How to plumb preluber with bypass filter?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Guys,

I seem to recall reading a post (asked/answered) about how to plumb a preluber with a bypass oil filter setup (not talking about the combined Amsoil setup, but components installed separately). I searched for it quite a bit last night and cannot seem to locate the post, however.

I've got a Pareto Point bypass filter which plumbs in a sandwich at the oil filter location, and I'm wondering what's the best way to plumb in a preluber such as the one at engineprelube dot com. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

And for those who are going to ask "why do you need a bypass filter / preluber", to paraphrase someone else on BITOG: I don't believe I ever indicated that I needed them.
smile.gif

unDummy- I hope your post was meant as humor or sarcasm, since it is simply the installation instructions from the engineprelube dot come website- a website I already referenced in my post above.

If you actually read my post, you'll see that I'm asking *specifically* about how the install would change with the addition of a separate bypass filter. If this is not a joke and it is something obvious I'm not seeing, then perhaps an explanation (*gasp*) in your post in addition to the link might be helpful.

Originally Posted By: unDummy
http://engineprelube.com/installation.html

Thats the best way, tee'd into an oil pressure source, like the PSI sender. Thats it!

You will want the restrictor on the end of the hose that connects the line for the bypass filter to the tee. You will then connect the preluber to the other port on the tee. That way your preluber won't be pushing oil through the restrictor.

That seems like a lot of lines. If your OPS is large and heavy I wouldn't use a cross to connect everything at the OPS port on your engine. That might be too much stress for your fittings. Use the smallest & lightest line you can find that is appropriate for hot engine oil for your bypass filter.

The best thing if you have one would be using an oil galley plug on your engine block to connect the bypass filter to. Then use a separate port for your preluber. Ideally you want the fewest number of fittings on any one port to eliminate the chances of fatigue and leaks.

Your bypass is on the 'oil filter sandwich'. Your preluber is on the oil pressure sender port. Why is this turning into super complexity? Keep it simple and don't over think it.

Here's how I did it. I have an Amsoil BMK-13 Dual Remote Bypass, and I have a prelube pump that receives oil from the drain plug port. I put a tee fitting on inlet of the BMK-13:

EntireSystem.jpg

It's hard to see from the pic, but the two blue fittings in the photo are on the line between the prelube pump and the tee. The braided line between them has a loop to prevent fatigue.

Since my prelube pump has a one-way check valve, I didn't have to worry about oil going back through the prelube pump when it wasn't running. If your preluber doesn't have a check valve, you will need to install one.

I hope this helps.

The prelube pump needs to take suction from the sump. I don't know if you'd get oil to the prelube pump if you try to pull it from the sandwich adapter which would have to pull oil though the engine oil pump. You can try a test set up into a bucket and see if that works (doubt it, but give a try).

Does the oil pressure sender port get the oil into the engine's oil system? Again, after you get a good suction source established, try that and see if you get oil to the rocker arms.

A check valve is a one-way valve. You'll need a check valve at the prelube pump to prevent oil from flowing from a pressure source and driving the prelube pump backwards...and short circuiting this oil that should be going to the engine.

Originally Posted By: slalom44

Since my prelube pump has a one-way check valve, I didn't have to worry about oil going back through the prelube pump when it wasn't running. If your preluber doesn't have a check valve, you will need to install one.

I just asked the preluber distributor about a check valve and here is the response I got:

"No problem, our system doesn't have a pump* to worry about because it stores the pressurized oil when the engine is running and automatically pressurizes the engine when the key is turned on for the startup."

* = I assume he meant to say "check valve" instead of "pump" here...

Is this reasonable rationale for not including/recommending a check valve with this system?

Question: where are you guys getting the fitting/fittings needed to feed oil from the oil drain plug to the pre-luber, and then the Tee to thread into the block where the oil sending unit is? I installed mine over 20 years ago and it came with all the needed hardware. I have a pre-luber pump I'm considering using on the next garage queen if/when I buy it.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: demarpaint
Question: where are you guys getting the fitting/fittings needed to feed oil from the oil drain plug to the pre-luber, and then the Tee to thread into the block where the oil sending unit is? I installed mine over 20 years ago and it came with all the needed hardware. I have a pre-luber pump I'm considering using on the next garage queen if/when I buy it.

Thanks

I picked up my drain plug fitting from www.batinc.net and I got everything else from Jeg's. There's a Jeg's near my house so it was convenient. There are probably lots of other places to get these things.

I'll have to look through a catalog or a good hardware store once I have sizes and figure it out. Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted By: mjo
There are two types of prelubers - one is a pump and another is a pressure accumulator.

Are the pressure accumulator systems like insta-lube any good? or is a pump better?

I've had both. The pressure systems were way more complex to set up and required a pregnant pause before startup.

I LOVE my simple Moroso accumulator with a remote switch. It's almost instantaneous.

Originally Posted By: InvisibleFrisbee
Originally Posted By: mjo
There are two types of prelubers - one is a pump and another is a pressure accumulator.

Are the pressure accumulator systems like insta-lube any good? or is a pump better?

With a pump, I have to wait for the pressure to build up. Most of the time it's just a few seconds but on subzero mornings it can take about 20 seconds. I don't have any experience with an accumulator but I'd assume it's faster as Steve states.

The real benefit of the pump is during oil changes. You can purge all of the oil from your system, refill and start back up with full pressure on clean oil. With an accumulater you either have to leave the oil in the accumulator or your first start is dry. I admit that just one dry start on a rare occasion is insignificant and because you change oil with a warm engine, the first start isn't that dry.

Originally Posted By: slalom44
With a pump, I have to wait for the pressure to build up. Most of the time it's just a few seconds but on subzero mornings it can take about 20 seconds. I don't have any experience with an accumulator but I'd assume it's faster as Steve states.

This is true. In fact with my pump I can tell the difference between dino and synthetic oil by how fast it takes my pump to build pressure when its cold. Synthetic oil of the same grade pumps faster than dino oil, even at temps as cool as 40*F. As it gets colder the synthetic oil really shines.

Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
I've had both. The pressure systems were way more complex to set up and required a pregnant pause before startup.

I LOVE my simple Moroso accumulator with a remote switch. It's almost instantaneous.

What size accumulator are you running? Are you running the moroso pressure control valve as well? If so, when you use this, does the accumulator still function for it's original purpose, which is to supply extra oil in a situation during racing where the pump fails to supply oil to the engine during a hard corner?

I really don't know the size. Go to Summit Racing, that's where I got it years ago. They have several sizes and types.

It has a nifty solenoid switched from inside the car that lets me prelube with pressurized oil before I start my baby, and it still functions as added insurance if the pressure drops during driving, which no pump system can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back