How to remove overspray...

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be overspray on my car (or something that closely resembles that) and i have tried everything i can think of to get it off with no luck. I have tried a walmart bought meguiars claybar (which i have heard might not be the best) but it takes some of it off or it at least appears to, when i rub it with the claybar the claybar is getting black on it, but the stuff is still on the paint. Anyway, what can you guys recommend to me that would be safe for my paint to get this stuff off?

find an autobody supply in your area and they might have a chemical for removing overspray. Otherwise you'll have to buff it out with abrasives and a buffer.

what kind of abrasives? Is there nothing else that might work? i didnt want to have to go the buffing route unless 100% necessary.

Clay bar is the best way to do it. as long as theres lube, you can clay the same spot for days and not have a problem. keep claying untill its gone, keep folding the clay so you use clean clay.

Last edited:
Depends on what the black stuff is. Paint? Roofing tar? Industrial fallout from a nearby factory?

Clay is easy and safe but time consuming. You may end up going thru several bars and bottles of spray lube, but it'll be cheapest in the long run.

Have you tried any degreasers or all purpose cleaners? What about a mild paint thinner? Any chemicals seem to do the trick?

Lately I've been using multi-step decontamination washes to remove crud like this. It's one step acid wash, one step alkaline wash and a final shampoo. Strips off pretty much everything and only requires spot claying at most. Something like this: http://www.fk1usa.com/decontamination.htm

Yes you can see it on the paint, i will get some pics of it hopefully tomorrow. The overspray is only about 2 weeks old max, and i dont live near any factories and the stuff thats on the car is ALL over it from the roof to the bumpers so i dont think its tar. As i said clay bar does seem to take it off but it only LOOKS that way on the claybar, the paint remains rough.

I get this often on my vehicles while at work. What I think you are seeing are specks in the paint like overspray. Get a botle of rubbing alcohol (the highest % like 90%) and a rag. Pour some alcohol on your rag and blot the specks, rub a little with your finger and it will come off. Sure it will take some time, but its safer than scrubbing with harsh abrasives. Works tons better than clay - which I never had much luck with anyhow no matter who's clay I used. Just remember to clean and wax well afterwards and if you wash your car frequently and keep it waxed you shouldn't have to do this again.

Originally Posted By: tom slick
That's a great suggestion! alcohol removes latex paint but won't touch anything else.

I found this out from co-workers...I work at a GM plant and sometimes the paint stacks emit paint specs which land on my car. The alcohol gets it off safely. May not be the absolute quickest, but anytime you can avoid harsh abrasives you're better off.

Last edited:
OK the rubbing alcohol did not work, but i ended up buying some "aggressive" strength clay bar and it takes it right off. The clay bar i had before i guess wasn't strong enough but this stuff works great. Thanks a bunch guys.

Glad to hear you got the problem solved. Must have been some really tough stuff!

yeah it was, i am now not certain it was even overspray either... it comes off on the clay bar as like a dirt colored brown.. very weird i don't know what it is/was.

It may have been rail dust if you are anywhere near railroad tracks. That is some nasty stuff. Otherwise, may have been some fallout contamination. Oh well - glad its gone!

i bought meguiars professional aggressive style clay. Worked better than the off the shelves meguiars clay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back