How to cut and program transponder key - 2003 Honda

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I am having my head ache from all the conflicting info I find when internet researching this task. To be clear, I have one functional and working original key, not trying to reprogram from scratch. Problem is I only have one and want a back-up. This is for a 2003 civic LX with central locking, but no remote.

I know I can go to the dealer, but it will be pricey and inconvenient. I see a lot of conflicting information; some say it can be done at home no problem, paired with the existing key, etc.

This is a recently acquired used car for a step-sons first car. Neither front lock cylinders worked (trunk and ignition OK), but I took them out and pulled the single worn wafer in each, and now we are good in that regard; replacement wafers were not easy to get. Just need to get a duplicate. Should I just go to Ace Hardware, or would it be wiser to go to the dealer and have them cut it from the VIN or code I coped from the cylinders when they were out - giving me a fresher key and not loosing accuracy in a machine copying this worn one?

Thanks for advice and experience with this.

[Linked Image]

key.jpg

Last edited:
I had key for my Ridgeline where the remote head broke. I bought an aftermarket Honda key on eBay and moved the remote guts and transponder to the new key. I had the same problem trying to find someone to cut the key for reasonable price. In the end the dealer was the cheapest and cut the key using the VIN so there were no errors in duplication. I discovered that my assumption that the dealer is always the highest price was wrong

I got this laser key cutting machine for $200 that paid for itself after 5 or 6 keys.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

And this key programmer for $80 that paid for itself the first time I used it.

[Linked Image from i.ebayimg.com]

Thank you guys.

I've seen a few cheap programmers like atikovi mentioned. I figured my worst scenario was to have a key cut at Ace or Walmart, then have to cough up for one of those (no big deal). I'd rather have a cheap tool than go back to the dealer every time.

Thanks for your input; welcome for more.

I highly doubt ACE or Walmart will have the router type machine to cut that key. I had the same car and years ago it cost me $25 to get the key made at the dealer.

The good old days... A few months back it took me a month and $635 to get a duplicate key made for my Mercedes.

I used to have a 2004 CR-V that had that same exact key. I had another one made at a locksmith shop. They cloned the chip from the existing key and cut it. Cost about $58.

Originally Posted by Oro_O
Thank you guys.

I've seen a few cheap programmers like atikovi mentioned. I figured my worst scenario was to have a key cut at Ace or Walmart, then have to cough up for one of those (no big deal). I'd rather have a cheap tool than go back to the dealer every time.

Thanks for your input; welcome for more.

Wal-Mart can't cut a Honda key nor can most hardware stores. I checked when I needed one cut. You have to go to a locksmith or the dealer. In my case the dealer was cheaper than the locksmith.

Originally Posted by DerbyDave

Wal-Mart can't cut a Honda key nor can most hardware stores. I checked when I needed one cut. You have to go to a locksmith or the dealer. In my case the dealer was cheaper than the locksmith.

Yeah, Ace and Walmart now advertise they do that.

https://www.acehardware.com/automot...pQpl3t4zdBoCZT0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

The local Ace I go to has been advertising transponder keys for a while. Hillman - who seems to be the biggest supplier of key blanks and they also supply all the big boxs with key cutting machines is stocking transponder keys. It looks like the "head" is separate from the blank. Looks like an Ilco unit.

On an related note, Home Depot migrated away from Hillman's Axxess+ keys and is using a new totally enclosed key cutting system. Might be to accommodate the new milled/laser cut OEM keys?

Yeah, Ace and Walmart now advertise they do that.

https://www.acehardware.com/automot...pQpl3t4zdBoCZT0QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

My Wal-Mart and Lowes both could not cut a Honda key when I checked with them earlier this year. I don't have an Ace nearby so I didn't call them. That is great if they are starting to cut Honda Keys

[

My Wal-Mart and Lowes both could not cut a Honda key when I checked with them earlier this year. I don't have an Ace nearby so I didn't call them. That is great if they are starting to cut Honda Keys

Wal-mart had a "finder" thing on the web site about ID'ing which stores could/could not. Sorry I can't find the link now. Mine said it did, going to check it out in a few days.

I went to Ace today; they said they could do it. But I was three deep, had a lot of errands to run. $66 after tax. I left as I had stuff to do, can hit WM up more easily the next few day and they say $35. I'll report back what I find.

I also compared to my local Honda dealership, They told me $100 for cutting the key, then an hour of shop time to program (I think about another $100), as they would not clone but only re-program. So what I've found so far is $200 dealer, $66 Ace, $40 Walmart. Tentative; I'll confirm next week once I have it cut and tested.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back