How to determine hosting provider?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Assume a hypothetical company called Company-X.

Company-X employees have email addresses that use the domain @company-x.com.

Company-X is tiny, has no IT staff, and buys their mail and hosting from some local provider.

Email headers tell me that Company-X's mail is handled by emailsrvr.com, but obviously Company-X is not dealing directly with emailsrvr.com.

It seems obvious to me that Company-X would buy their hosting and mail from some local provider that then contracts with emailsrvr.com to handle the mail.

My question: Is there some publicly-available way of determining the name of that local provider?

More info: I know that Company-X's owner is with bell.ca for his Internet access, but another employee is with distributel.net. However, both of their emails pass through emailsrvr.com.

If there's no technical clues (DNS, etc) that provide that info (ie, the middle man is simply a logical entity, providing no service other than management), then the only way you would be able to determine who the middle man is is to ask. Unless I'm not understanding the scenario correctly.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Tegger
My question: Is there some publicly-available way of determining the name of that local provider?

I cannot imagine your local service provider volunteering information like that. Most of these small/ local companies wish to posture themselves as your provider; and it likely does not serve to fortify their brand - or the trust between them and their customers - if it is extremely obvious that they are simply middlemen who cobble together services from various other providers for you for a fee.

If "some local provider" is indeed simply managing the actual services for Company X then I would have to say "no", there is no public way of ascertaining who it is that contracted the actual technical services on Company X's behalf.

Originally Posted By: Garak
A full email header might give you some clues as to what you're looking for.

But if I, as a hypothetical "uc50ic4more Tech Services, Inc." was contracted by you to register a domain name and I did so through GoDaddy using your information for owner and administration, there is absolutely no public way of knowing that "uc50ic4more Tech Services, Inc." had anything to do with anything: the domain garak.com would be publicly shown as being owned and administered by Garak, Inc. and any actual information available in emails and at the web server and so on would indicate GoDaddy. In this case, "uc50ic4more Tech Services, Inc." is simply a logistics middleman doing some clerical work for Garak, Inc.

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Unless I'm not understanding the scenario correctly.

I think you're understanding it correctly.

It's a bit long to explain, but the situation that gave rise to my question has been resolved, so I no longer need to know this information.

Thanks all.

Originally Posted By: uc50ic4more
But if I, as a hypothetical "uc50ic4more Tech Services, Inc." was contracted by you to register a domain name and I did so through GoDaddy using your information for owner and administration, there is absolutely no public way of knowing that "uc50ic4more Tech Services, Inc." had anything to do with anything: the domain garak.com would be publicly shown as being owned and administered by Garak, Inc. and any actual information available in emails and at the web server and so on would indicate GoDaddy. In this case, "uc50ic4more Tech Services, Inc." is simply a logistics middleman doing some clerical work for Garak, Inc.

That's true, but that's why I mentioned "clues" rather than bona fide facts. Obviously, the ISP itself has nothing to do with anything, since one can access email accounts from other ISPs, including other ISPs' email servers. Sometimes, you get something useful out of the email header and then can go to check elsewhere, but plenty of times, you do not. You might catch something interesting in their sending domain in the full header that differs from the nominal email domain (of course, I don't mean along the route, either), but that's far from common.

You might come across something like that, say, if one were using Google's service where they let you use your domain name but they handle the email for you, rather than you setting up your own email server. Of course, going back to who owns what and who's contracted to do what brings up the pitfalls you mention; this holds especially true in your mention of a company registering on behalf of another company. And, for many businesses, particularly smaller ones, it's likely more worthwhile to set up email using one's domain name but through something like Google or Hushmail, rather than trying to set up an actual email server. So, whatever one actually "finds out" is suspect.

Rereading the original post carefully, given a very small company, it would be hard to tell, but one might get some clues if one is lucky.

If it were me running the small company and I was the owner of the domain and the small company but didn't have a tech department, here's what I'd be doing. I'd purchase my internet access from SaskTel or Access. I wouldn't go near them for internet space, because they're expensive. I'd find another provider for that. For a small company, I'd probably have Hush handle the email using my domain name, if I were concerned about privacy, and if I were not concerned about privacy, I'd have Google do it, since they can accomplish the same thing.

In such a situation, I could hypothetically set up my own mail server, since it's really not that difficult and I'm not afraid of Linux. By the way, do .ca domain names require a person's name attached to them, in addition to a company's name? It's been so long since I set one up, and I had to provide my name.

Originally Posted By: Tegger
It's a bit long to explain, but the situation that gave rise to my question has been resolved, so I no longer need to know this information.

It's still fun to consider.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Garak
In such a situation, I could hypothetically set up my own mail server, since it's really not that difficult and I'm not afraid of Linux. By the way, do .ca domain names require a person's name attached to them, in addition to a company's name? It's been so long since I set one up, and I had to provide my name.

I registered a .ca name earlier this week; but I have an account at GoDaddy and most of the information (including my name as admin - I only have to alter my client's info as owner) gets filled in automagically when I set up a new domain, and therefore I do not know what is required and what optional.

Like I mentioned, I haven't done it for ages. Maybe I should set up my own email server in my basement. I don't have to send anything classified, so it won't matter.
wink.gif

You should see what some of the local providers think they should charge for webspace. Unless you're a senior setting up a page with a few pictures and an email link, it's darn near unaffordable. I wonder why they even bother.

My email runs through two separate service providers and onto multiple devices. Seems really complex but I can access anywhere and on my phone. It's all IMAP so when I delete one place it deletes on all. This allows me to have a completely virtual business office in multiple locations for really low cost.

If you try to trace one of my emails you will go crazy trying to figure it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back