How to jack car so it is level for a CVT transmisison oil change?

I have a 2017 civic, my garage floor is sloping down. I have floor ramps in the front and jack stand in the back. How do you check car level when lifted?

For leveling does the front-jack-point to ground distance the same as the back-jack-point to ground distance?

Would both have to be the same for the car to be level? What about your sloping garage floor?

Here is my setup.

Cheers,
rev

Use a level
1717508332048.jpg
? Open a door and place it on the door sill as those seem to be considered "level" and flat. If you don't have one, just get as level as you can visually. Worst case, measure what drains out and put the same amount back in. You might not get as much as normal out but 80% is better than not changing it at all.

Putting the car on stands is not safe if the floor is "sloping down" as you say.
+1 Use ramps on the front and a couple 2x8 under the back wheels. Personally I get it reasonably close to level for this stuff, favoring the slight overfill, I can't see how it could matter at all to have a +-5% in any automotive application where the fluid is sloshing around? But I'm no SAE drivetrain engineer either...

+1 Use ramps on the front and a couple 2x8 under the back wheels. Personally I get it reasonably close to level for this stuff, favoring the slight overfill, I can't see how it could matter at all to have a +-5% in any automotive application where the fluid is sloshing around? But I'm no SAE drivetrain engineer either...

This...don't overthink it. Even several degrees out of level is most likely not going to change the fluid amount that much.
Where is the fill hole? If anything, I would just make sure it is slightly on the uphill side, and go with it.

I use a level on top of the valve cover.
Engines don't (need to) sit "level", though it's probably close enough. OP has a transverse-mounted engine too so it sits the wrong orientation to check front-to-rear level.

Do you have a magnetic torpedo level? Stick it on the transmission fluid pan, put the car on the stands and adjust to get the bubble close to level. As @DriveHard mentioned, I wouldn't sweat it if it is off a little. Half a bubble off isn't going to be a big deal.

I use four Rhino ramps on the floor in my level garage for servicing transmissions, transfer cases, and differentials.

1) Flat and leveled ground
2) Identical jacks from all 4 corners
3) iPhone to level on the floor

You need all 3 of them usually, and that should be "close enough". It is not precision engineering as there are safety margin. Car does not stay balance when driven and therefore fluid would slush around on the inside. The full / empty mark should be the safety margin they give you.

Engines don't (need to) sit "level", though it's probably close enough. OP has a transverse-mounted engine too so it sits the wrong orientation to check front-to-rear level.
I bet they are made so the engine is level. Find a level spot then check it. It's how I do it as my driveway slopes in two directions. As long as you choose a flat spot for the level.

Thanks for the tip do ramps fail at times, they are metal an exceed weight capacity of the civic.

I primed the gears, and went for a short ride around subdivision. I checked my cars street- reference-level using the cars door jam. I've jacked up the car again using the ramps in front and jacks in the back and more less leveled to my street-reference-level. Here is what my cars level looks like.

I've then cracked the CVT check bolt and 400 mL came out. So originally I removed 4.8L from the CTV, then added 4529 mL, then drained 400 mL via drain bolt. So after everything I've readded 4129 mL after removing 4.8L. Is it possible I've been driving my 2017 civic with an extra 700 mL of CVT oil without any issue for 160K km?

1. Or should I prime the CVT gears again, and add more HCF2 fluid to see if any more oil can go in the transmission?

2. There any warning signs for CVT transmission over-fill or under fill? Any warning signs?

3. There a cheap way to monitor transmission temps via the OBD2 interface?

Thanks for all youre help.

Cheers,
Rev

Back