How weird is this- I enjoy watching Lawernce Welk video's on youtube early Sunday mornings

Totally different era back then. We used to watch it.

It was originally called the Dodge Dancing Show (?) because Dodge was the main sponsor. Lots of shows had company names attached. I seem to remember him pushing Geritol too. Another sponsor I presume.

Simpler times.

Reactions: GON
Guy Lombardo was worse than LW. My father lived for the Guy Lombardo show. Both were Creepy. The worse episodes where they converted rock songs to elevator music.

Maybe it is a yerning for America of old, or a escape from today's music, but early on Sunday mornings in the Winter, I enjoy watching Lawrence Welk videos on youtube. If this was summer, I would be outside doing something before church.

Lawrence Welk (March 11, 1903 – May 17, 1992) was an American accordionist, bandleader, and television impresario, who hosted the The Lawrence Welk Show from 1951 to 1982. His style came to be known as "champagne music" to his radio, television, and live-performance audiences.

Welk was born in the German-speaking community of Strasburg, North Dakota. He was sixth of the eight children of Ludwig and Christiana (née Schwahn) Welk, Roman Catholic ethnic Germans who emigrated in 1892 from Odessa, Russian Empire (now Ukraine).

Maybe some of us long for our youth, or a time of more "work hard and then relax some". I don't know, but I do enjoy Mr. Welk's shows on youtube. A little piece of positiveness, rest and relaxation in today's world.

View attachment 136667

I remember as a kid watching his show with my grandma. I enjoyed some of his music too

My wife watched LW with her grandmother. She taught me about Sissy and Bobby, Champagne Lady, Tapdancer Guy, and the Lennon Sisters.

Remember seeing the Beatles for my first time on Ed Sullivan show, at my Grandparents.

Grandparents were rich back in the 1960's. They had a color TV and a window unit air conditioner!;)

Many great memories there. My Grandma was our church organist. Had a piano and organ in the house. They lived right next door.
She taught me how to play piano and organ. I filled in for her at church a couple times, if she could not make it. I could never play her list though. Had to pick out easy music, but I guess it beat none.

My father wanted me to like big band and pushed Lawrence welk on me from about 2 till I was a tween. He even gave me radios for Christmas with the tuner glued to a station he liked .

I was not allowed to listen to anything else untill I got my first car @16.

Today I'm not the least bit interested in the Lawrence welk show.

My father wanted me to like big band and pushed Lawrence welk on me from about 2 till I was a tween. He even gave me radios for Christmas with the tuner glued to a station he liked .

I was not allowed to listen to anything else untill I got my first car @16.

Today I'm not the least bit interested in the Lawrence welk show.
:eek: Chris, I am rolling on the floor LOL and crying. Your Dad's motivational talent of "fixing the radio" is classic! I have to remember this one for sure. You dont still happen to have the radio do you?

My Mom always loved Carol Burnett and Patsy Kline.

Thanks GON for this thread, it brings back fond memories!(y)

I didn't always enjoy the Laurence Welk Show but I started to watch it when it used to be on PBS in the late 90s. It was refreshing for some reason. Guy Hovis, a fellow Mississippian, and his wife were a good part of the show. The PBS repeats were hosted by former cast members and contained behind the scenes stories.

If more people sold Mary Kay, we'd have a pink car nation.
Or as Jimmy Buffet would say:
71g-bZ-0mYL._SL1050_.jpg

Back