How to remove dealer add ons "protection packages"

Almost every dealer here is doing it especially for cars on the lot or not ordered directly from factory. Daughter ordered and eventually got her Mustang E direct from Ford.. Dealer tried to add on the package but she specifically said it was not on the order and refused to pay it. Dealer eventually gave in and removed the fee. Today's market is tough, it is a seller's market for cars.

Buy from a dealer in Illinois. Illinois is the only state in the USA that has a huge dealer network and a declining population.

One may have to purchase from a rural Illinois dealer, rather than a Chicagoland dealer. But buy that car from a rural dealer in Illinois, likely the place one most likely can get a not over the top out the door price in the USA on a new vehicle purchase.
The OP already is in Illinois. Just a hunch, but I tend to think he's already shopping in-state. But since you seem to like bringing it up: it ain't as easy as you seem to think. The car shortage is happening here too. The lots are empty. Slow-selling rural dealers have been given smaller allotments so more cars can go to the bigger dealers.

I love the names of these packages they install on every car on their lot.

D46E8DBD-71E4-4015-BDE9-8364C7B482A2.gif

I love the names of these packages they install on every car on their lot.

View attachment 90086
I think the honest ones just labelled it "Dealer markup" and tell you, I like those as they are no nonsense and saves everyone time.

Friend got into an accident and the car was totalled, he went to an honest dealer and pay the "Dealer markup" instead of some stupid package.

When I buy a car I look over the numbers. Each item that is added I ask what it is. The "add ons" I bluntly tell them I am not paying for that. They ask why and I say that I can do the same thing for next to nothing. Then they try and barter the price. I again tell them that I am not paying for that charge. I have never not gotten the car because of this. They just take off the charge and all is good. You just need to be on your toes and check the line items again when you get into finance. They try and slip them in again. Then when you tell them to take it out the finance guy says he was unaware of that and then takes it out. If you don't check you will end up paying for it anyway

Don

We were at the brother in laws house yesterday who bought a diesel Colorado last summer.

They tried charging him $300 for the etching of the vin on the body panels? I didn’t know this was a thing.

He walked out. The salesman came up to him asking how it all went thinking he bought the truck. The salesman ended up fixing it for him. Lol.

Back