How to clean wood trim?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tried to do research online and here but have found little information.

Just purchased my first car with real wood interior trim. 2015 Lexus GS 350. The wood is matte finish. For interior cleaning I use Griots or Surf City. Was thinking of using a wood cleaner for fine furniture but wasn’t sure if it would affect the coating the manufacturer applied.

Your insight would be welcome!

Bona hardwood floor cleaner. I think that is what the Lexus dealership i previously worked for used. It works wonders and doesn't leave residue.

Originally Posted By: 97prizm
Bona hardwood floor cleaner. I think that is what the Lexus dealership i previously worked for used. It works wonders and doesn't leave residue.

Thanks. Have it at home. My wife uses it.

A couple of drops of dawn in about a qt of water and wipe it down with a damp microfiber. Nothing more needed the wood on this car is coated with poly so no oils, waxes or anything else will permeate to the wood.
On old vehicles like those from the 50's and 60's that used oiled veneers the same things that work on uncoated wood furniture worked well, oils and butchers wax finish.

I clean my hardwood floor and furniture with tea. I make a bucket of tea (cheap black tea) and let it cool to room temperature and apply it with a microfibre. Works great.

Originally Posted By: rooflessVW
It's plastic. Use an interior detailer.

No, really. This is real wood as touted as a feature in the brochure.

Originally Posted By: MajorCavalry

Yup...in 2015 they started using real wood and aluminum mounting inserts.

Its real wood in this car but its poly coated so there is nothing getting past the coating to the wood itself, the back side of the piece is not coated so the wood can "breath".

Originally Posted By: Trav

Its real wood in this car but its poly coated so there is nothing getting past the coating to the wood itself, the back side of the piece is not coated so the wood can "breath".

...and mounted with some aluminum to help avoid any warping over time...

Coated with plastic.

It's not furniture. Wipe it down as you would the rest of the interior.

It's not furniture. Wipe it down as you would the rest of the interior.

That's about the size of it.

Just purchased my first car with real wood interior trim. 2015 Lexus GS 350. The wood is matte finish. For interior cleaning I use Griots or Surf City. Was thinking of using a wood cleaner for fine furniture but wasn’t sure if it would affect the coating the manufacturer applied.

I'd keep using Surf City. My favorite interior detailer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back