How stupid can people be?

Can you provide any specific stories?
At the University we provide staff/faculty with work computers, which are obviously only to be used for work and security purposes. For faculty doing research, the research they do that is University funded is property of the University. This one particular faculty member, who was a department head, decided he wanted to use his own personal computer instead of the work computer. We found out because he complained he couldn't access network printers from his personal laptop (they are blocked). The reason he wanted to use his personal device, was because he was using his University research for his own consulting business.... while at work.

• Wow
Reactions: Pew
At the University we provide staff/faculty with work computers, which are obviously only to be used for work and security purposes. For faculty doing research, the research they do that is University funded is property of the University. This one particular faculty member, who was a department head, decided he wanted to use his own personal computer instead of the work computer. We found out because he complained he couldn't access network printers from his personal laptop (they are blocked). The reason he wanted to use his personal device, was because he was using his University research for his own consulting business.... while at work.

Wow that's a big oof....our CFO would have taken out the ole non-disclosure agreement and slapped it in their hands while being walked out.

I know.... Loaded question.

The place I work for has about 30 trucks and 50 or so pieces of equipment like bulldozers,excavators etc.

Everything has a gps tracker on it. Every employee knows this.

They have fired 3 guys this in the last 4 weeks or so for taking company vehicles to places they should not be.

Caught one guy doing side work on company time with company tractor. Another guy was going bar hopping on weekends in his assigned truck.

Now today they fired a guy for going out of route every day to the same house,every morning in the company truck on company time. Don't know if he has girl on the side or drugs or what.

How stupid does a person have to be to know they are being tracked but still does stuff to get caught?

What's the kicker is that the company does allow us to stop if on route to grab food as long as we don't take too long.
LOTS of NOT very smart people out there today

Can you provide any specific stories?
I'm in the private sector and friends with some of the IT people. They are great IT people. Very nice and everything works and when it doesn't, they fix it promptly. One our MDs was fired a few years ago and I was curious why. She seemed like a nice lady. It was an IT issue. She put in a work ticket to have someone in IT replace the paper in her printer. IT informed her that each employee is expected to fill the paper in their printer and they'd be happy to show her how. She didn't like that answer and thought it beneath her. One thing let to another and the CEO said that we mean it when we say leave your ego at the door and out she went.

So glad I got my working years in before I had a GPS installed up my b…t. When I worked the railroad back in the late 70’s we could knock off 8 hours of work in about 3. Then keep the locomotive running (some hadn’t been shut down in decades) and either cock up (sleep) or find a quiet siding and go into town for a bite. Was it the right thing to do, of course not. Engineer would disconnect the brake handle and take it with him so the locomotive couldn’t move. That’s how it was done. I was just a freshman brakeman with nothing to say.

I'm in the private sector and friends with some of the IT people. They are great IT people. Very nice and everything works and when it doesn't, they fix it promptly. One our MDs was fired a few years ago and I was curious why. She seemed like a nice lady. It was an IT issue. She put in a work ticket to have someone in IT replace the paper in her printer. IT informed her that each employee is expected to fill the paper in their printer and they'd be happy to show her how. She didn't like that answer and thought it beneath her. One thing let to another and the CEO said that we mean it when we say leave your ego at the door and out she went.
I’ve experienced that before, when I recommended to a svp in Hr that rather than replace her battery, she get a new BlackBerry with a 2 year contract (this is maybe 2007). She forwarded my email to the cio saying who the hell is this person telling me how much things cost when I am a svp. If I want a battery or a new phone I will say so.

Read, "The Curse of the High IQ," by Aaron Cleary. The struggle is real. Dealing with the inept, inconsiderate, stupid, selfish, greedy, moronic people of the world... I understand why folks want to be hermits.

The famous saying applies.

IT IS BETTER TO ASK FORGIVENESS THAN PERMISSION.
----------

ALSO, this is Gen Z, they don´t work as hard.
-----------
and good thing your company can get replacement drivers quickly, here we are still suffering from a employee shortage, nice you can just have a turnover rate without labor shortages!
-----------------
...and if your company is scraping change from the seats, instead of stealing competitors labor and business, your company is going south.

