How To Make Black Talon Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.
He didn't have the proper seating stem on his bullet seating die. If he did there would have been no deformity done to the nose of the bullet. And when he's done all he has are soft cast handloaded bullets. They are not going to perform anywhere near the way factory Winchester Black Talon loads would have.

Originally Posted By: billt460
He didn't have the proper seating stem on his bullet seating die. If he did there would have been no deformity done to the nose of the bullet. And when he's done all he has are soft cast handloaded bullets. They are not going to perform anywhere near the way factory Winchester Black Talon loads would have.

I don't know much about reloading, but I was wondering the same thing; Where's the case?

HST for me
smile.gif

There's nothing overly special about Black Talon ammo except the negative liberal press it received. The Win. SXT line which replaced it was basically the same but carried an unremarkable moniker.

Originally Posted By: umungus1122
There's nothing overly special about Black Talon ammo except the negative liberal press it received. The Win. SXT line which replaced it was basically the same but carried an unremarkable moniker.
I remember testing some .40 BT back in the day. The bullets looked like they could have been reloaded after shooting a water jug. Obviously the best thing about them was the marketing campaign.

Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Here's a how-to on making Black Talon ammo. Very interesting, to me anyway.

Where's the dude's gel testing to verify they actually perform?

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Didn't SXT stand for "Same eXact Thing" just without the black coating?

Yes, SXT-Same Exact Thing as a Black Talon.
And, PDX1 is a different design than the Ranger-T. But, I own both, HST and PDX1.
Hutt, why LOL?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: BlueOvalFitter
Here's a how-to on making Black Talon ammo. Very interesting, to me anyway.

Where's the dude's gel testing to verify they actually perform?

Z06, I don't know. I just thought it would make for some good reading, use to someone, I don't know.

Oh boy. Coloring some lead ammo does not make a black Talon ammo. For crying out loud. Was that guy serious?

Black Talon, Winchester SXT, and Winchester Ranger T, all use the same reverse taper design. The copper jacket is designed to open up into a nasty sharp cutting points.

I used to work with a guy that loaded Black talon into his carry gun. I asked him why? He said its super duper killing ammo. Ok. But its three generations behind modern stuff. Might as well SELL that stuff to some ammo collector, and buy MODERN ammo. The Ranger T ammo is superior to Black Talon in every way.

I get a kick out of the guys that will spend $3 per round for 25 year old Black Talon because they think its the best stuff on the market. It is not. It would be middle of the pack to bottom of the pack compared to modern ammo today. PLUS its 20 years old at this point. Primers and powder do break down with age, and I sure wouldn't be using 20-25 year old ammo in my primary carry gun. Yeah, its likely to work, but its also likely to be less reliable than some brand new Gold Dots. I've owned 50 year old ammo that was a dud three out of ten shots.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
Didn't SXT stand for "Same eXact Thing" just without the black coating?

Maybe not verbatim, but that's always been the "tongue in cheek" response

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Oh boy. Coloring some lead ammo does not make a black Talon ammo.
For crying out loud. Was that guy serious?

he's just hoping for more YouTube views........ that's all

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back