (now Ukraine).

Maybe some of us long for our youth, or a time of more "work hard and then relax some". I don't know, but I do enjoy Mr. Welk's shows on youtube. A little piece of positiveness, rest and relaxation in today's world.

View attachment 136667
There is nothing wrong with that. Gives an opportunity for self-deprecating humor as well.

Reactions: GON
Now my appreciation of Star Search, This Old House, & The New Yankee Workshop don't seem so weird anymore. Thanks Pop-Pop.

Also I can tolerate Matlock, In The Heat of The Night, and I mean who doesn't love the original "Law & Order"? Thanks Nana

There is hope for us yet. :ROFLMAO:

Now my appreciation of Star Search, This Old House, & The New Yankee Workshop don't seem so weird anymore. Thanks Pop-Pop.

Also I can tolerate Matlock, In The Heat of The Night, and I mean who doesn't love the original "Law & Order"? Thanks Nana

There is hope for us yet. :ROFLMAO:
Tv is fairly offensive, I pretty much hate watching Tv .

This is the only LW record I can really appreciate: "LaLaLaLa....."

Did you see the sponsor in the first video you posted? I wonder how long the couple in the second video had to rehearse? Great stuff. Thanks for posting these!

I watch tow truck videos early Sunday AM’s.

Towtrucker is the guy’s page on Facebook. Some pretty good content at times. He’s down is Alabama I think.

Back