How To Remove Overspray On Aluminum Wheels?

NDL

I have an old truck, and I thought that I covered my passenger side aluminum wheel sufficiently, before spray painting my front bumper. I didn't, apparently, and a little overspray got onto my pristine condition aluminum wheel.

Is there anyway to remove the overspray - which is light to moderate (if that) - without damaging the clear coat finish on the aluminum wheel? As I mentioned, this is an old truck, so I want to do it myself (as opposed to having it professionally done).

Thanks in advance

I have seen a clay bar work. If not I would use a very fine finishing compound like 3M FineseIt2. Use a wax or sealant afterward.
There may be quicker ways, but I would be concerned about damaging finish.

yeah, I'd start with a clay bar...it removed a the overspray from my driver's door after i had the front fender painted after a deer impact.

If you've waxed or put sealant on in recent months, I'd first try a scrub brush and strong, hot, detergent solution.

Another option to try is a plastic scraper, or even the edge of an old credit card if you have none.

Otherwise, the mildest abrasive you have, the milder the more elbow grease you'll have to put into it but that will be made up for in not having the clearcoat hazed any more than necessary or not having to come back and buff that out.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Danno
Try WD-40 and wash immediately afterwards with soapy water.

Originally Posted by iahawk
yeah, I'd start with a clay bar...it removed a the overspray from my driver's door after i had the front fender painted after a deer impact.

Originally Posted by Dave9
If you've waxed or put sealant on in recent months, I'd first try a scrub brush and strong, hot, detergent solution.

Another option to try is a plastic scraper, or even the edge of an old credit card if you have none.

Otherwise, the mildest abrasive you have, the milder the more elbow grease you'll have to put into it but that will be made up for in not having the clearcoat hazed any more than necessary or not having to come back and buff that out.

Thanks very much, for your time and suggestions

Originally Posted by kstanf150
A cheap bottle of finger nail polish remover

Appreciate your time...acetone won't harm the clear coat finish?

Originally Posted by NDL

Use very little or dilute with rubbing alcohol (if you can find it) and rub very lightly. But as kstanf1 states, it does work.

You can also try various polishes. My recommendation is 3M found in the paint section at AZone or Advanced Auto.

Originally Posted by wemay
Originally Posted by NDL

Use very little or dilute with rubbing alcohol (if you can find it) and rub very lightly. But as kstanf1 states, it does work.

You can also try various polishes. My recommendation is 3M found in the paint section at AZone or Advanced Auto.

Thank you

Back