Last edited:
Just wrap them in tinfoil.

I wonder how many people know, and just don't care?
They are going to do it until fired, then they move on.
There is a worker shortage in some places, so not hard to get a new job. That new job is likely an upgrade, sign on bonus, and such.

When I was young and worked for someone else, and 3 of us were ready to move on, we started a game to see what it would take to get fired. **** that was a lot of fun!

So glad I got my working years in before I had a GPS installed up my b…t. When I worked the railroad back in the late 70’s we could knock off 8 hours of work in about 3. Then keep the locomotive running (some hadn’t been shut down in decades) and either cock up (sleep) or find a quiet siding and go into town for a bite. Was it the right thing to do, of course not. Engineer would disconnect the brake handle and take it with him so the locomotive couldn’t move. That’s how it was done. I was just a freshman brakeman with nothing to say.
If the job was that easy, why did you quit?

There was a manager at my employer that was arrested for going to a Chris Hansen style undercover sting operation. I read the official police report and this CREEP said he went to the house just to speak with the 15 year old girl. :rolleyes: Company had to pick up his company car at impound yard, the guy was also communicating with undercover female officer with his company cellphone.

Luckily he was arrested and fired….. but the company said nothing about why he was no longer with company. :censored: 🤫

The guy is now a registered sex offender for life. He was making approx $250K a year in his upper level management position.

Last edited:
If the job was that easy, why did you quit?
Schedule was crazy and I was only getting about 20 hours a week. Job was crazy dangerous back then, knew a few guys with a lot more seniority than me that managed to get “coupled up” thru bad luck or carelessness. Should I have stayed? I’ll never know.

I know.... Loaded question.

The place I work for has about 30 trucks and 50 or so pieces of equipment like bulldozers,excavators etc.

Everything has a gps tracker on it. Every employee knows this.

They have fired 3 guys this in the last 4 weeks or so for taking company vehicles to places they should not be.

Caught one guy doing side work on company time with company tractor. Another guy was going bar hopping on weekends in his assigned truck.

Now today they fired a guy for going out of route every day to the same house,every morning in the company truck on company time. Don't know if he has girl on the side or drugs or what.

How stupid does a person have to be to know they are being tracked but still does stuff to get caught?

What's the kicker is that the company does allow us to stop if on route to grab food as long as we don't take too long.
I worked at Advance Auto for a brief time until stuff happened. I was hired the same time as a driver. I was in my mid-30s and she was a young girl, about 23. She had the driving job, those chain parts stores they give YOU the job of trying to sell everything (like fuel cleaners) to customers that don't want them, so they can say your sales are low . Scam and a gimmick. Anyways...

Well, she wasn't very serious about the job, and I remember being very close to the office when something told them she was either 20 or 30 minutes late, or "off route" as @Chris142 mentioned. Well, man, did that not sit well with them and their first priority was getting the keys back from her for their vehicle before leveling the news that she was being let go immediately........

In her defense, if trying different jobs before finding the one that "fits" your was the idea then I think the situation went down just about perfectly. That was a company vehicle. These parts deliveries now, frequently they want people (like myself, I've tried this) to deliver parts in their own personal vehicle and well it frequently turns out to be just not worth it in that arrangement. And I've tried.

As to "How stupid can people be".... oh my my my. Come to New Jersey...

The guy is now a registered sex offender for life. He was making approx $250K a year in his upper level management position.

Now that's the kind of example you will find I think is "Peak BITOG" without actually being reflective of anyone on BITOG. This is the only web forum on the Internet worth using. I stand by this to this day. I'm on 2 others but they just aren't worth my time and hassle. BITOG rules. 👑

Well - some here even tell us how people don't slack when WFH. Yeah right. But that's more human nature than idiocy.

But stupid? The king of stupid are people who pay good money for silver and/or gold and have some supposed honest guy hold the precious metals. With amazing regularity these fake bullion dealers are found out to be holding NOTHING. Money? Gone!

Back