How to remove straw from car lock?

I was using a dry teflon based lube, that doesn't attract dirt - but lesson learned :)
On my cars it is pretty easy to disassemble the lock cylinder, it's more work to get it out of the car than it is to take it apart. You need to watch for flying springs and make sure the wafers get back in the right slots but it's not that difficult. There is likely a YouTube video for it.

Reactions: JC1
This is the stuff I use on my locks. Also Houdini lock spray works great as well. I agree with what Astro said never use WD40 in a lock not a good idea at all.

Attachments

• FFCCFDEA-8475-46F5-BB1F-3474DB4BF8F2.jpeg
    FFCCFDEA-8475-46F5-BB1F-3474DB4BF8F2.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 13
It's in there that bad?

I see your line of logic here.. Softening, removing it through disintegration.

How is it going so far?
If the tube is made from polyethylene or polypropylene (likely) then there's nothing that will soften or disintegrate it. If it can't be safely fished out somehow then the cylinder has to be dissembled to remove the piece.

If the tube is made from polyethylene or polypropylene (likely) then there's nothing that will soften or disintegrate it.
Agreed on this one, as same tube is used with carb/brake parts cleaner and never disintegrate.

Only it does, when left for a long time in the outdoors.

Just remove the lock yourself. Once the lock is out of the pilot you can see exactly was is going on.

Do this on a Saturday or a day when you have a few hours. This exercise will ensure your never stick a straw in a door lock ever again.

Think have made a little bit of progress, used a sharp but sturdy wire inside the lock(similar to a paper clip), now at least key is going farther inside the lock, though can't lock or unlock it, if I continue to use a thin wire might be able to break/push the plastic piece down.

Now key is going completely inside the lock, but isn't moving and can't lock or unlock it, does it mean one of the wafer is stuck or plastic piece has been just pushed down? (y)

Now key is going completely inside the lock, but isn't moving and can't lock or unlock it, does it mean one of the wafer is stuck or plastic piece has been just pushed down? (y)
The tumblers/wafers are jambed up.
You really need to take the lock off and disassemble or take it to someone who can.

You’ll never fix it by pushing anything further in. It’s a completely closed cylinder, there’s no way for something to push out the other side or anywhere other than into a bad place. Yes you are jamming up the wafers.

Back